Hybrid Mudguards for KTM Macina Cross 9 ?

mfj197

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 18, 2014
Guildford
I've been looking at mudguards for a Macina Cross 10 Plus, although you are one ahead of me in that you actually have your bike! Interesting the frame doesn't have a hole for the bolt fitting the rear guard...

Anyway the hybrid mudguards I've found are the following (for the same 42mm Marathon Mondial tyres you have):
  • SKS Velo 47 Trekking (I think these are the ones used on the KTM Macina Sport 10 Plus although they have to be modified as the seat tube is further away from the wheel - doesn't look great having the front flapping around)
  • SKS Velo 55 Cross
  • SKS Beavertail, or even Beavertail XL although they might be too wide
  • The Zefals you have tried
  • Zefal Swan 45mm wide (rear only, but they do similar fronts). Doesn't provide much protection for the rest of the bike though.
For my own use (commuting) I've wondered if it might be better to go with some full mudguards. In particular the SKS Bluemels Matt would go with the matt black of the bike and I think the 45mm version would work well.

Michael

D

Deleted member 4366

I don't know about the others, but you can zip-tie the SKS Beavertail XLs onto the bike. It makes a very rigid fixing.

No hole on this fork:

Same on the back:

• Useful
Reactions: Martsky and mfj197

musicbooks

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2007
I've been looking at mudguards for a Macina Cross 10 Plus, although you are one ahead of me in that you actually have your bike! Interesting the frame doesn't have a hole for the bolt fitting the rear guard...

Anyway the hybrid mudguards I've found are the following (for the same 42mm Marathon Mondial tyres you have):
  • SKS Velo 47 Trekking (I think these are the ones used on the KTM Macina Sport 10 Plus although they have to be modified as the seat tube is further away from the wheel - doesn't look great having the front flapping around)
  • SKS Velo 55 Cross
  • SKS Beavertail, or even Beavertail XL although they might be too wide
  • The Zefals you have tried
  • Zefal Swan 45mm wide (rear only, but they do similar fronts). Doesn't provide much protection for the rest of the bike though.
For my own use (commuting) I've wondered if it might be better to go with some full mudguards. In particular the SKS Bluemels Matt would go with the matt black of the bike and I think the 45mm version would work well.

Michael
Hi Michael, Thanks for the advice.They all look good but I'm still confused about the lack of a bolt hole in the rear fork.

mfj197

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 18, 2014
Guildford
Hi Michael, Thanks for the advice.They all look good but I'm still confused about the lack of a bolt hole in the rear fork.
That is strange. I've come across frames with horizontal holes for brakes, some with vertical holes (why?) but not to have a hole at all is weird - why have the cross member at all then?

I think my frame is slightly different but as to whether it has a hole - who knows?

Michael

musicbooks

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2007
That is strange. I've come across frames with horizontal holes for brakes, some with vertical holes (why?) but not to have a hole at all is weird - why have the cross member at all then?

I think my frame is slightly different but as to whether it has a hole - who knows?

Michael
There is a hole but it doesn't go all the way through..

Artstu

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 2, 2009
As has already been shown you can cable tie the Zefal guards onto the brake bridge/rear stays. I've done so with a weird shaped Giant bike.
My KTM bridge has a hole so my guards fitted in a conventional way.
I'm not a fan of the Zefal guards, but they can be made to work okay.

mfj197

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 18, 2014
Guildford
Ah just looked at my bike, and its the same, you just need a bolt with the correct metric thread then.
Makes sense. So the hole is threaded (I assume it has a steel insert rather than threading into aluminium?). Any idea what size?

musicbooks

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2007
So the zefal bolt may simply screw in without a nut? If so, ...serious doh!!! on my part :rolleyes:

musicbooks

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2007
.. ah .. but second problem.. the guard is too wide fit through the weird Macina frame configuration

mfj197

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 18, 2014
Guildford
.. ah .. but second problem.. the guard is too wide fit through the weird Macina frame configuration
Yes, use a dremel or anything else to cut away the sides of the mudguard. I used a similar Heath Robinson method on the rear guard on my current bike. I don't think Col would be able to help as he doesn't design the bikes.

Shame no steel insert - aluminium's not very good at retaining threads in small diameters! However I guess nothing will be done up too tightly here.

Michael

musicbooks

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2007
Thanks Col, But I'm not after standard mudguards .. I want to use hybrid versions as used on Macina e street p or sport

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
My converted hybrid came with no guards so I have fitted SKS beaver tails (ones without stays) the rear has a threaded fixing on the underside of the cross bar of the rear frame and also one to the rear at the bottom bracket ( rear wheel removed to fix). New Suntour forks had a pre drilled hole for the front so was easy to fit one simple bracket. There is no reason why you can't carefully pre drill a hole on the front cross member of the fork.