How to replace an e-bike tube without removing the wheel.

Kudoscycles

Official Trade Member
Apr 15, 2011
www.kudoscycles.com
One of the downsides of e-bikes is the difficulty of replacing a punctured tube without the effort of removing the wheel,getting past the derailleur or hub motor can be difficult. A plug to isolate the rear motor helps but it's still a big roadside task.
I saw at the NEC cycle show a tube which is horseshoe shaped and sealed at both ends.
Pull out the punctured tube and cut it away...feed the new tube around the stays,locate the tube hole and then pump up the tube.
For an e-bike this seems a valuable product as a get home repair,not dear at £12.00 each.
A knife,baby pump and this tube will be an essential repair product in my Kudos Secret pannier.
Details on. www.rubenacycle.co.uk
Thanks to all who said hello on the Kudos stand at the NEC.
KudosDave

Jimod

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 9, 2010
Polmont
Gaadi tubes! I've got one in the bag on my Tourer and one in the bag on my Typhoon. I don't have one in the bag on my Merida. :( As you can read in my posting earlier. :)

Last edited:

Geebee

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 26, 2010
Australia
CD and QR, standard tube replacement no problem.

The described tubes are reported to (at least some) wear through at the overlap and fail.

Reactions: flecc

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I change tubes and even tyres without taking wheels out at all. Just needs one wheel nut off, a bit of muscle and judgement on how far to go:

Foot method.jpg

Reactions: marwigan

D C

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 25, 2013
Pull out the punctured tube and cut it away...feed the new tube around the stays,locate the tube hole and then pump up the tube.
I wonder if you could leave the original tube still in place and still get the horseshoe tube in and inflated just to get you home.
I guess you'd have to wrap the valve in something soft.
If it's possible it would save binning a good tube.
Dave.

JohnCade

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 16, 2014
I wonder if you could leave the original tube still in place and still get the horseshoe tube in and inflated just to get you home.
I guess you'd have to wrap the valve in something soft.
If it's possible it would save binning a good tube.
Dave.
On one of the other threads on these someone said they just pulled the old one out if the way and tied it off so it didn’t catch anything to get home.

Reactions: D C
Looks like 'I am so last year darling' !!!!
KudosDave
...and you need to get your staff to read the emails we send out!

We sent one to all our dealers about the GAADI ones. They've been on our b2b shop for ages now. I wondered why Tom hadn't bought any, and now I know why ;)

Just search "GAADI" or look in the tubes section. You should be able to sell them instore for loads less than £12 ;)

Reactions: VictoryV

Tomtomato

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 28, 2015
I do have puncture resistant tires on my bike (Marathon), but I didn't know about that kind of tube anyway, so I have ordered one, in case I need to replace the tube when on the side of the road.

Therefore, this thread was useful to me!

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
I have had a GAADI tube for a year or two, but have never had to deploy it.

Looks like a quality item, it's heavier and bulkier than my other spare which is a Continental.

The 'join' is butted, previous designs overlapped.

Friction at the overlap could lead to failure, but the butted ends should be less prone to that.

mike killay

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 17, 2011
I think that these tubes are get you home devices, and you will have to decide at the side of the road whether you are going to cut the punctured tube to get it out. (Or FLECC it!)
Cars have that foaming puncture repair/re-inflate kit but I have never used it and have great doubts.
I did wonder if something akin to building foam would work temporarily.

Wingreen

Pedelecer
Jul 28, 2015
Anglesey
I'm fairly new to all this but how effective are those spray things that are supposed to seal a punctured tyre and get you home. I have one in my bag (and a CO2 "thingy" to inflate it) but have never, thankfully, yet had to actually try it out.

Kudoscycles

Official Trade Member
Apr 15, 2011
www.kudoscycles.com
...and you need to get your staff to read the emails we send out!

We sent one to all our dealers about the GAADI ones. They've been on our b2b shop for ages now. I wondered why Tom hadn't bought any, and now I know why ;)

Just search "GAADI" or look in the tubes section. You should be able to sell them instore for loads less than £12 ;)
Colin....your teacher background never dies....Elderfield stand in the corner,concentrate more and write after school 100 times..' I must read every e-mail from KTM'
Anyway,her indoors banned you from this forum....there is always a higher power,hehe !!!
It does seem some have not noticed the Gaadi tubes,so it was useful.
KudosDave

Croxden

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2013
North Staffs
I'm fairly new to all this but how effective are those spray things that are supposed to seal a punctured tyre and get you home. I have one in my bag (and a CO2 "thingy" to inflate it) but have never, thankfully, yet had to actually try it out.
Last year I praised the Aldi foam/inflator stuff when I had a thorn in the side wall of my Marathon Deluxe rear tyre on the R&M Delite. It is still holding many thousand of miles later.

Following a thorn in the centre of the tread of the Hans Dampf front tyre on the Haibike I thought it would be an easy fix as I had stocked up with the canisters thinking how good they were.

However, one didn't do it so I used another. Seems to make it worse, initially it would hold air for a few minutes, after using it, the air comes out as quick as it goes in.

Since I have Crank Bros wheels and the bike came with a tubeless valve I ordered some Stan's latex stuff and swapped over to tubeless. This morning it is still OK.

You ask if it's any good, so it's yes & no. Useful to have but I don't now think I will rely on it, will also carry patches.

I have a lot of success with Slime put into tubes but others don't care for it

Reactions: Wingreen

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
I think that these tubes are get you home devices,
They are sturdier than ordinary tubes and can easily be used all the time - that's why the butted join was designed.

A member on here, I can't recall who, uses GAADI tubes all the time without any problems.