How small/short a person can e-folders be adjusted for?

Liz

Pedelecer
May 5, 2011
Hi - second time posting here, my first was 10 years ago then my plans has to suddenly change ...
I need a folding e-bike. My budget is around £1,000, maximum £1,500.
I am a 'former' fairly-serious cyclist until I suddenly developed a form of increasing sight loss - miraculously repaired by a superb surgeonlast year, during 'the long summer of Covid' - so of course now I want to cycle again, and am cleared to do so by my surgeon and optometrist.
However, electric bikes do not seem to come in many 'sizes', and this is my dilemma, as I am very small - barely 4ft 11"/149cm and will only shrink further as time goes on as I'm in my mid seventies.
I used to ride an Isla bike (sadly sold when there seemed no solution for my sight loss), with an XS frame (13" or 14" I think) with shorter cranks, slightly narrower bars and an adjustable stem, which fitted me well and was supremely comfortable for day and longer touring.
I've just emailed several e-bike suppliers to ask if their 'off the shelf' e-folders can be modified in the stem, seatpost and/or cranks to 'fit' smaller people, and am awaiting replies. As other short-*rses will know, it's not just the distance from saddle to pedal that is the issue, but the crank length, the reach/stretch to the bars, their width and a whole host of other issues involving both comfort and safety.
If an adaptation of an off-the-shelf bike isn't possible, I'm wondering how close to 'plug and play' are the conversion kits widely advertised? Some appear to be available with a pre-built wheel, hub motor already mounted, ready to 'slot' into place, almost, with what seems to amount to not much more than some threading up and connection of cables, in addition, and secure fixing of the battery holder (drilled holes, screws, nuts etc?).
I am no engineer or mechanic, and don't have a workshop of any sort but I happily fettle knitting and sewing machines and am not afraid of a spot of drilling or soldering. If I can't get alterations done on an off-the-shelf e-folder, I had an idea that I could buy a decent 2nd hand folder (Tern or Dahon 20" or 24" wheel I was thinking), make it fit me - or pay to get it made to fit me - with new cranks, stem etc - then add the e-kit thus avoiding any bike shop involvement or rather non-involvement with the 'e' bit of it.

Thoughts? Ideas? Suggestions? I think I'd actually prefer to go the 'off the shelf' route, but I know of nowhere within a day's travel where I could try one out to see and feel just HOW much adaptation it might need.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
folding bikes have a very wide range of seat height.
The Woosh Rambletta for example can be supplied with a non-suspension seat post for very short riders, the saddle can be as low as 72cm from the ground.

Reactions: artspeck
D

Deleted member 33385

The seat on my Dahon Helios P8 can go down to 70cm from the ground. It could go lower, with a less padded seat.

• Informative
Reactions: Woosh

Liz

Pedelecer
May 5, 2011
It's not a folder, it's well outside my affordability range, it's limited to 'kid's speed' (12.5mph), it's not available until next midwinter and it's probably not rated for an adult's solid and muscular weight. Sorry!

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
you can remove the speed limit and go jumping on it you wont brake it but not cheap, looks nice tho ;)

Liz

Pedelecer
May 5, 2011
folding bikes have a very wide range of seat height.
The Woosh Rambletta for example can be supplied with a non-suspension seat post for very short riders, the saddle can be as low as 72cm from the ground.
It's not how far it is from the ground so much as how far it is from the pedal at the pedal's lowest point - and there's the reach from seated position to the bars to consider, too. Those of us who have short legs often have short arms to match. How is this catered for?

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

D

Deleted member 33385

It's not how far it is from the ground so much as how far it is from the pedal at the pedal's lowest point
I've just lowered the seat on my Dahon Helios P8 and it's about 58cm from seat to lowest position of the pedal, can be shorter with a less padded seat than I'm using.

and there's the reach from seated position to the bars to consider, too.
...about 42cm with handlebars straight, sitting upright, and with handlebars set as low as possible.

Mine's a very old bike, the new Dahons might cater for a similarly wide range of heighted persons. Best get something newer.

Last edited:

Liz

Pedelecer
May 5, 2011
you can remove the speed limit and go jumping on it you wont brake it but not cheap, looks nice tho ;)
It's not a folder, and I doubt there'll be any jumping as I'm 75 next birthday and have a gammy left leg due to too much jumping around while skiing over 50 years ago! I don't even jump on my old pony any more - I climb on carefully from a treestump! Pity I never thought to teach her to lie down while I got on ...

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
It's not how far it is from the ground so much as how far it is from the pedal at the pedal's lowest point - and there's the reach from seated position to the bars to consider, too.
The pedal at its lowest point is 13cm from the ground.
how far it is from the pedal at the pedal's lowest point: 72cm - 13cm = 59cm

Liz

Pedelecer
May 5, 2011
I've just lowered the seat on my Dahon Helios P8 and it's 58cm from seat to lowest position of the pedal, can be shorter with a less padded seat than I'm using.

...about 42cm with handlebars straight, sitting upright, and with handlebars set as low as possible.

Mine's a very old bike, the new Dahons might cater for a similarly wide range of heighted persons. Best get something newer.
Thanks that's very useful - especially the distance to the handlebars sounds OK. The 58cm from seat to lowest position of pedal is too much for me, though, and the reason I got shorter cranks on my Isla bike when I had her.

It's very helpful to know some actual measurements, rather than the usual 'suitable from this height to that height'. The issue is that those of who are 'underheight' as it were, are shorter in different ways and in different parts. When I was in my 20s I went out for quite a while with a bloke who was 6ft 8" - I met him in a swimming pool and so of course we had no idea of each other's height when he asked me out to dinner and I accepted! Actually sitting next to each other in the bar we didn't look incongruous together at all, just the usual 'smaller woman with taller man'. When we stood up though …

D

Deleted member 33385

Thanks that's very useful - especially the distance to the handlebars sounds OK. The 58cm from seat to lowest position of pedal is too much for me, though, and the reason I got shorter cranks on my Isla bike when I had her.

It's very helpful to know some actual measurements, rather than the usual 'suitable from this height to that height'. The issue is that those of who are 'underheight' as it were, are shorter in different ways and in different parts. When I was in my 20s I went out for quite a while with a bloke who was 6ft 8" - I met him in a swimming pool and so of course we had no idea of each other's height when he asked me out to dinner and I accepted! Actually sitting next to each other in the bar we didn't look incongruous together at all, just the usual 'smaller woman with taller man'. When we stood up though …
How short does the pedal to seat measurement need to be? You might be able to get shorter cranks, and/or some sort of platform pedal could be improvised, by glueing on some ABS and rubber sheeting, or somehow.

Liz

Pedelecer
May 5, 2011
How short does the pedal to seat measurement need to be? You might be able to get shorter cranks, and/or some sort of platform pedal could be improvised, by glueing on some ABS and rubber sheeting, or somehow.
Well exactly - what I am wondering is if changing the crankset on an e-folder is (a) possible and (b) would invalidate a warranty even if done in the UK by the seller. I need to see if I still have any of the paperwork from my Isla bike to see what all 'my' measurements were.

As I understand it there would usually be some sort of sensor in an ebike to detect either cadence (for hub motors) or torque ( for mid/crank motors) in order to 'ration' as it were the pedal assist, so it seems that there might be issues in changing a crankset or even shortening the cranks. Please correct me if I am wrong!

I remember - when I was young and dinosaurs roamed the earth - that kids often had wooden blocks screwed onto pedals when they moved onto their bigger brothers or sisters bike but weren't really quite long-legged enough to pedal it effectively! Not sure I really want that look, but who knows, I could 'pimp my pedals' and maybe it would start a fashion!

D

Deleted member 33385

As I understand it there would usually be some sort of sensor in an ebike to detect either cadence (for hub motors) or torque ( for mid/crank motors) in order to 'ration' as it were the pedal assist, so it seems that there might be issues in changing a crankset or even shortening the cranks. Please correct me if I am wrong!
My Bafang BBS01b kit has a mid motor, and it's has a cadence sensor (via magnet on spoke of rear wheel) - shorter cranks won't make a jot of difference to that.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: flecc
D

Deleted member 33385

I remember - when I was young and dinosaurs roamed the earth - that kids often had wooden blocks screwed onto pedals when they moved onto their bigger brothers or sisters bike but weren't really quite long-legged enough to pedal it effectively! Not sure I really want that look, but who knows, I could 'pimp my pedals' and maybe it would start a fashion!
It's a safer option than platform shoes - you could easily twist your ankles with those. Go with the laquered glitter look? ;) An expert in style would be able to advise I'm sure.

D

Deleted member 33385

If you are shortening the cranks and making adjustments - a more programmable motor might be a good idea. Whoever installs a Bafang BBS01b for you, could fine tune it for your riding requirements, whereas an off the shelf complete ebike might not be adjustable, as much.