How often do you meet other members of the pedelecs site?

tenderbehind

Pedelecer
Oct 31, 2008
Not very often perhaps, but it happened yesterday, I was waiting for one of the Wight Link ferries to take me back to the mainland at Lymington, Hants after working on the island - one of the other ferries had broken down with serious gear failure and as I waited I saw two e cyclists on Kalkhoffs, I went over to them and we chatted about things pedelec, we met up again later on the ferry, and perhaps one or two trips together might result.
Just wondered, when and if other pedelec members have met other members from the site ''on the road'' that they have not already known.

Last edited:

themutiny

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 26, 2009
Certainly haven't done in the way you describe, only ever by pre-arrangement. Still, I live in hope! :D

eddieo

Banned
Jul 7, 2008
We need lurid pedelecs members cycling Hi-Vi & shirts!:D

carpetbagger

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 20, 2007
blackburn
We need lurid pedelecs members cycling Hi-Vi & shirts!:D
Now there is a business opportunity for somebody ,
t-shirts,fleeces,waterproofs,shorts,panniers,helmets, etc all sporting the pedelecs logo and website.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Yes, I did meet one member on the road, SteveW, but he was on an ordinary bike, not riding electric at the time. Nor was I, since my battery had run out!

Not the best advert for electric assist bikes!

Still, it maintained my record of never having seen an electric assist bike being ridden on the road in my area.

Fecn

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 28, 2008
Warlingham, Surrey
I bumped into a chap with a Quando at East Croydon station.... and another chap with a Torq in Reigate - However... neither one was actually riding their bikes at the time.

I too have never seen one being ridden in our area. (except for when I've arranged it... My Wife, Mum, Dad and a couple of friends are also e-bikers)

eddieo

Banned
Jul 7, 2008
My daily exercise route takes me through Croydon most days.

Flecc, how did you and Steve W recognise each other? where you both towing monster trailers I wonder:D

pedelecs and wisper should get together and produce a Hi-Vi with a percentage going to a charity.....To some one deserving, like the "when Eddieo eventually gets knocked of his bike in London fund"

Last edited:

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Flecc, how did you and Steve W recognise each other? where you both towing monster trailers I wonder:D
I was wondering if anyone would ask that!

It happened as I pushed my unassisted bike across some rough ground to join a side road near to my home just as Steve crossed slowly from a major lane into the service road I was entering, bringing us face to face. Seeing mine as an electric with me not using the power triggered Steve opening the conversation, and he guessed from my Q-bike which had been published in here who I was, at which he introduced himself as a member.

Your guess at huge trailers was much closer to the mark than you could have guessed! Steve had bought a trike which he was to equip with a Cyclone Motor for pulling a large trailer, so we are both large trailer users.

As an aside, I had run out of battery deliberately for a range check but had a spare battery with me, the one from the Torq Radical. That runs at a voltage fractionally too high for the Q-bike controller which I normally correct for Q-bike use, but I'd forgotten to discharge it slightly beforehand for the Q-bike, hence my then being stuck with loads of charge I couldn't use. :(

Last edited:

eddieo

Banned
Jul 7, 2008
I was wondering if anyone would ask that!

It happened as I pushed my unassisted bike across some rough ground to join a side road near to my home just as Steve crossed slowly from a major lane into the service road I was entering, bringing us face to face. Seeing mine as an electric with me not using the power triggered Steve opening the conversation, and he guessed from my Q-bike which had been published in here who I was, at which he introduced himself as a member.

Your guess at huge trailers was much closer to the mark than you could have guessed! Steve had bought a trike which he was to equip with a Cyclone Motor for pulling a large trailer, so we are both large trailer users.

As an aside, I had run out of battery deliberately for a range check but had a spare battery with me, the one from the Torq Radical. That runs at a voltage fractionally too high for the Q-bike controller which I normally correct for Q-bike use, but I'd forgotten to discharge it slightly beforehand for the Q-bike, hence my then being stuck with loads of charge I couldn't use. :(
Steve W (of bicycle repair man fame) came around to my place to sort out the jammed front wheel on my wifes 705SE. this was shortly after I bought it and a wisper warranty repair. Yes a thoroughly nice chap! and I picked up a lot (monkey see monkey do:eek: ) from him in the time he was here.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Yes, I remember that Eddie. Steve is indeed a nice chap who knows his stuff, and I hope his bicycle rescue and repair business flourishes.

Phil [OnBike]

Pedelecer
May 21, 2009
Good question and I've met a lot of 'Pedelecers' over time, but not in surprising places - mainly Tour de Presteigne, people visiting OnBike itself and the Ching Challenge.

I was manning the BEBA stand on Friday, at the Cycle Show in London, and "Phil the Drill" stopped by - Never met him before and what a pleasant chap! :)

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
Meeting

It's been great for Pedelec member spotting at the show, I too met Phil the Drill, but also Tolstoy62, and of course Phil(Onbike) and Tim amongst many others.

Perhaps we should all wear a button hole, a forget-me-not? :)

How about an I Spy book of Pedelecers? :D

All the best David