I need a 60Nm replacement for our Van Raam rickshaw

antbolding

Just Joined
Jun 2, 2023
Hi, Beartown Rickshaw runs a rickshaw service in Congleton (btrickshaw.uk ) . We have an issue with the power controller overheating and we are getting a bit fed up with the supplier. We would like to replace the electronics, battery and hub motor. It must be street legal (250W) but we do need as much torque as possible - current motor is 60Nm. We don't need speed. Can anyone recommend a solution please.

Attachments

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
I would recommend you fit my mid motor 48V BBS01ET and modify the rear cassette to keep the front to rear ratio low and torque high. You have maximum 100NM at the 44T chainring, so if you fit 22T, 24T, 26T, 28T, 30T,34T, 36T, 38T, you'll get 50NM, 54NM, 59NM, 63NM, 81NM etc

Reactions: antbolding

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
Hi, Beartown Rickshaw runs a rickshaw service in Congleton (btrickshaw.uk ) . We have an issue with the power controller overheating and we are getting a bit fed up with the supplier. We would like to replace the electronics, battery and hub motor. It must be street legal (250W) but we do need as much torque as possible - current motor is 60Nm. We don't need speed. Can anyone recommend a solution please.
It might be an idea to show us what you have. There are many types of rickshaw that have different motor and transmission systems.

Do you need the reverse function?

If you decide to buy a new one for whatever reason, do yourself a favour and get a Maxpro. they've been making electric pedicabs for as long as I can remember. They're proper professional ones and a lot cheaper than what you have, and you can make extra money from advertising on them:
The owner used to be on this forum, and he had an excellemt reputation for his service as well as his products.

antbolding

Just Joined
Jun 2, 2023
It might be an idea to show us what you have. There are many types of rickshaw that have different motor and transmission systems.

Do you need the reverse function?

If you decide to buy a new one for whatever reason, do yourself a favour and get a Maxpro. they've been making electric pedicabs for as long as I can remember. They're proper professional ones and a lot cheaper than what you have, and you can make extra money from advertising on them:
The owner used to be on this forum, and he had an excellemt reputation for his service as well as his products.
Thanks - first post - added some pictures.

antbolding

Just Joined
Jun 2, 2023
I would recommend you fit my mid motor 48V BBS01ET and modify the rear cassette to keep the front to rear ratio low and torque high. You have maximum 100NM at the 44T chainring, so if you fit 22T, 24T, 26T, 28T, 30T,34T, 36T, 38T, you'll get 50NM, 54NM, 59NM, 63NM, 81NM etc
Thanks - I will take a look. I emailed you first but Tony said you could not help.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Thanks - I will take a look. I emailed you first but Tony said you could not help.
I wasn't thinking of crank drives then. I was mainly concerned with heat dissipation.
At low RPM, all motors lose efficiency, a higher proportion of energy will turn into heat.
Without a temperature sensor and appropriate firmware, the temperature is left to rise and their permanent magnets can reach 75 degrees C, they start losing their magnetism and reducing efficiency. The rider will react by increasing the throttle or assist level, thus creating a positive feedback. Eventually, the controller will overheat. Something like that could have happened with your previous motors.
The main thing is you need to keep the cadence to around 70RPM as much as possible. On a pedicab, that's tricky.

eFred

Pedelecer
Jul 21, 2020
Whoosh bikes do the Shengyi DWG22C rear hub kit which is rated at 80nm. They say it’s suitable for cargo bikes and certainly works well on my MTB. Good company to deal with and would answer any questions you have.

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
Whoosh bikes do the Shengyi DWG22C rear hub kit which is rated at 80nm. They say it’s suitable for cargo bikes and certainly works well on my MTB. Good company to deal with and would answer any questions you have.
It's not the motor that's the problem.That motor driving a pedicab at 8 mph will draw the maximum current from the controller all the time, which will over-heat it, which is the problem that OP is trying to solve. The solution is a slower motor or bigger controller that can shed more heat. OP's electrical system is bespoke, so not easy to swap components. Normally, a 24v battery and controller that can handle double the current would solve it.

For a new system, you'd need something like a 201 rpm 48v motor with a high internal reduction ratio run at 36v or 24v to reduce the speed, but geared motors can't run in reverse. Any crank motor would also work but we have no details of OP's bottom bracket to see if one fits.

Last edited:

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
The DWG22C I sell only goes up to 60NM max. I don't see it capable of hauling weight at any speed below 8mph for long because the low efficiency is going to shed so much heat that the permanent magnets will demagnetise. Furthermore, the internal gearbox is not robust enough to withstand frequent start stops of up to 400kg vehicle. You need the chain to give the drive train some flexibility and absorb some repetitive shocks.

eFred

Pedelecer
Jul 21, 2020
The DWG22C I sell only goes up to 60NM max. I don't see it capable of hauling weight at any speed below 8mph for long because the low efficiency is going to shed so much heat that the permanent magnets will demagnetise. Furthermore, the internal gearbox is not robust enough to withstand frequent start stops of up to 400kg vehicle. You need the chain to give the drive train some flexibility and absorb some repetitive shocks.
So not really usable for a cargo bike?

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
You can use the DWG22C for cargo bikes, up to about 250kgs and your average speed is likely faster than 8mph. Pedicabs are heavier and slower.

AGS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 12, 2023
Bung a QS205 on it and give your passengers a thrill ride.