How timely the e bike will be for me on my second chance for life

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I second what Lemmy says about giving up smoking. I smoked 60 a day for nearly four decades, gave up abruptly and over the following years my fitness improved immeasurably. At 74 I can walk up a steep hill faster than I could at 40 (tested regularly, I live up a 1 in 7 :)).

Old Timer

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 5, 2009
I second what Lemmy says about giving up smoking. I smoked 60 a day for nearly four decades, gave up abruptly and over the following years my fitness improved immeasurably. At 74 I can walk up a steep hill faster than I could at 40 (tested regularly, I live up a 1 in 7 :)).
Well Tony, I`m hoping for the same mate. there is no point having those lovely people at Norfolk and Norwich hospital put so much effort into getting me back on track plus my wifes effort and care to see it hampered by smoking. I`m going through a few Kojac lollies though:D

I reckon you are all right and I might well get back on my bikes in the near future( even if it`s only on throttle) but now the guvna is in agreement with a small motorbike/scooter 125cc I must (for my public at least) get one anyway:D actually that might be fun shooting a few videos from a motorbike. Might well be able to fit the camera to the handlebars as they have suspension. It`s about time I had a new toy and the £50 smoking money a week can pay for it.
This is an eye opener, obviously you can`t just go spending and leave yourself short for the day to day living bills but the rest is just my kids inheritance who are both comfortably off with their own business and would probably just blow it on a Porche anyway.
I wouldn`t give up my E bikes though, I enjoy them too much and this group.

No body has answered about two hubs on a bike yet???

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
No body has answered about two hubs on a bike yet???
Two legal hub motors will work fine and demolish hills without increasing speed, but they'd need two batteries and controllers etc so the bike would be heavier by as much as 9 kilos, depending on second battery.

If the second motor was only used for the hills, the second battery could be quite small, about 6 Ah would be enough, helping to keep the weight down.

Think the light motorbike best though, no risk to your licence from breaking the e-bike laws and more range.

Alex728

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 16, 2008
Ipswich
only just had a chance to read this - get well soon..

with regard to the weed (the "legal" one) I have to confess although I've cut down loads (moving to EA and a less stressful job helped) I do still occasionally buy the odd pack of gaspers for social occasions (it is strange as I have stopped smoking entirely during the week but that last bit seems hardest) - but reading these tales will hopefully encourage me more to knock this final bad habit on the head.. despite all the problems in the world there seems to more for me to live for now compared with the 1990s (and I think bikes and e-biking have helped loads, as they put me in a better frame of mind than any transport)..

Sorry to hear of you ill health.

Hope you make a speedy recovery and continue to post on here for a long time still.

Regards Eddie

4beeches0

Pedelecer
Feb 24, 2007
LS23
Dave

On returning to the pedelec site after a lengthy break it was quite a shock to learn of your recent health scare - incidents like this make us aware of just how vulnerable we all are. Getting old sure is a bummer but it's far better than the alternative.

Do take care Dave and enjoy your lollies - who loves ya baby !

with very best wishes

JohnS

Old Timer

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 5, 2009
Thanks again for everyones kind words.

I`m doing OK, I`ve just painted the area near my comfy chair where a fan used to take the smoke away to tidy it up.

I don`t think I will ever quite get back to full climbing steep hill fitness(maybe I will) even if I do I`ve made a decision to stay local around the flatter area on my E bikes(still quite a few miles of lanes to cover) and I will then have the option to use throttle if a pain comes on( they tell me I might well get chest pain and they have issued a spray) the bloody headache from the spray last around two hours and is worse than the chest pain:D

And more adventurous distances of exploration will be done on a new scooter/stepthrough. I can`t go back to driving my car around for pleasure after being out in the air on two wheels, I know that it won`t be quite the same as an E bike but with the right helmet there is still a lot to hear and see and parking will still be good (can you stick a disabled badge on a moped:confused: :D

Anyway, on here or a private message there must be some of you guys/girls that have had or have a moped/scooter that might have some advice. I`m tempted by the likes of Honda Innova but at over £2k:) so I`m looking around at a few of the cheaper scooters and trying to get some feedback.

Thanks

Dave

eddieo

Banned
Jul 7, 2008
Have you considered a cheap E scooter?

Like e bikes, they dont scare the wildlife or birds and probably quite nice to ride in the country.......:)

Old Timer

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 5, 2009
Have you considered a cheap E scooter?

Like e bikes, they dont scare the wildlife or birds and probably quite nice to ride in the country.......:)
Eddie

Yeh! but everything I`ve read downs the range and a petrol scooter can do anything up to 100-150mpg:eek: and of course the range is limitless

Orraman

Pedelecer
May 4, 2008
Old Timer ???

I wish you well in your recovery and admire your determination on smoking, some find it extremely hard.

A duff leg and a dickey ticker had me on a class 3 invalid carriage till I bought a 3 speed Panasonic powered bike on the lines of the current Monark.

I was advised that regular and regulated exercise was essential and the Panasonic system has proved ideal for me. At the beginning I used the 3rd level of power most of the time and used the gears to keep my input low. My journeys are small but over the first year my health improved steadily and now at the 2 year mark I can manage most trips on 2nd power in top gear.

I would regard the use of a motorbike as a faster invalid carriage seeing no advantage to your health.

The Panasonic frees the rider from the throttle and permits complete control of the amount of exercise while requiring only minimal input.

Orra'best
Dave

Last edited:

KGB2

Just Joined
Apr 30, 2010
Glad to hear you are well,and will soon be back on bike,

I had heart attack 5 years ago and had to have quad bypass,

70th birthday yesterday and I was presented by the family with an Alien special E-bike.

Went out today for first run,18 miles and did not even break sweat

Keep youy chin up

Dynamic Position

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 28, 2009
Well Tony, I`m hoping for the same mate. there is no point having those lovely people at Norfolk and Norwich hospital put so much effort into getting me back on track plus my wifes effort and care to see it hampered by smoking. I`m going through a few Kojac lollies though.

I reckon you are all right and I might well get back on my bikes in the near future( even if it`s only on throttle) but now the guvna is in agreement with a small motorbike/scooter 125cc I must (for my public at least) get one anyway?
Sorry to hear about your heart troubles Old Timer but glad you have been treated and should be on the road to recovery. One of my work mates was in a similar position to you, once he got the stints fitted, he had to attend the hospital heart nurse for physical training exercises twice a week for four months. Once the four months were up he was fitter than he had been for decades:cool:
I don't know whether Norfolk and Norwich Hospital have a recovery exercise program via a dedicated heart nurse but if they do you should attend because you will get advice on diet and will exercise under controlled conditions. It's tough but well worth it:eek:
I would leave the scooter option until 2011 because you will be back on the road soon and if your on the e-bikes you should get even more miles per fully charged battery than you previously got:)
Don't try and over-do things though, recovery takes time.

Old Timer

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 5, 2009
Old Timer ???

I wish you well in your recovery and admire your determination on smoking, some find it extremely hard.

A duff leg and a dickey ticker had me on a class 3 invalid carriage till I bought a 3 speed Panasonic powered bike on the lines of the current Monark.

I was advised that regular and regulated exercise was essential and the Panasonic system has proved ideal for me. At the beginning I used the 3rd level of power most of the time and used the gears to keep my input low. My journeys are small but over the first year my health improved steadily and now at the 2 year mark I can manage most trips on 2nd power in top gear.

I would regard the use of a motorbike as a faster invalid carriage seeing no advantage to your health.

The Panasonic frees the rider from the throttle and permits complete control of the amount of exercise while requiring only minimal input.

Orra'best
Dave
Yeh! I agree about the invalid carriage although I was a motorcyclist for many years so it is enjoyable and I will only use it to get away from the area rather than push myself too hard. My wife says that in a year or so I might be back somewhere that I was before the illness and if thats the case I won`t weep salt tears, I`ll just sell the scooter and the health will take over from any loss. In fact, if I can get back to where I was I`ll give the bloody thing away:D

Old Timer

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 5, 2009
Sorry to hear about your heart troubles Old Timer but glad you have been treated and should be on the road to recovery. One of my work mates was in a similar position to you, once he got the stints fitted, he had to attend the hospital heart nurse for physical training exercises twice a week for four months. Once the four months were up he was fitter than he had been for decades:cool:
I don't know whether Norfolk and Norwich Hospital have a recovery exercise program via a dedicated heart nurse but if they do you should attend because you will get advice on diet and will exercise under controlled conditions. It's tough but well worth it:eek:
I would leave the scooter option until 2011 because you will be back on the road soon and if your on the e-bikes you should get even more miles per fully charged battery than you previously got:)
Don't try and over-do things though, recovery takes time.
They made me an appointment for next Friday and also for a month so I`ll ask when I`m there. To be honest if I get the chance of a nurse to train me up and it has to be at Norwich then with the awkward parking at the hospital would make the scooter worth having. There are trips I/we make around here that are a bit too far for the E bikes and I`m more and more against the car and the fuel costs so I`m sure the Scooter would get plenty of use, save some money and keep things greener.

BTW the house smells somuch better already and I`m actually sleeping better and not wakeing up with a headache and I`m sure it`s the lack of smoke.
Shame it took this to get me to stop but if I`m very lucky I might get enough years to see the benefit. I read today in the bumph they gave me that after 5 years most of your body gets back to as if you hadn`t smoked.

Thanks again

lemmy

Esteemed Pedelecer
I read today in the bumph they gave me that after 5 years most of your body gets back to as if you hadn`t smoked.
I can vouch for that in terms of physical ability - I can now cycle further and faster at 66 than I did at 50 as a smoker.

My doctor says that statistically the chances of lung cancer drop back to those of a non-smoker after 12 years without smoking.

I asked my doctor whether I'd be able to play trumpet after I'd stopped smoking. She said I would. Which is brilliant, because I couldn't before :D

Phil_P

Pedelecer
Jan 5, 2010
Hi Dave ,

Just got back....been away on business.

sorry to read that you have been unwell. Hope you recover soon ,your public need you !!

Lots of flat places in Norfolk and you got a car and a folder ( well 2 in fact ) so drive somewhere and then get the folder out !

Maybe you can get the guvnor to tow you now she has the full 36v of power !!

Seriously....take it easy get well soon and if you need anything give me call I`m only a few mins away and always happy to help a fellow pedelec in any way I can - especially those like you who give so much to others.

best wishes to you and the guvnor

Regards
Phil

Old Timer

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 5, 2009
Hi Dave ,

Just got back....been away on business.

sorry to read that you have been unwell. Hope you recover soon ,your public need you !!

Lots of flat places in Norfolk and you got a car and a folder ( well 2 in fact ) so drive somewhere and then get the folder out !

Maybe you can get the guvnor to tow you now she has the full 36v of power !!

Seriously....take it easy get well soon and if you need anything give me call I`m only a few mins away and always happy to help a fellow pedelec in any way I can - especially those like you who give so much to others.

best wishes to you and the guvnor

Regards
Phil
Thanks Phil, I nearly had a tear in my eye mate:)

Ducat

Finding my (electric) wheels
Oct 19, 2009
I had a stent put in after an episode such as you described in 2002. I was 44.

At first it feels like you'll never get better, as the pain doesn't always go away instantly.

I was still getting twinges in the chest up to six months after the stent went in, and at first I was convinced it was blocked, but I had a wonderful cardiologist who explained that this was normal.

A few years on and now I can walk up six floors without getting out of breath, can walk for miles and use the bike to get to work everyday. I still occasionaly get trollied on friday nights, and have an excellent quality of life!

The occasional fried breakfast is still definitly on the cards, as is all the other naughty behaviour we all indulge in (except smoking!)

After a recent MOT including another angiogram, my cardiologist has told me I can expect to make it to a ripe old age, and whatever does kill me, it probably won't be my heart!

So lots of gentle exercise at first, follow the exercise program from the physioterrorists at the hospital, and before long you'll feel better than you have done for years, trust me on this!

Good luck, and don't get rid of the bike just yet!

Old Timer

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 5, 2009
I had a stent put in after an episode such as you described in 2002. I was 44.

At first it feels like you'll never get better, as the pain doesn't always go away instantly.

I was still getting twinges in the chest up to six months after the stent went in, and at first I was convinced it was blocked, but I had a wonderful cardiologist who explained that this was normal.

A few years on and now I can walk up six floors without getting out of breath, can walk for miles and use the bike to get to work everyday. I still occasionaly get trollied on friday nights, and have an excellent quality of life!

The occasional fried breakfast is still definitly on the cards, as is all the other naughty behaviour we all indulge in (except smoking!)

After a recent MOT including another angiogram, my cardiologist has told me I can expect to make it to a ripe old age, and whatever does kill me, it probably won't be my heart!

So lots of gentle exercise at first, follow the exercise program from the physioterrorists at the hospital, and before long you'll feel better than you have done for years, trust me on this!

Good luck, and don't get rid of the bike just yet!
Thanks, I have my first return appointment at the hospital in the morning and am going to ask if I can at least use my car just local. I`m not getting any pain in the chest and haven`t had to use the under the tongue spray yet.
BTW the booklet that(among many others they gave me) they gave me states " you do NOT need to inform DVLA" so can I take it the non driving a car is advisory (anyone?)

Ducat

Finding my (electric) wheels
Oct 19, 2009
I think its just one of those "just in case" scenarios. if you are driving and an incident occurs, such as a child running out in front of you, the adrenaline rush would send your blood pressure through the roof. Your heart would be hammering away as if you had run a mile, which doesn't really count as gentle exercise!

I started driving after three weeks as I was going crazy indoors. Didn't do me any harm.
I might have had problems with pain because I overdid things at first, my first walk was up a hill!

Last edited: