How to sell an ebike?

lemmy

Esteemed Pedelecer
I'm looking to sell my Kalkhoff Tasman, 3 years old and 80% battery capacity showing.

I need to maximise my take, obviously - any experiences of the best places to advertise?

It's quite a specialized area and I feel maybe eBay is not the best outlet,

Goryl

Pedelecer
Jan 14, 2012
Hi,

-You could try to put in the classified ;)
-I thought that ebay with a very low starting price (but a reserve in case) was working quite well.

Goryl

Kudoscycles

Official Trade Member
Apr 15, 2011
www.kudoscycles.com
I'm looking to sell my Kalkhoff Tasman, 3 years old and 80% battery capacity showing.

I need to maximise my take, obviously - any experiences of the best places to advertise?

Lemmy,our experience is e-bay is a very good means of selling our old test bikes,just don't underestimate the charges,it usually works out about 10% of the sale figure.
Dave
Kudoscycles

cwah

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 3, 2011
www.whatonlondon.co.uk
I confirm. Ebay is a very good way to sell ebike. I sold mine for £400 (purchased for £700 with shipping cost included).

Just take a lot of pictures and people will be interested.

I didn't pay any fee on ebay because I started at £0.99, and the buyer paid me cash in hand. So £400 without fee in my pocket :)

If your item has good value, it will sell at good price. A brompton for example will never sell below £400 on ebay because it's an high value and recognised item. I have however lost money sometime, for items that are not very popular (such as unbranded light).

Have a try, if your bike is on good working condition you should be able to make good money of it.

C

Cyclezee

Hi Lemmy,

One piece of advice I would offer is to have your auction end on a Sunday evening, but not when there is a major sporting event like the Olympics;)

morphix

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 24, 2010
Worcestershire
www.cyclecharge.org.uk

I agree with other posters, I think the best place to sell is here under the classifieds. Its the right market after all. But it wouldn't hurt to list it on eBay too and it's fairly cheap to list. If you list it on eBay, it's probably better to do it as a "Buy It Now" for above the price you want, and use the "Make Offers" option so people can haggle and negotiate a price with you... you can always put on your ebay listing that it's advertised elsewhere.... with Buy It Now and you're not oblidged to sell, you can close the listing if you get a better price here.. or reject offers.

Another tip if you're gonna sell on eBay... make sure you state it's a private sale no returns.. and if you can arrange a courier (try interparcel.com) it will greatly increase the interest...if you put "collection only" it can severely limit your market.. if you can't find a courier, just put "courier collections welcome, buyer to arrange". And there are services like anyvan.com you can mention.

Last edited: