How many people are using there e-bike off-road?

mrgeoff

Pedelecer
Mar 12, 2015
UK
There are some muddy bits in places, but its mostly dry around here, more deep sand than mud!
I know what you mean about horses… I'm feeling quite angry I can't really trail ride in the countryside anymore (I probably went slower on my trail bike than I try to on the ebike) only to find horses have been chewing up the trails in places, making them damn near in-passible in places where it is muddy or sandy, not like they keep to the middle, they have to chew up the entire xxxxing trail, not leaving an inch of easy going for walkers or cyclists.

Ban the horses. Oh no, all the MPs daughters wouldn't be able to pony around destroying the countryside thats supposed to be for everyone….

LOL, can't please everyone can we ;)

Geoff.

Croxden

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2013
North Staffs
Bridle paths are primarily for horses, bikes are secondary. Quad bikes are not allowed but they do smooth out the track making it better for an old man on his bike, I would still tell them off though.

Kinninvie

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 5, 2013
Teesdale,England
Had a little ride out through Hamsterley forest followed by a ride along the old railway from Bishop Auckland to Brandon then back through the forest trails again.
Things are drying up a bit now so will get the camera back out next week .

https://www.strava.com/activities/270184047

EddiePJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2013
Crowborough, East Sussex
www.facebook.com
I spent a bit of today on a chilled 17 mile ride searching for a lost dog. I've kind of become involved with it, after sighting it whilst out on a ride a month ago. There's a lot of people either trying to find it, and or finance the search effort. I offered to help again today, simply because the areas that it has now been sighted at, are pretty much the areas that I'm negotiating sole riding rights over, and as I ride both woodlands already, I know every inch of the terrain. Sadly no luck finding though. :(

Two bikes to wash and clean now! It felt a cop out using the e-mtb today, but one of my knees is giving me major grief again. I'm pretty fecked off over this, as I have been putting the extra effort into riding the pedal mtb, and don't want my fitness to slip. :(

Last edited:

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Set off this morning not knowing where to go and decided to try CN r21 to East Grinstead and then on to Groombridge, from there I ended up in Crowborough past the Tesco via Eridge and Rothersfield. An unexciting ride with little in the way of any challenges, most of the route uses an old railway cutting. Some nice speedy parts between Eridge and Rothersfield, clocked 44.5 mph on one descent around country lanes and some bends.
Return journey by the same route up to Eridge is mainly uphill in parts which the oxydrive cst coped with very well, had to be more conservative with battery usage on the way home as I had used up over half (with a speedier ride on the way out) and finally ran out of juice at Forest Row. All told journey was about 62km with last 15km unassisted form the Oxydrive, at this time inclines needed more effort to go up but once on the straight and narrow I was able to pedal upto 17mph unassisted.

mrgeoff

Pedelecer
Mar 12, 2015
UK
Tried to use the app "mapmyride" to record my trip up St Martha"s and Pewley Down, but the app quit :(
Nice 5 mile ride up and down the hills. There are a few twisty downhill mountain bike tracks going down from the church, I went up one…. ;)

The tracks have really dried out in the last week, no mud at all!

I did meet a fellow ebiker at the top of St Martha's, he seemed to be having fun too :)

Geoff.

Reactions: TinKitten

TinKitten

Pedelecer
Feb 26, 2014
Abergavenny
www.pottylou.co.uk
Mrgeoff, I use Viewranger as my GPS mapping. It's easy to use and upload from and it's free. Having said that, I did try once to plot a course on my computer and download it to my phone and try as I might, I couldn't get rid of the first waypoint in the African ocean! But other than my ineptitude with that, I recommend it.

EddiePJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2013
Crowborough, East Sussex
www.facebook.com
Set off this morning not knowing where to go and decided to try CN r21 to East Grinstead and then on to Groombridge, from there I ended up in Crowborough past the Tesco via Eridge and Rothersfield. An unexciting ride with little in the way of any challenges, most of the route uses an old railway cutting. Some nice speedy parts between Eridge and Rothersfield, clocked 44.5 mph on one descent around country lanes and some bends.
Return journey by the same route up to Eridge is mainly uphill in parts which the oxydrive cst coped with very well, had to be more conservative with battery usage on the way home as I had used up over half (with a speedier ride on the way out) and finally ran out of juice at Forest Row. All told journey was about 62km with last 15km unassisted form the Oxydrive, at this time inclines needed more effort to go up but once on the straight and narrow I was able to pedal upto 17mph unassisted.
My local area. I hardly ever ride the old railway line. It is just plain boring, and I tend to use either the road, or the many bridleways that intersect between Forest Row and Rotherfield.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
My local area. I hardly ever ride the old railway line. It is just plain boring, and I tend to use either the road, or the many bridleways that intersect between Forest Row and Rotherfield.
Certainly right there Eddie, the best part was the road from G/B to C/B.
The only thing that intrigued me along the old railway line was the wreckage of a plane in a paddock/field set up for eventing between F/R and the old Hartfield Station.

EddiePJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2013
Crowborough, East Sussex
www.facebook.com
I haven't been along it for a while, so haven't seen the plane.

You did sadly miss out on some pretty good off road stuff though. Next time that you are over this way, you will have to let me know. You could re charge the battery here, then I'll take you back to forest Row using a far more interesting route. :)

I ventured out tonight for my regular Wednesday local evening ride with a lad that I have been riding with recently, and we now also have a third person to tag along with us as well. He was 6'6" tall, ten years younger, and I thought crap, no wonder your times on Strava are quick. I was once again on the pedal only mtb, and I just can't now get enough of riding it. I'm putting in more miles on that than I am the e-mtb. Tonight's ride was just a touch over 20 miles, and for the most part, it was pretty dry. Sadly the new lad fell off, and hit the deck pretty hard, but I think that embarrassment made him get back up pretty quick.

Last edited:

EddiePJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2013
Crowborough, East Sussex
www.facebook.com
Things turned slightly wet and muddy again for this mornings quick 20 mile ride. At least the rain that started towards the end of the ride, made the bike easy to clean.

Slippery when wet! Note the sideways skid marks that were made when the front end let go a bit. Clipless pedals are great fun in conditions such as this! ;)

Last edited:

EddiePJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2013
Crowborough, East Sussex
www.facebook.com
Another night ride and sadly not the best of photos. The weather was horrendous, with very strong wind, and horizontal rain. Then the fog came down, and I could barley see 3 metres in front of the bike. Still better than being stuck indoors though.

Different colour mud for a change. This shot was moments after picking myself up out of the mud. :oops:

Pretty much the start of the ride.

Strange how two photos can make the conditions look so different.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Had another outing today of about 22miles/36km, from home I cycled to St Leonards Forest nr Horsham and then on to Warninglid, Bolney and returned home via Wykehurst Park,Slaugham, Handcross and Old House Warren Forestry land. 40 - 45km appears to be the limit for the Oxydrive battery I set off using assist level 1 and 3 in the speed setting occasionally upping the speed to 4 and returned home with 2 bars left on the lcd. 50/50 was the use of road and off road today and much better then last weeks bland journey to Crowborough and home on the cycle route 21.

St Leonards Forest;
DSCF0001.JPG

Steep climb towards Plummers Plain;
DSCF0006.JPG
Thick mud after Bolney;
DSCF0009.JPG
and more
DSCF0008.JPG

Obstacle on footpath transitting Wykehurst Park;
DSCF0012.JPG

Open fields after Warninglid;
DSCF0013.JPG

Muckybike at home;DSCF0014.JPG

mountainsport

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 6, 2012
Things turned slightly wet and muddy again for this mornings quick 20 mile ride. At least the rain that started towards the end of the ride, made the bike easy to clean.

Slippery when wet! Note the sideways skid marks that were made when the front end let go a bit. Clipless pedals are great fun in conditions such as this! ;)

My friend EddiePJ, you are really getting your muddies worth out of that poor bike.:)

MS.

Reactions: EddiePJ

mountainsport

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 6, 2012
More fun mostly off road. Did include two pubs and one lunch.
I was really loving your video UNTIL.... realising that your mates riding along with you had no motors. No wonder they couldn't make the last bit of hill at the end of the video.:) Anyway, still good video.

MS.

martinb

Pedelecer
Jan 28, 2015
Leicestershire
Don't be concerned mountain sport two of the guys in the video have just taken delivery of the same haibikes.
Off road Saturday for us this weekend will try to add another video.

Advertisers