How timely the e bike will be for me on my second chance for life

Old Timer

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 5, 2009
Sunday pm, off out for a ride, slight pain in chest area. Return home, have tea, watch tv and off to bed.
Monday am, visit to doctors with my wife (not related to sunday) walking across car park slight pain in chest:eek: doctor makes appoitment for me at hospital for check up.
Monday tea time, short kip in armchair, wake up with severe pain in chest, suffer it for 5 hrs before being forced to dial 999.
In A&E all night with more attacks and admitted to special care unit. Transferred to cardiac ward for tests.
Wednesday am, told by surgeon that I`m on my way down to special cardiac op theatre for exploring my cardio vascular system (angiogram up through wrist)) valium given and relax, awake on the table and the problem is pointed out to me ( a narrowing of the main artery feeding the heart muscle) almost completely closed off. Some small amount of damage to the heart muscle. Surgeon prepares me for an angio plasty ( small balloon and then fitting an stent inside) pain extreme as he expands the artery to make room. Watched the whole procedure on the nearby screen:eek:
30 mins later return to recovery and told I should ride the bike again one day soon. Musn`t drive my car for 4 weeks.
Thursday. after much monitoring allowed home late afternoon with more drugs than are found in boots the chemist.

So hopefully in a while to be back videoing for my public from a new point of view. Namely as a non smoker (OK abit late but better late than never)and BTW it`s not only smoking that causes it but cholesterol is a big cause.

Looks like the bike(in a while ) will be my form of transport for a while) and to be honest the expertise and dedication of those NHS staff was above reproach.

Now off to bed( in my own bed) and try to keep my wrist from leaking anymore of my precious smoke free blood. I was lucky (just I`m told) so you will have to put up with more of my videos and perhaps this time with less heavy breathing and the smoking stop will now become a fruit sweet stop (maybe a Kojac lolly or two)

Dave

NRG

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 6, 2009
Crikey Dave, glad that you are 'OK' and still with us...."put up with your videos..." we wouldn't have it any other way! :D Look after yourself...

eddieo

Banned
Jul 7, 2008
Its a hassle getting old........Hope you make a swift and comfortable recovery and don't worry! Stress is responsible for so much ill health.

Valium is great! GP prescribed it for me for flight re my back, and I slept 6 hours of the 12 hour flight...Now I never do that normally as cant sleep sitting up.

chin up old son:)

Vikki

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 12, 2009
So glad to hear you're on the road to recovery. I bet the bike is making googlie eyes at you :)

Keep them videos comin'. Might try it myself one day if I can make a camera bracket for my Flip video-cammy.

Best regards.

Vikki.

Old Timer

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 5, 2009
Thanks everyone. Had a good night and am not feeling too bad (more nervous than anything) feeling every twitch:)

Just brings it all home to you just how vulnerable we all are. I`ll do as I`m told this time for once and take it easy for a while.( must get that new saddle on the bike:D

Dave

Last edited:

CeeGee

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 4, 2009
Weybridge, UK
So where's the video of the operation?;)
Hoping you have a full and rapid recovery, and, of course, with a healthy diet and no ciggies you'll soon be knocking out more miles per charge than previously.

Colin

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
All the best for full recovery Dave, glad you got prompt and professional care to get you through this.

eddieo

Banned
Jul 7, 2008
All the best for full recovery Dave, glad you got prompt and professional care to get you through this.
will all stop next week if the Torys get in........:rolleyes:

mapman

Pedelecer
Oct 2, 2009
newcastle /ne7
Ho dear, old timer i have been away for 4 weeks (work) and open this up to see what you have been doing on the bike. all the best for a full and quick recovery, you look after your self mate and look forward to more videos from you.thanks for all the advise and vids of the evens alien i have now got a alien kit 36v and i think i will buy a trek 3700 bike this saturday for it. I will not use the brake handles that come with the alien,as the brake handles and gear selectors are one unit per side on the trek. so i have made some brackets to hold the brake switches and will fit these to the trek i hope.

all the best.

mapman.

geostorm

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 7, 2009
http://www.pedelecs.co.uk/forum/electric-bicycles/5903-how-timely-e-bike-will-me-my-s

Hi Dave, sorry to hear off your illventure , hope i didnt help in this ,( all the questions) glad to hear you are on the mend, dont forget to listen to what your body is telling you, this makes me feel a hypocrite telling you this, must have worried the MRS take it easy..

Geoff

rosjen

Pedelecer
Oct 27, 2008
Hey Dave that's so strange, I was watching some of your videos on the alien kit last night and would have never thought of you as a smoker. hope you're feeling better soon.

Old Timer

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 5, 2009

Old Timer

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 5, 2009

Old Timer

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 5, 2009
Thanks all for your kind regards. My wife drove us to town today:eek: and it`s hard getting used to being driven around (I`m in charge:D

Did some short walking and there was an amount of discomfort and I`m hoping that it will get better or riding a bike is going to be a bit of a non starter.
Trouble is I`ve got so used to going out and around the area. I said to my wife that if riding an E bike is going to be beyond me then I might look at a small light motorbike (maybe a 50 or 100cc) it won`t be the same as an E bike but will get me out in the fresh air. I`ve got a full licence for bikes so no problem there.
You might say that I could ride on throttle but a few of the hills around here might beat the throttle only mode.( or fit a Alien front wheel kit to my powertrek and have two motors for if and when?? Actually, I reckon that two hubs on a bike might well give a great torque if not any more speed.
Any views

lemmy

Esteemed Pedelecer
After you've given up smoking for 6 months, you'll be amazed at how well you feel (speaks from experience!). It's a real ******* at first but gets better and after a year it simply has no relevance to your life.

It's very easy to put on weight, though, because your sense of taste comes back. I found it best to not worry about the weight, get the smoking beaten first and take off the weight later.

A small motor bike might be a good idea in the meantime and when you feel better and stronger chop it in for an e-bike?

After a lifetimes heavy smoking, I gave up at age 54. 12 years later, I still appreciate the luxury of a deep breath and filling the old lungs with fresh air. Well fresh traffic fumes, anyway :D

Morag

Pedelecer
Feb 28, 2010
Shropshire
Crikey Dave what a scare and yikes I would have passed out watching the procedure :eek: I hope your recovery is swift and 100% what a scare for Ann.

I think a motorised way to get out and about when you are upto it will keep you from getting so frustrated and keep you independant and you should be able to video your outings as well :D then in time you should be able to get back to pedalling (with assistance).

Stay well hun.

eddieo

Banned
Jul 7, 2008
You poor old sausage!

I would wait a little before abandoning e biking......It is easier then walking! you are suffering from the shock of the event and it will take a little time to recover and get your confidence back.

Listen to your clinicians, and gentle exercise is probably what they will prescribe. I have spent 2 months not been able to ride due to my back and now have a infection in the foot (from swimming in Thailand) that has stopped me for a bit as well! so I fully understand the frustration. BUT you are alive and breathing that is all that matters! :)