How to convert a bicycle to an E-bike?

pedalfettal

Pedelecer
Jan 3, 2022
More options:

Bes Bikes in New Charlton (Greenwich) - they do conversions and might be happy to show you around some of the options.

Buy a used electric bike within your budget (GBP350) from Ebay, or similar. Ride it for a bit, learn more, sell it and then do your conversion. There are a few folding ones available right now - perfect for shortish journeys and storage - plus - no-one ever wants to nick a folder.

Rob a bank and use the ill-gotten proceeds to purchase a Tern Vektron S10 (GBP4,100).

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
I got rid of my throttles as I never really found them of much use.
There's only one time I miss having a throttle: Hill starts while hauling a bike trailer full of water. Almost impossible. I used to miss it at roundabouts and intersections, for rapid start, but with the BBS01B's gear sensor working brilliantly, if I remember to change to a low gear (gear 3 of 8 on the flat, 2 or 1 of 8 on hills) before stopping, I can start on a low gear and simply zap up fast, powering through the gears with no grinds.

(P.s. the gear sensor doesn't seem to work for everyone, my bike appears to be the exception)

Last edited:

Bonzo Banana

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2019
I think the donor bike is a Carrera Subway so has an aluminium frame and likely a high tensile or chromoly front forks. So personally I would of thought a front hub motor was the ideal option. I also seem to remember someone had quite a lot of difficulty fitting a rear hub motor to a subway as it required a serious amount of metal removal to get the hub motor axle to fit which compromised the frame slightly.

It's probably worth checking with a magnet just in case but if the forks are steel I would definitely go the front hub route. If you are fitting a fairly low power front hub motor without regen I personally think you can get away without a torque arm on steel forks which is a huge bonus for dealing with punctures etc. Also by keeping your original rear wheel you will have more comfort due to the longer spokes and more spring in the wheel. Also by having the rider power the rear wheel and the motor power the front wheel you have effectively two wheel drive and a reduced incidence of broken spokes. However steering can be a bit heavier and for lighter riders the front wheel tread is more likely to slip. However the Subway is basically a mountain bike with a rigid fork so has pretty thick road tyres so this is less of an issue.

I realise I'm presenting another conflicting opinion just to make the choice more difficult.

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
I think the donor bike is a Carrera Subway so has an aluminium frame and likely a high tensile or chromoly front forks. So personally I would of thought a front hub motor was the ideal option. I also seem to remember someone had quite a lot of difficulty fitting a rear hub motor to a subway as it required a serious amount of metal removal to get the hub motor axle to fit which compromised the frame slightly.

It's probably worth checking with a magnet just in case but if the forks are steel I would definitely go the front hub route. If you are fitting a fairly low power front hub motor without regen I personally think you can get away without a torque arm on steel forks which is a huge bonus for dealing with punctures etc. Also by keeping your original rear wheel you will have more comfort due to the longer spokes and more spring in the wheel. Also by having the rider power the rear wheel and the motor power the front wheel you have effectively two wheel drive and a reduced incidence of broken spokes. However steering can be a bit heavier and for lighter riders the front wheel tread is more likely to slip. However the Subway is basically a mountain bike with a rigid fork so has pretty thick road tyres so this is less of an issue.

I realise I'm presenting another conflicting opinion just to make the choice more difficult.
You're right. If they're steel forks, there's no problem from a safety point of view. I thought that they were aluminium alloy.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
You should avoid heavy front hub motors but anything up to 3kgs is OK. Avoid also 48v and square wave controllers if it is for a front hub, too much power is not good if you ride over a wet surface.

coolio2000

Finding my (electric) wheels
May 4, 2023
Thanks for all the useful info guys.
Theres a lot of conflicting viewpoints which makes it quite difficult for me to decide especially considering I’m not too savvy in this department.

it would be great to come to a conclusion to find something that’s quite bare bones, affordable, and easy to deal with.

I don’t have too much free time to do a lot of independent research which is why I’ve come here! Anyone new reading this please read my first couple of messages where I list other requirements/expectations I have.

Thanks for all your help ✌