I love this!

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
Reactions: flecc

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
my guess is that they are fully legal as well!
If rated at 250 watts completely legal as an unregistered pedelec.

Motor powers over that would make it a Quadricycle, needing type approval, registration, number plates, insurance, MOTs, but no VED (road tax).

craiggor

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 9, 2015
On tonights news. Southampton university students have designed and built a 2000w hand cycle for Alex Lewis a quadruple amputee to help get him up Ethiopia's highest mountain. Video on you tube "Naeah the hand cycle"

Sent from my K107 using Tapatalk

KirstinS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 5, 2011
Brighton
So glad you guys like it as much as I do :)
I’m going to start with.... I love this too

Warning , incoming BUT

But ....who is this for in the uk ? Its less convenient (as he says) than an ebike

Is is no more waterproof , well not much tbh. You are still gonna need serious waterproof clothes in winter

And then he talks about the “last mile” being very key.

Which it is

Which this utterly, totally doesn’t address . Not the designers fault , they didn’t make this for last mile but for e bikeable commuting distance in more comfort

So I’m back to ....who is this for ?

And I land at.....a small minority of ebike fraternity mega geeks with tons of money who live somewhere that ain’t the uk

That roof though . I love it . For me that’s the very epitomy of “Keep It Simple” brilliance

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
Requires a garage - check!
Secure parking at destination - check!
Fine for my commute :) I am part of the target population except for the tons of money bit :(

Seriously you need to provide a way to stop kids (of all ages) from getting in to "try the seat" when you are parked. Some of these vehicles get around the problem by parking tilted onto their rear.

KirstinS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 5, 2011
Brighton
Requires a garage - check!
Secure parking at destination - check!
Fine for my commute :) I am part of the target population except for the tons of money bit :(

Seriously you need to provide a way to stop kids (of all ages) from getting in to "try the seat" when you are parked. Some of these vehicles get around the problem by parking tilted onto their rear.
It works for me too for same reasons(mostly) . And I’d add the crucial demographic of people prepared to cycle commute in all weathers

But I’d still take an ebike as it gives me cycle path access , zip past stationary cars on roads and can park anywhere (more or less ) . This can’t do that and is likely to be terribly pricey . And not much good for anything else (my current commuter is also a fab all mountain machine)

Excellent point about seat testing though, never thought of that

I should need a weather proof version to be of any use in the uk and give me any serious advantage (comfort aside) over a bike . At least if we are talking about commuting

If it’s just a small curiosity for rich folk that’s different

Why is this so different from a Renault Twizy ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
Why is this so different from a Renault Twizy ?
It has pedals, is a pedelec (25 km/h), can go on cycle paths here (85 cm wide), can park in cycle parking areas not just moped parking areas...

The Twizy that suits me the most is the 80 km/h version so it is a car. But the range isn't enough, I need 250 km in a car.