I broke it... in four months!

Marc Draco

Pedelecer
Aug 5, 2018
I had to take my beloved Carrera-e back to Halfords with the E-22 error. That's the torque sensor.

Four months! That's all - from new.

Seems that I've learned a nasty lesson and while Halfords are going to fight me, I'm sure, it looks like this particular system isn't designed to be ridden without assist - which is what I do to save battery (d'uh)!

I'm guessing (but it's an educated guess) that the extra torque I'm generating (even approaching 60 y/o) has destroyed the sensor. That's a very poor show really - I wonder if anyone else has experienced this.

I've asked the store to replace it with a more reliable model but they're going to balk at that I'm sure.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
I'm guessing (but it's an educated guess) that the extra torque I'm generating (even approaching 60 y/o) has destroyed the sensor. That's a very poor show really - I wonder if anyone else has experienced this.
You can damage it by submerging the sensor in water but you can't destroy the torque sensor by pedalling. If I am not mistaken, the sensor is an optical one.

Reactions: Marc Draco

Marc Draco

Pedelecer
Aug 5, 2018
Ah, good that at least destroys the argument that it's my fault then Woosh! Thanks!

I'm still pretty p*ssed off that it's failed so soon.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I'm still pretty p*ssed off that it's failed so soon.
Pedelecs can be quite frail, much more so than other motorised vehicles.

My record is a new e-bike costing £1500 almost 13 years ago with a motor that chewed itself to pieces by 200 miles. And a £250 battery from back then which lasted just three months to uselessness. They did get replaced though.

I'm guessing that your torque sensor fault is probably a very minor one off that will be easily put right or replaced.

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
The problem is that you rode the bike through 4 months of dirty wet salty winter roads. Had you used it in the summer, it would still be OK. You can't do any damage to the pedal sensor no matter how hard you pedal because it's mechanically isolated from the drive train. It functions by observing how hard you pedal, so to say that you could damage it by pedalling would be like saying that you can kill someone by looking at them.

Your problem is almost certainly a result of the sensor being dirty. When covered in dirt, it can no longer see how hard you're pedaling. All you need to do is take it off and clean it.

Go back to Halfords with a copy of this post and tell them to do it, then they'll learn how to fix all the other ones that people take back.

Before you do that, to save embarrassment, you might want to just check that you didn’t cut the wire to it when the chain jumped off.

Reactions: flecc