Hydraulic Rim Brakes

eFred

Pedelecer
Jul 21, 2020
Am in the process of converting my folding bike and was looking at the brakes. At the moment it's your standard cable V-brake. There's no mounting for a disc brake caliper so I was wondering about hydraulic rim brakes. Compared to cables are the hydraulics worth the effort and cost. There seems to be a choice between Magura and a cheaper brand, Promax. Anyone any experience of these? Never used hydraulic rim brakes so this is all new to me.

Bikes4two

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 21, 2020
Havant
I've Magura HS33 rim brakes on our tandem and their stopping power even with full luggage and camping kit is more than adequate and have been faultless over thousands of miles - no bleeding or leaks, just new brake blocks.

A bit over-kill for a folder but they are very easy and light to operate so would be good for someone with reduced finger power.

Last edited:

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
We've got Magura HS11 on our Motus hub gear bike. They work well when adjusted, and quite a light touch, but I find them a pain to adjust. I don't know if there is something wrong with ours, but you need to loosen off the screws that tighten the brake block adjustment a huge amount before the blocks will slide in and out, and even then the sliding is very abrupt and jerky.

• Agree
Reactions: PC2017

PC2017

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 19, 2017
Scunthorpe
but I find them a pain to adjust.
My front wheel is motor so I stuck with standard shimano cable v-brake for front.

I had Magura HS11 (rear only) ran for 18 months, I second the above. I found that the lever went spongy quick and I found my self adjusting them weekly, however I gave up and got used to the spongy due to the fact that having them perfectly adjusted was bowing my wheel and causing bearing wear, ie to sharp braking. Fixings wear with constant adjusting and cleaning.

I now use promax rear only, although spongy lever, these aren't as bad. IMO if your want instant stopping power then I feel standard is the best however they squeak a lot with high speed of ebikes. If you want slowing down the hydraulics are fine & don't over adjust. Promax are a slightly more painful to change pads it looks quick release but I couldn't figure it out.

Never bled any brand I will just replace. Magura, if you can get hold of UK CS if it still exists then I found them helpful with spares for free.

• Agree
Reactions: sjpt

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
I found that the lever went spongy quick and I found my self adjusting them weekly,

Never bled any brand I will just replace.
I found it was spongy, but bleeding resolved that. It also meant I only needed occasional small adjustment at the screw (easy) to allow for pad wear.

Thus the significant (very awkward) adjustment of pad position in the brake mechanism is thankfully only needed at pad replacement time, and maybe around half way through pad life.

eFred

Pedelecer
Jul 21, 2020
My front wheel is motor so I stuck with standard shimano cable v-brake for front.

I had Magura HS11 (rear only) ran for 18 months, I second the above. I found that the lever went spongy quick and I found my self adjusting them weekly, however I gave up and got used to the spongy due to the fact that having them perfectly adjusted was bowing my wheel and causing bearing wear, ie to sharp braking. Fixings wear with constant adjusting and cleaning.

I now use promax rear only, although spongy lever, these aren't as bad. IMO if your want instant stopping power then I feel standard is the best however they squeak a lot with high speed of ebikes. If you want slowing down the hydraulics are fine & don't over adjust. Promax are a slightly more painful to change pads it looks quick release but I couldn't figure it out.

Never bled any brand I will just replace. Magura, if you can get hold of UK CS if it still exists then I found them helpful with spares for free.
Is there a reason for not fitting the Magura brake to a front hub?

It's a front hub I'm looking at and I would have fitted, what I presume is the more powerful brake, on the front wheel.

PC2017

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 19, 2017
Scunthorpe
Is there a reason for not fitting the Magura brake to a front hub?
There was at the time, not checked in a while, not many helpfully installation videos, it looks simple enough but I never had much luck with brakes until recently. The main reason was because my front brake worked like a boss + I had loads of as new pads I didn't want to waste not to mention the cost of purchasing front and rear was a little too much at the time & my very inexperienced skill set. I would like to install a front but if my current front works I can not justify the cost. The only reason I did my rear was at high speed road hills off motor (25-30mph)I was either braking to sharp, juddering or screeching to a stop and had to try an out of box solution and it worked. If you have skills and a deep pocket I don't see why you shouldn't try it however I can not vouch for front + I like a nice sharp power stop on my front.

I would go for the newer models like @Bikes4two 4two and perhaps @Bikes4two could let you know the feel, I think they are front hub?? however I think they travel at low speed a lot.

Wasn't the bleed kit expensive?

Reactions: eFred

PC2017

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 19, 2017
Scunthorpe