How you is too young to carry on a bike?

Tim

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 1, 2006
London
Hello, is there a minimum age before which it's considered too risky to take your child with you on your bike? To put it in other words, do child seats only take infants of a certain size or age?

I have a five-month-old and I'm keen to share the thrill of whizzing around the park on my bike with him. He'll probably be nearer 8 or 9 months before the weather's fit to take him out with me, but should I be waiting longer?

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
David at A to B may well be some help here Tim, since his son Alexander has been featured on bikes for the whole of his 9 plus years in all modes of child carrying, and they now have new addition Orlando, one year old just 7 days ago, who will have be doing the same.

I also remember this photo of member Anthony "back packing" a young baby.

Last edited:

torrent99

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 14, 2008
Highgate, London
Hello, is there a minimum age before which it's considered too risky to take your child with you on your bike? To put it in other words, do child seats only take infants of a certain size or age?

I have a five-month-old and I'm keen to share the thrill of whizzing around the park on my bike with him. He'll probably be nearer 8 or 9 months before the weather's fit to take him out with me, but should I be waiting longer?
Basically they've got to be able to hold their head up properly....

Fecn

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 28, 2008
Warlingham, Surrey
The instructions on my toddler seat say it's minimum age of 9 months. I've got a four month old myself who will be going out on the bike in the summer.

allotmenteer

Pedelecer
Nov 21, 2006
Aldershot, Hampshire
I'd wait until the child can walk as by then his/her muscles and skeleton are more developed. Sitting on the back of a bike will subject the little one to quite a lot of shock and vibration. You can brace against anticipated shocks but the child can't. A nice padded seat is essential I would think.

essexman

Pedelecer
Dec 17, 2007
cb11
Hi Tim!

You've got some fun ahead!

The 'rules' on child seats:
-Can they hold their head up
-Will they be able to cope with the vibration and bumps
-Do you think they are ready?

8 or 9 months sounds fine for gentle rides round the park. I think Mike was 10-11 months when i finally took him out and he was well past ready.

You know those inflatable neck pillows you get for travel or airline flights? They can be useful for providing support as the child settles in.

Totcycle blog is doing some good content if you want to read about some different ideas.

PS I wouldnt take anyone in a trailer without suspension until they were much older. Those small wheels make it really bouncy!

Tim

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 1, 2006
London
Excellent suggestions, thanks everyone - I might never have found that totcycle blog. It all helps me build a case with my non-bike-riding missus.

Which leads me to another questions - any tips on teaching an adult how to ride a bike. Would an Agattu be a good start, that is, would the assistance help or hinder the learning process?

Blew it

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2008
Swindon, Wiltshire
I don't think a bent and scratched Agattu would do too much for marital relationships!.

Much better to use a second hand ladies single speed with the front brake disabled until the balancing bit is mastered.

Have fun!!

Bob

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Which leads me to another questions - any tips on teaching an adult how to ride a bike. Would an Agattu be a good start, that is, would the assistance help or hinder the learning process?
I'd say the Agattu would probably be ok if set on the Eco mode Tim. If on standard power mode, the take off surge when a pedal was pressed at a standstill would be very disconcerting to a learner.

Once rolling the power shouldn't make any difference with the way the Panasonic system works.

lectureral

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 30, 2007
Suva, Fiji
I think getting on for a year is the practical minimum for being on a bike seat and wearing a helmet - my daughter was on her bike seat at 9 months for gentle safe rides without a helmet but it was a while before I felt she could take the extra weight of the helmet. Here's a pic at 11 months

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3189/2801741767_6deb1b88ed.jpg

Last edited:

bogmonster

Pedelecer
Aug 8, 2008
One word of warning, kids get very cold on bikes. My son hated the child seat and I think the cold was one reason. They are just sat there not generating any real heat and their small body mass cools quickly. There is also quite a wind chill factor. If they can't yet talk they can't tell you the problem.

I will not be having more kids but if I did, I would not consider taking one one bile until they could talk. In some ways a trailer is better as they can be a lot more protected from the elements.

Personally I am a little paranoid about kids in trailers on roads, too easily clipped by cars.

Regards, Chris.

Tim

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 1, 2006
London
One word of warning, kids get very cold on bikes. My son hated the child seat and I think the cold was one reason. They are just sat there not generating any real heat and their small body mass cools quickly. There is also quite a wind chill factor. If they can't yet talk they can't tell you the problem.
Yes, this is very important and why I will be holding off until late Spring, which means he'll both be old enough and Richmond Park is at its best.

I saw a very miserable-looking toddler crumpled in a cycle seat in really horrible weather about a month ago and it put me off the whole idea for a while.