Hub motor

Bigbee

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 12, 2008
I posted a few days ago that I was closing in on an unbranded e-bike.It seems a good price and had Zoom forks and Bafang motor and the other parts Id heard off too.The guy has sent me a picture and the rear wheel has a huge motor on it.I phoned him and said Id never seen a Bafang motor like that ( ie on Wisper etc).He said he'd had problems with Bafang as it was high speed and needed maintenance every three months by adding distilled water.The new motor was low speed and more stable.Does this sound correct as Ive never read about this before??

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
That was complete nonsense about the Bafang motor needing distilled water.

The large diameter motor is probably a direct drive type. If of legal power it's probably a poor hill climber since this type lacks low speed torque. If one of the high powered illegal type, they can climb well but are very greedy on power so have short range.

It sounds to me as though you should steer well clear of this seller, given the misinformation and lack of details.

Bigbee

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 12, 2008
That was complete nonsense about the Bafang motor needing distilled water.

The large diameter motor is probably a direct drive type. If of legal power it's probably a poor hill climber since this type lacks low speed torque. If one of the high powered illegal type, they can climb well but are very greedy on power so have short range.

It sounds to me as though you should steer well clear of this seller, given the misinformation and lack of details.

Thanks flecc,thats what I thought.Hes sent me a photo by email too.I dont know how to post pictures on here,I'll ask my wife to try to do it,you may recognise the motor on it?Ive asked him for the make of the motor too,I bet he doesnt know really!

The Maestro

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2008
Could be right about the Bafang motor requiring distilled water. My motor has been out in the pouring rain most of its life and its working really well with no maintainence. Rain is in effect distilled water :)

Hes talking utter rubbish and obviously knows nothing about the product or is a big fat liar.

Grumpy1

Pedelecer
Jan 23, 2009
He's right. Don't forget to make sure you undo the motor housing bolts with a left handed screwdriver

Citrus

Pedelecer
Jan 3, 2007
He's right. Don't forget to make sure you undo the motor housing bolts with a left handed screwdriver
Good advice. If the housing bolts are a bit stiff a gentle tap with a glass hammer will help. Or you can use a long weight instead. :p

Bigbee

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 12, 2008
Ok chaps and chapesses,

Ive had another email this morning,

He says he made a mistake about the distilled water.He knew Bafang needed maintenance and he got confused.The Bafang has nylon materials inside and will wear after a few months despite having to regularly oil it.He says it will " skid and race"?? The only advantage Bafang has is its small and light.Hes developed the motor on his bike and knows it very well to be good quality.

You're enjoying this arent you?:)

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
He's referring to the nylon drive cogs and rack in the Bafang hubs, which very rarely fail and then usually only when new and in warranty, due to an assembly error.

He's got the idea about water from the fact that water is a good lubricant fro nylon, but of course not when in conjunction with an electric motor!

He clearly doesn't have a clue and therefore is not in a position to say whether the new motor is any good or not. All he needs say is the make of the new motor and then we can tell him if it's any good. If he can't come up with that, it's not only the motor that's dud. :)

Bigbee

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 12, 2008
This isnt looking too good is it?;)

I quite enjoy this though,it'll be almost a shame when I actually do eventually put my hand in my pocket and make a decision.! I hear Kalkhoff's are ok?:rolleyes:

I'll ask the make of the motor,though I wont be holding my breath..........

back soon as I hear

ciao

Grumpy1

Pedelecer
Jan 23, 2009
Bob seriously you have got issues. It is a joke. Everyone knows you can't get tartan paint.