Help! how to manualy discharge individual cell groups via bms block?

minexplorer

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 22, 2017
Four Lanes,Cornwall
Hi. i know how to manually balance cell groups with a mobile phone charger. But to save a huge amount of time . Can someone tell me a method of bleeding some charge off say 2 groups rather than adding to 12. For instance,maybe a bulb with a couple of wires soldered on? and would it be attached in the same way,pos to the one in question,neg to the previous cell group? i need to reduce two cell groups by no more than 0.10v. thanks

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
You can use a12/24v automotive bulb to reduse individual cell voltage and yes connect it via the sense wire connector as you have for manually raising a group or direct off the cell group concerned, It wont take long for 0.1v to decrease.
Solder a strip pin ( pcb strip pins) to each of the wires, the strip pin is a perfect fit for the jst female connectors, heat shrink the end to within 5mm.

minexplorer

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 22, 2017
Four Lanes,Cornwall
You can use a12/24v automotive bulb to reduse individual cell voltage and yes connect it via the sense wire connector as you have for manually raising a group or direct off the cell group concerned, It wont take long for 0.1v to decrease.
Solder a strip pin ( pcb strip pins) to each of the wires, the strip pin is a perfect fit for the jst female connectors, heat shrink the end to within 5mm.
nealh to the rescue again,thanks mate this will save sooo much time.
theyre all pretty much the same ,just two higher. Then i can see how it balances up with the charger set for 4.05v which they can all reach. After that i can monitor how evenly they charge/discharge over the weeks.

if i can get another years use out of it doing sub 20 mile rides ,be better than nothing. would def get a high capacity triangle batt for the bbshd next time,in Mj1 s or something. A 15ah sharks useless for bbshd. When new i could only scrape 27 mile range if i used lots of low power.an 18 miles with lots of high power.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: Nealh

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Yes there is a big range difference between low and high assist, but this is to be expected as the current draw is like chalk and cheese.
Even with my slightly tired 29E's the difference between PAS 1 & 3 is about 50%.