Hub options for steel road bike

KAB

Just Joined
Sep 26, 2020
Hi all,

As per the title, I'm looking for some options for a rear wheel hub drive kit for my steel winter road bike.

I commute 15 miles each way a couple of times a week, usually weather dependent. I'm now looking to get the winter road bike out of hibernation and I've been giving some thought to adding a rear hub motor. The sole use of this bike will be for commuting through the winter months, so range is not the main driver. I have a good road bike and a mountain bike for when I want to do long rides etc.

I am really just looking for something to ease the burden of a heavy steel bike, rack, pannier, lunch, laptop, clothes etc...

Ideally I would like a pannier rack battery and the motor must be legal. I.e. 250W.

I've looked at both the aikema 85SXC 36V and the SWX02 48V kits both from woosh. The latter appears to come with a lot more kit as standard, but neither come with the pannier battery... The former hub drive looks a lot smaller, which is appealing to me.

I'd like to be able.to fit my 10 speed cassette to the wheel.

Am I missing anything else? Everyone I can find has >250W and that's not really an option, I go through a busy city centre on joint pedestrian/cycle paths, both into, through and out of the centre. I would hate for something to happen.

Budget... Lower the better and I'm not asverse to buying the parts individually and fitting, but I am a complete novice when it comes to what I should look for.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited: