How many people are using there e-bike off-road?

SRS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 30, 2012
South Coast
:) http://www.weathermodification.com

Seriously, there's a beautiful cinder track path three-quarters of the way out to this village then the 'yellow brick road' abrubtly concludes into something only EddiePJ would enjoy ;)
Only teasing.

Theres nothing worse than a decent path that turns into bog part way along.
Sounds like a situation where people may have to try and generate some sort of sponsorship.

EddiePJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2013
Crowborough, East Sussex
www.facebook.com
Time to give the Space Shuttle a very well deserved and thorough refresh.
Brakes serviced.
All bearing points stripped and checked.
Pedals stripped and re greased.
Wheels trued, spoke tightened, and bearings checked.
Suspension thoroughly checked over.
Gear selection cable changed as precaution.
New chain.
New front sprocket.
New rear cassette. The first three gears have worn out.
Jockey wheels replaced, and rear mech thoroughly deep cleaned and checked.
Paint work touched up where required.

Start of work.

In the meantime, I have been reacquainted with my favourite bike, the Ultra 1964. Laziness has meant that I had forgotten just how good that this bike is, and just how much fun that it is to ride. It feels so light, floats over mud, skips across holes, and is just so easy to ride and throw about. When funds permit, I can see my trying a Myroon. :)

I used todays ride to go out exploring potentially new routes for the e-mtb, and took a hand saw along with me to clear branches etc to open up tracks. It was such a lovely day. Sunny, warm, no people anywhere, and just the company of birds and deer. The bracken, gorse, and damp forest soil, all offered up a lovely smell that made you feel somehow alive. Those smells have been hidden away for far too long during this long and seemingly wet winter. Roll on springtime. :)

Last edited:

EddiePJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2013
Crowborough, East Sussex
www.facebook.com
Very envious Wicky. Certainly a lovely day for a ride. :)

The Macina Lycan is still on it's hols, so I've been busy making the most of the Ultra 1964. I really do love riding this bike, and the shot below was taken yesterday, as I had been out the night before on it for what was probably the most scary ride of my life.
My self and the lad that I now ride with a fair bit had ventured into a woodland used by many mtb riders, but it's one that we had never been into and it is very easy to get lost in.
We ventured onto a very narrow off camber footpath that was covered with roots for it's 1 mile length, along with stone and tree stumps.
Being very off camber, it was hard to ride at a constant pace and to the lower side, was just a sheer drop into nothingness, that had what sounded like a fast flowing river somewhere at it's bottom. It is one time that I was grateful for having someone with me, and also for not being on the e-mtb.
The ride was 21 miles long, and I got back indoors at about 11.00pm, soaking wet and muddy. I don't thing that my much better half was amused!

I really can't get enough of riding off road. :)

Reactions: TinKitten

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Went for a 15 mile ride late morning today through two wooded parks and a private estate with some public access. Noticeably the out of the way rough/boggy tracks have started to dry out a little leaving some ruts in places, though in the deeper forest areas every where is still very wet and boggy. Bike still pretty well got plastered would have kept going but my new saddle wasn't very comfortable only hope it improves, the model is a Selle Italia xo, which saddle's are other off roaders finding comfy for longer rides. Also forgot to take my bike cam with me doh :(.

SRS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 30, 2012
South Coast
To me, make of saddle is not important. A flattish and wide sit bone area is along with minimal padding.

I think thick padding maybe ok for a shopper but would cause pain on any long ride.

Having said that I can't say that saddle discomfort in general is something that I have ever really suffered from.

EddiePJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2013
Crowborough, East Sussex
www.facebook.com
Saddle wise, the Haibike Cross had a good a good quality Selle saddle, but I found it uncomfortable and changed it very quickly for a £20.00 Charge Spoon.

The saddles on the two KTM mtb's are seemingly perfect for me, yet the soft comfy shopping saddle on the KTM ladies shopping bike that I am currently playing with felt painfully uncomfortable after just a couple of miles.

Saddles are a very personal thing, and it seems as though what suits one person, might not suit another.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Thanks EPJ & SRS. My selle is padded and to the touch you would have thought it should be comfy, I think for now I will swap it with my other bike saddle which is fine and hope it will bed in after some use.

baldylox

Pedelecer
May 25, 2012
Hants/Wilts border
I recently got a charge spoon saddle (£20) to replace the original lightweight Gobi saddle which was supplied with my trance. I have to say the spoon is a bleedin' marvel and huge improvement in comfort for me but I suppose I was lucky and the reviews (Amazon) proved good for me.
Although some may find it comfy for others it could prove a nightmare!

Reactions: EddiePJ

EddiePJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2013
Crowborough, East Sussex
www.facebook.com
The Charge Spoon must definitely rate as an all time classic saddle. No idea what makes it so great, but it is. :)

The e-mtb should all be back together by Tuesday evening of this week, and it has certainly had a thorough work through.
In some respects I'm almost sad to be getting it back together, as I have been enjoying the peddle mtb so much. I expect that the convenience and ease of use of the e-mtb will creep back in, but I am determined to persevere and get fitter, by continuing to use the Ultra 1964. :)

Local iron oxide stream. I have now managed to work riding down some of this stream into a ride.
In winter time, I have also been known to wade across it when it's levels rise to approx knee deep. It can be bloody freezing in the middle of winter, but it cuts several hard miles of riding out, and when the battery is low, it's the easier option. Wearing Gore-Tex mtb riding shoes has the big advantage of keeping normal mud and water out, but they also act as a catchment area as well. It isn't a nice feeling.
Hard to believe, but this stretch of water has also claimed the lives of several children over the years, including two in one day. One in the morning, and one in the afternoon. :(

Moments before getting a slow puncture. Thankfully I made it home for once before having to fix the tube. I've been putting off swapping the tyres on this for something more grippy, so the puncture prompted me to put the Rocket Rons that I removed from the Macina Lycan onto this bike.

This was and is one of my favourite local ride routes which covers several hundred acres. Sadly forestry work has now all but destroyed every single road and track within the woodland. :(

This another section that I love riding, but have yet to master. It's very technical, and seems to change with each ride. I have no idea why this route looks so well used. It's a long way away from where walkers generally trek, and I have yet to see another set of mtb tyre tracks on it. Very odd.

Finally, something that has been getting me increasingly angry, and is also something that I am seeing with increasing regularity. Lazy scum that hang their dog poo hanging in bags from trees.

Last edited:

EddiePJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2013
Crowborough, East Sussex
www.facebook.com
Good to have your input to the thread Geoff. :)

Got to admit, that the bike does look very nice in black. The trail also looks to be very dry as well. :) I had another mixed bag of a ride last night, with some tracks being dry, others with mud well above shoe level, the were impossible to ride through, and other tracks that were starting to dry, but were chewed up by horses and just as impassable. One such track sent me over the handle bars last night, for the third time in as many weeks! The front end just fell into a hole that had been left by a horse, the bike stopped dead, and over I went!
Last night was still one very good ride though, although we were riding in an unknown area, and got lost several times. Night time isn't the best time to be out trying new routes. At least we got back before 10.00pm last night. The week before it had been nearly midnight by the time I had got in!

It still wasn't a good feeling to open the shed tonight, and to see a crudded up bike waiting for me. Blurred photo I'm afraid.

I'm not working tomorrow, and will be out on the e-mtb searching for a lost dog. A local group have asked if I could help out, so who am I to refuse. I haven't been out on the e-mtb for a couple of weeks, and in truth, I'm going to miss not using the pedal mtb. I've been so enjoying riding it.

Last edited:

Advertisers