How many people are using there e-bike off-road?

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

Steve UKLSRA

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 29, 2015
Porthmadog
www.ukbusas.org
At that price, I'd live with the Maxle QR lol...know where you're coming from with security tho

Reactions: soundwave

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
i just spent 80 quid on 2 new tyres lol just need the right 1.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

Jay Russell

Pedelecer
Dec 26, 2015
Pennine West Yorkshire
I thought I'd take my Cube out for a spin at Gisburn forest yesterday.

I'm not really an off road rider but since getting the electric it seemed more appealing. Started off having a lovely time riding around bottoms beck (grade blue).
It felt easily 'in grade' for me so near the end of the route I took an optional red grade section, 'swoopy'.
Started off lovely, nice and straightforward. Then there was a step rocky descent so I walked down it. Found a few shorter ones, did them properly; not too bad.
Later there's a section with optional black, I opted for the red! I'm not mad.

It was a longer bumpy descent. It took it super steady and was almost at the bottom. I clearly remember thinking "I'm, pleased I made it" when suddenly I find myself airborne heading face first for the muck.

So, I end up with a few facial cuts and grazes, bashed am and wrist and have few other aches and grazes.

Thankfully, the main damage to my bike is that my bell no longer works!

It's not put me off, just reminded me that my mountain skill set does not yet include bikes! (I'm a climber and mountaineer).

So, time to learn some basics I think.

Jay.

Reactions: Gubbins and EddiePJ

EddiePJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2013
Crowborough, East Sussex
www.facebook.com
Thanks for the write up, and hoping that you have speedy recovery.

YouTube is an invaluable place for advice about mtb riding and mtb skills.

You can do a lot worse that looking at this YouTube Channel. :)

https://www.youtube.com/user/mtbtips

This one is also very informative.

https://www.youtube.com/user/IMBIKEMAG/videos

This is another superb source of info.

http://www.mtbtips.com/beginner-mountain-biking-tips/#sthash.FYIxlgDB.iKpgDcjJ.dpbs

It has taken some finding, but buying a copy of this magazine style book is also well worth getting hold of. https://www.buysubscriptions.com/special-editions/sports-masterclass-mbuk-mountain-bike-skills

Through rock climbing you will already have a good basis for risk assessment, and achievability, and you can apply the same mind set to your riding, and indeed you did, when you walked down the rock garden. It isn't about trying to be a hero.

When I was out last week, I was riding and thinking about just how far that my riding level had risen over the last two years, and started to think about how many levels of focus and decision making go into almost every metre of riding, all of which is carried out without even thinking about it.
It's another reason that I love riding in winter conditions so much, and tackling tight root strewn and rocky technical single track. From sub consciously looking at the colour of the mud ahead, and assessing before reaching it whether it is going to be firm or wet, to bouncing off the side of a wet root to set yourself up for a section 10 metres or so ahead, using the root to steer the bike, and following this by gauging speed that is required to get you past a particular stage or section.
I guess that coming from a trials riding background helps significantly helps with this.

Shame that you weren't in my neck of the woods, as I'd happily spend a day helping you along.

Ref the rock climbing. That used to be a past time of mine as well, and amongst other places, many happy hours were spent at Harrisons, High, and Bowls Rocks. I gave it a miss for while after there was a spat of belay ropes being cut whilst people were climbing, and I never got around to going back to it. I was never really that great at it, and was somehow never agile or smooth enough. It gave me a good foundation into my first career path as a tree surgeon though.

Last edited:

Gubbins

Esteemed Pedelecer
I thought I'd take my Cube out for a spin at Gisburn forest yesterday.

I'm not really an off road rider but since getting the electric it seemed more appealing. Started off having a lovely time riding around bottoms beck (grade blue).
It felt easily 'in grade' for me so near the end of the route I took an optional red grade section, 'swoopy'.
Started off lovely, nice and straightforward. Then there was a step rocky descent so I walked down it. Found a few shorter ones, did them properly; not too bad.
Later there's a section with optional black, I opted for the red! I'm not mad.

It was a longer bumpy descent. It took it super steady and was almost at the bottom. I clearly remember thinking "I'm, pleased I made it" when suddenly I find myself airborne heading face first for the muck.

So, I end up with a few facial cuts and grazes, bashed am and wrist and have few other aches and grazes.

Thankfully, the main damage to my bike is that my bell no longer works!

It's not put me off, just reminded me that my mountain skill set does not yet include bikes! (I'm a climber and mountaineer).

So, time to learn some basics I think.

Jay.
As you are not badly hurt may I be excused for finding this mildly amusing?
It reminds me of my last "spill " which shocked my by its speed! Although only moving at single digit mph I suddenly found myself face down on the floor with the in between bit an unremembered blur.
It would seem that we risk two common cycling injuries, one being a broken collar bone and the other being damaged teeth. In my case it was a nasty gash on my chin which has healed with a small scar, and a bent nose which hasn't.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
why i have a full face helmet and arm knee pads.

some them crashes with out a helmet you be dead.

Last edited:

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
im on the bridge of the enterprise ;)

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

Reactions: stumpy150

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
no the tv is now 55 inc ;)

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

Reactions: Gubbins

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
yeah but i cant hear them :D

ray74

Pedelecer
Sep 2, 2013
Great day out at sherwood pines on the red route.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: bebbe

Advertisers