I give up ... ?

watkin5

Pedelecer
Feb 4, 2009
Bucks
I'm thinking of giving up ebiking for a couple of decades.

Last week, after 4 months of riding my Wisper 905 ECO to work most every day, I realised it was alot easier than when I started out. I thought either the battery voltage had increased, the gravitational constant reduced, or Burroughgrove Hill was shrinking.

My wife suggested that I maybe just got fitter. So this week I've tried the journey on a purely manual bicycle. The difference in effort is hugh, but for the last 2 days I managed the complete journey without needing to stop to admire the view. My journeys only 4 miles each way, but without my Wisper I never would have attempted it. Now maybe I don't need my Wisper anymore.

What's the best way to re-home an electric bike?

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Congratulations on your increased fitness Watkin5. If you want to sell the Wisper, try our free classified section which has a good record of success. Then A to B and Velovision magazines also have free ad spaces. Sometimes local newspapers and community magazines take free ads.

One thing to think about though is the winter season, when adverse weather like strong winds etc can give an e-bike an added advantage and make unpowered cycling a lot harder.

If you do decide to keep it for those sort of conditions, make sure you recharge the battery every couple of months, never leaving it over three months without a charge which could render it useless.

stokepa31_mk2

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 7, 2008
I'm thinking of giving up ebiking for a couple of decades.

Last week, after 4 months of riding my Wisper 905 ECO to work most every day, I realised it was alot easier than when I started out. I thought either the battery voltage had increased, the gravitational constant reduced, or Burroughgrove Hill was shrinking.

My wife suggested that I maybe just got fitter. So this week I've tried the journey on a purely manual bicycle. The difference in effort is hugh, but for the last 2 days I managed the complete journey without needing to stop to admire the view. My journeys only 4 miles each way, but without my Wisper I never would have attempted it. Now maybe I don't need my Wisper anymore.

What's the best way to re-home an electric bike?
ive sold all three of my electric bikes on the forum classified so can recommend it. you will also be dealing with a more educated customer than if you down the route of evilbay!

Ive been back on a 'normal' bike for 10 months now. my best over my 20 mile route was an average of 15.8mph on my electric agattu. my current best on my felt hybrid is 15.1mph. I have to say I feel superb but god how i miss it when im ploughing into a headwind :D

Mattyduk

Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2007
went through a similar situation.

Used to have an Synergie extreme, which apart from being built like a tank, was actually a good hill climber. In the end when the 2nd battery died I felt I was a bit fitter and went back and bought a non ebike, - a road bike, which went very well for over a year.

So after 3 years since buying my first e-bike I decided to get another one as the market had matured a bit and secondly, with my wife about to have twins, I needed something that wasn't going to tire me out. Went for the proconnect and so far, very happy with it.

Barnowl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 18, 2008
Technically I believe Burroughgrove Hill is actually shrinking. Also gravity comes in waves and I've noticed it gets stronger on Monday mornings.

This is the 2nd thread about relegating e-biking to the 2nd division in the last couple of weeks. Must be the good weather.

I think it's a great idea to sell the bike if you're confident enough to ride unassisted. Depreciation seems very good from a seller point of view and this is something potential buyers of new bikes could take into account. Good luck whatever you do.:)

joab

Pedelecer
No need to shower

I will keep my e-bike, I'm about 5 minutes faster with my racebike but then I need to 2 showers, one in the morning at work and one in the evening at home. On my e-bike no need to take a shower. In summer I'm at 50-50, but in winter time I never use my racebike to commute, always my e-bike :) .

Regards,
Jo

The Maestro

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2008
If you keep up low cadence pedaling with a moderate torque in a high gear like I always did when my electric bike was working it does wonders for your fitness. I can go miles without breaking a sweat now albeit a little slower than when powered. Either that or its just discipline - I got used to getting overtaken by drop handles/grannies when I was on my electric bike and learnt to deal with it, whereas before if anyone overtook me i'd hunt them down. SO I think they educate you into conserving energy a bit.

watkin5

Pedelecer
Feb 4, 2009
Bucks
... with my wife about to have twins, I needed something that wasn't going to tire me out. ...
I don't envy you, best of luck.

... This is the 2nd thread about relegating e-biking to the 2nd division in the last couple of weeks. Must be the good weather...
Your right OMG! The hot weather is keeping the battery voltage up longer. I'm no fitter than I ever was, I've just been fooling myself. If only I'd thought it through earlier, I would never have left my Wisper chained to the gas pipe all day.

... but then I need to 2 showers, one in the morning at work and one in the evening at home...
I'm lucky, I work only 4 miles from home, and it's mainly down hill to get there. I enjoy cycling to work even unassisted, it heading home that fills me with dread.