I broke my battery connector

CorpusLuteum

Pedelecer
Mar 9, 2014
I took the battery off to charge and the connector on the bike side broke and is now split in half. It is still connected to the bike but it is now extremely difficult to fit the battery. It takes me at least 10 minutes to slide the battery into the connector. I'm also afraid the connector might soon completely come off and the bike will become unusable.

Any suggestions? :(

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Sports Direct who you bought it from have it as "Product no longer exists", so I can't see what bike it is. As John says, we'll need a photo of the connector to help.

Reactions: CorpusLuteum
C

Cyclezee

Hi CL,

Basically that piece of plastic isn't available as a spare part on its own although you might be lucky and find someone who can salvage one.

The other solution is remove the broken part, assemble all the pieces, use them as a template, find a suitable piece of strong rigid plastic the same thickness and copy the original.......or get someone else to do it for you.

I very much doubt if repairing the broken one with epoxy resin will be very practical.

CorpusLuteum

Pedelecer
Mar 9, 2014
Hi CL,

Basically that piece of plastic isn't available as a spare part on its own although you might be lucky and find someone who can salvage one.

The other solution is remove the broken part, assemble all the pieces, use them as a template, find a suitable piece of strong rigid plastic the same thickness and copy the original.......or get someone else to do it for you.

I very much doubt if repairing the broken one with epoxy resin will be very practical.
Thank you. The problem is I don't have all the pieces. I don't even know when it broke. I tried to look for the pieces but it's like they've disappeared. There's no trace of them.

If your handy with crafts then you could try plastex (search on ebay) I've used it with great success on motorcycle fairings and suchlike.

http://www.plastex.net/Product_Info.php
That sounds like a good idea. Although I've never crafted anything in my entire life. I'll look into this. Thank you very much.

C

Cyclezee

If you don't have all the pieces, you could assemble what you have on a piece of sticky backed plastic, then stick it to a larger piece of cardboard from a cereal box, trim the cardboard with scissors until it fits the recess in the battery, this will give you a template.

If I had a spare, I would send you one FOC, but I don't really want to knick the part from a new bike.

In the meantime, please don't try to use the bike.

I would also be interested to know how it happened?

CorpusLuteum

Pedelecer
Mar 9, 2014
If you don't have all the pieces, you could assemble what you have on a piece of sticky backed plastic, then stick it to a larger piece of cardboard from a cereal box, trim the cardboard with scissors until it fits the recess in the battery, this will give you a template.

If I had a spare, I would send you one FOC, but I don't really want to knick the part from a new bike.

In the meantime, please don't try to use the bike.

I would also be interested to know how it happened?
Haha I wouldn't expect you to remove the part from a new bike. Thanks anyway :) I have no idea how or when it happened. Maybe it wasn't even me who caused it. I was having a hard time sliding the battery back on and I saw the damage. I just assumed that I must have damaged it when removing the battery. But the broken pieces are nowhere to be found.

CorpusLuteum

Pedelecer
Mar 9, 2014
CL,
I meant that you could use the pieces shown in the photos to help make a template;)
Is there any chance you could take a picture of what it's meant to look like? I quite like Wicky's idea of using a plastic repair kit. Although I doubt my uncreative mind can mould the missing pieces.

CorpusLuteum

Pedelecer
Mar 9, 2014
I kind of feel like I deserve this for buying a cheap bicycle. Maybe I should sell my Brompton and a few other things and buy a decent electric bike. I just feel like I can't live without an electric bike now that I've experienced the joy :(

los monty

Pedelecer
Oct 3, 2013
CL don't be too hasty we had problems with the battery and suspect others have too. We effected a repair and now leave battery on the bike and charge in situ. The same battery is used on many more expensive bikes. You also have a warranty with Sports Direct and the Importers Avocet seem to support their distributers well.
Despite having problems with one of these bikes it has not stopped me purchasing again. They are supposed to retail at around £600 so at £250 it is a gift.

D

Deleted member 4366

I'm pretty sure I have the spare part you need. If you send me your address by PM, I'll send it to you. You'll have to get someone that's handy with a screwdriver to fix it on.

C

Cyclezee

Is there any chance you could take a picture of what it's meant to look like? I quite like Wicky's idea of using a plastic repair kit. Although I doubt my uncreative mind can mould the missing pieces.
Hi CL,

Sorry but I'm not in a position to take a photo right now.
The battery recess fits over it and if you can repair or fabricate a new one the pins need to line up precisely with the battery terminals shown below.
Frog battery.jpg

C

Cyclezee

I'm pretty sure I have the spare part you need. If you send me your address by PM, I'll send it to you. You'll have to get someone that's handy with a screwdriver to fix it on.
Dave to the rescue;)

D

Deleted member 4366

I've just had a look. I have the part, but to fix it requires soldering. The easiest way is to unsolder the wires of your one and then re-solder them to the new one. Then, you can screw it in place, otherwise you have to disassemble all the plastic parts, pull out the controller, unscrew and remove the key-switch before you can solder the wire to the key-switch.

Have you got someone that can do the soldering? if not we might be able to use a connector block on each wire.

CorpusLuteum

Pedelecer
Mar 9, 2014
I've just had a look. I have the part, but to fix it requires soldering. The easiest way is to unsolder the wires of your one and then re-solder them to the new one. Then, you can screw it in place, otherwise you have to disassemble all the plastic parts, pull out the controller, unscrew and remove the key-switch before you can solder the wire to the key-switch.

Have you got someone that can do the soldering? if not we might be able to use a connector block on each wire.
Aww thank you so much <3 I'll PM you now. But I don't know anything about soldering. I know I'm the most useless person when it comes to practical things. I can probably get my brother in law to attempt the soldering, although I'm really not sure if he would be able to.

Edit: I've just asked my brother in law and he said he's never done any soldering. Sigh...

Last edited: