How many people do you know with e-bikes.

How many e-bikers do you know (not including other forum users)

• 0 - None - Not even me.

Votes: 1 2.1%
  • 1 - (Just Myself)

Votes: 27 56.3%

Votes: 14 29.2%

Votes: 2 4.2%
  • More than 5

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • More than 10

Votes: 2 4.2%

• Total voters

Fecn

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 28, 2008
Warlingham, Surrey
Including yourself, but not including any other forum members, how many e-bikers do you know. In my case, there's now Myself, My wife, My Dad, My mate Matt, and my mate John... That's 5 people I know altogether.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Amazingly Fecn, still only myself and the Henshaws of A to B fame who are not forum members, though I did see a Lafree parked at Selsdon one day, without seeing the owner. I've never even seen another member e-biking, though I met a member who has since made an e-trike which he's mentioned in here.

Phil the drill

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 14, 2008
TR9
Same for me. I have seen the odd ebike around very occasionally (once or twice a year!), but I don't actually know any others in my area.
Several who have seen and had a go on mine have been interested in getting their own, but to date they haven't actually taken the plunge.....
Phil

WALKERMAN

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2008
I haven't seen many up in the N.E. England.

I think what puts people right off is the cost of an ebike.

You can get a motor scooter for less than my ProConnect.

What would the total price be for a basic, fairly lightweight bike with a panasonic motor and battery fitted?

Surely someone in the UK could set-up making such a bike which would sell at a sensible price, and then more would be sold.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I haven't seen many up in the N.E. England.

I think what puts people right off is the cost of an ebike.

You can get a motor scooter for less than my ProConnect.

What would the total price be for a basic, fairly lightweight bike with a panasonic motor and battery fitted?

Surely someone in the UK could set-up making such a bike which would sell at a sensible price, and then more would be sold.
The design and tooling costs for something as sophisticated as the Panasonic unit would be too large to entertain as a risk. Only the Japanese market made it worth it for Panasonic originally, the worldwide sales of the original unit outside of Japan only averaging 3000 a year with the Lafree, which was actually loss making. Even Heinzmann in Germany with international sales have never updated their old brush motor design.

It's a dilemma, the market is far too small to invest in, and would larger and cheaper production produce radically larger sales? In Britain I don't think so, as in the USA, the car is king and bicycles in any form struggle to become the mass transport they once were.

Vikki

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 12, 2009
People at work ask me why I don't get a moped. I say 'It would put me back on the road and back in the jams.'

I like sailing past the cars as they queue to enter the single lane from the dual lane road. I got to really hate that part of my journey as, no matter how laid back I tried to feel about it, it got longer and longer as each week went by. My Wisper gives me door to door without the chore.

Vikki :D

nigel

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 18, 2006
Must confess i dont know any e bikers but i was out shopping on friday and a lady came over to me with her son and said she was also kalkhoff owner:D so that was a nice surprise. I do wish that cycle shops would take a gamble and try to sale these brillant bikes i am sure if they were in the front shop window they would get plenty of intrest. PS my kalkhoff is fantastic on hills we have a few steep ones in southampton:) :D Nigel.

rustic

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 31, 2008
North Essex
I currently stand proud as the 2.17% representative of '0' (including myself).

I don't own an electric bike, I don't know anyone who owns one & rarely see them around North Essex / Suffolk borders.

Please feel free to 'break my duck' & pop over & say hi if you live anywhere local.:) :)