I need some advice about replacing an Impulse 2 mid-motor

Keterick

Finding my (electric) wheels
Oct 15, 2011
I have a chance to swap the burned-out motor from an Impulse 2 bike with this https://www.amazon.co.uk/Derby-Cycle-eBike-Impulse-Backpedal/dp/B07HJ839G9 , Derby Cycle eBike Motor Impulse 2.2 Backpedal Brake Impulse 2. I do not currently have such a motor in situ as I believe that back pedal brake motors were not imported into the UK On these bikes. So if I fit this motor, will it matter? Will it still work the same as the current motor with no back pedal braking function? Thank you so much for your wisdom.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
dont bother they all fail as they have a design flaw 50 cycles went bust because of this motor, the evo is also not much better id leave well alone ;)

• Agree
Reactions: flecc

Keterick

Oct 15, 2011
yes, well I was duped into spending all my savings on this one before I knew about these issues, I took advice from this very forum before buying that bike, so I am stuck with it and I need to make the best of it. I cannot afford to buy a new bike but I can afford to replace the motor. So please can anyone, ANYBODY tell me whether this back pedal brake motor would be OK on a bike without back pedal brake functions or not? No more unkind replies please, I am not the wealthiest person and I have to do all my own maintenance and I cannot afford a new bike. This bike is my only form of transport and I have no public transport where I live.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
hello Keterick,

where about do you live? if you are not too far from Southend, bring your bike in to my shop, I'll try to work out a solution for you.

wheeliepete

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 28, 2016
Devon
No wish to sound unkind, but to throw £800 at a new motor with no warranty that could fail within a couple of 100 miles, is not the way to go. How old is the bike? There's a good chance you will also be needing a new battery as well in the near future. For that money you could buy a s/h bike and fit a kit from Woosh. Those motors are available on Ebay in the freewheel version for your bike.

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
Is the current motor repairable?

This company has a good general reputation and mention Impulse2 on their website.

Worth a try before dropping eight hundred quid on a new one.

hairyneville

Pedelecer
Feb 24, 2020
Keterick - I'm in the same position as you. I bought a Kalkhoff Pro Connect i8 with Impulse 2.0 mid motor at the end of 2017. I was advised by the e-bike shop owner that it would be the perfect e-bike for my 12 mile daily round commute through hilly country. I borrowed money from my parents to buy the bike, and paid them back over the next few months.

In fairness, the bike itself is comfortable and good quality, but after a period of patchy employment I finally found a decent job with a 17.4 mile daily round commute and the Impulse motor catastrophically broke down on my third day of the job with 1384 miles on the clock! I was very lucky that it happened when there was no traffic going in the same direction as me and while I was alongside one of the few pedestrian pavements along the route.

Having looked into the Impulse 2.0 motor, I've decided against having it replaced. From posts on this site regarding the Impulse 2.0 as well as information elsewhere, I've taken the motor's maximum endurance as 1400 miles - and using that in my calculations, I've worked out that I'd have to replace the motor every 80 days on a 17.4 mile daily round commute!

Before buying the bike, I researched the bike model and found only positive reviews. Sadly, if I'd researched the Impulse 2.0 at that time then I would have found all the information I found recently (after the motor died).

I feel that I was missold the bike, but the bike shop won't respond to my enquiries. The model I bought was available with either the Impulse motor or a Bosch motor, so I have no idea why the shop didn't recommend the Bosch-equipped model considering that the Impulse motor's problems were a known quantity even before I bought it. I'm sure all Kalkhoff will do is offer to replace the motor like for like, and now that I'm unemployed once again - thanks to the motor failing so spectacularly - I don't have enough money to buy a new bike.

I thought about refitting the bike with a different (i.e. non-Impulse) motor but I don't think another motor would physcially fit the frame (as the Impulse was essentially Kalkhoff's own motor - though from information on this forum, I think a third party designed and manufactured it), plus the cost of a new motor, battery, wiring and control system would probably be almost the same as a new bike.

If you use the bike less than I did (i.e. 2-4 miles a day or something similar as opposed to my 12 - 17.4 miles!) and the bike is still in warranty then it might be worth approaching the bike shop regarding a free motor replacement - or perhaps contact Kalkhoff directly. One of my local bike shops offered to contact Kalkhoff on my behalf regarding a "goodwill" out-of-waranty motor replacement even though I didn't buy the bike from that shop, so you might be able to find someone to help with your enquiries. Ultimately, though, I wouldn't spend any more money on the motor as you'll just have to keep spending.

I'm trying to make a bit of money back by selling my Kalkhoff for spares/repairs but I don't hold out much hope that anyone will want it! A couple of local e-bike shops politely but emphatically turned it down when I offered it to them. I should have a post here in the General Discussions section looking for alternative means of disposal if you want to see how things go for me.

Good luck finding more information about the alternative motor, and solving the Impulse problem in general!

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Contact the Bearings man as linked to in Post #6 above by Rob.

A cheaper possible gamble if motor is unrepairable is to buy a second hand working impulse bike and re fit the motor to your or use the other, recouping some money buy breaking one up and selling the parts separately.

hairyneville

Pedelecer
Feb 24, 2020
Keterick - Just passing on some potential options from my own thread.

Did you buy the bike recently? If you used a credit card then you may be able to approach the credit card company to make a Section 75 claim to recover at least part of the money you spent on the bike. You'll probably need to be pretty persistent and provide links to all the evidence that shows Kalkhoff knew about the faults in the Impulse 2.0 motors, but I think it may be worth it.

If you paid by debit card in the last 120 days then you may be able to make a claim through the Chargeback scheme, but unlike Section 75 it's not written into law so you might have more trouble convincing your debit card supplier to do anything.

In my case, I paid by debit card in September 2017 so I have no recourse along these lines but hopefully this information may help you.

All the best.

• Useful
Reactions: Nealh

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
I think perhaps you should talk with Woosh... As he offered. If the bike is basically sound, then presumably a standard chain set can be fitted and a nice strong rear wheel drive fitted.
Not possible with out engineering/welding a plate and BB in place of the current drive.
Sadly between all the manufacturer there is not a standard for engineering the basic frame fabrication for the mid drives all appear to be somewhat different in there dimensions frame fixture. Then there is the electronics which in most case are specific to each drive and battery so they won't work with each other.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
I don't know what problem Keterick's bike has.
If it's a needle bearing problem, then take a look at this, I reckon performancelinebearings should be able to help him.

https://www.performancelinebearings.com/impulse-2-bearing-identifier/

I was looking into a possibility of mounting a smaller CD motor into the existing saddle for the impulse 2 via a 3D print piece.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
So please can anyone, ANYBODY tell me whether this back pedal brake motor would be OK on a bike without back pedal brake functions or not?
These were designed as back pedal brake only, but that was removed to suit the UK when exported here. I'm about 90% certain it would work just as well as your old unit since I cannot see any reason why not.

However, £834 is an excessive price for a mid drive unit, £500 to £600 is more normal, and for very little more you could buy a new e-bike. See this Woosh page for example.

hairyneville

Pedelecer
Feb 24, 2020
Woosh, Nealh - I'd definitely be interested in that! Even after everything that's happened with the motor, I'm still impressed by the build quality of the Pro Connect frame and I'm happy with the components used (I've only had to change the drivechain as part of ongoing maintenance). It's frustrating that there are currently no cost-effective alternatives to simply replacing one crappy Impulse motor for another equally useless Impulse motor - something which may still be possible for free, but even so I don't want to go that route.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Even a free repair by way of an exchange drive has got to be better, a working bike vs a non working bike. Then it buys you more time to try and get a settlement whilst still being mobile.

hairyneville

Pedelecer
Feb 24, 2020
Keterick - I've just found out that if you purchased your Impulse motor on or after 1 August 2017 then it's still covered by manufacturer's warranty (Kalkhoff have "generously" extended the warranty by 12 months). If you got the bike from a shop then try contacting them for a replacement, or else try another local shop as they may be willing to help.

EDIT - The extended warranty is for Impulse motors manufactured after 2017 and purchased on or after 1 August 2017, but confusingly they also state "3 year warranty on all Impulse drives". ?!?

If you get a replacement motor to keep you rolling, then you may want to do as I've done and make a complaint to the bike shop under the Consumer Rights Act 2015 (there's template text for opening the complaint e-mail under the "What to say" heading).

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Nealh

deedee

Sep 8, 2016
london
I had an impulse 2 motor fail (Making clacking noise) and Bought an exchange Impulse 2.2 motor from www.pro-cycling- golla.de Germany with Speed Derestriction ( Done by changing wheel size within Motor software) .(You send your motor to them and they send new one with 12 months warranty)
But then that failed !(Clacking noise started)And they sent another under warranty .it seems these dont last more than 2000 miles before they start making noises of distress and doomed to failure (maybe unless we service them with new bearings and regrease regularly?)
I think peter collard at performance line bearings as mentioned is our saving grace! What a find! Thanks who mentioned it here!
And woosh 3d printing a bb so as to use standard bb would be great! So we can go use something better like bafang bbshd!
and yes i hang onto this kalkhoff ergo bike because the frame, geometry,magura brakes and all Components are bomb proof and solid Under hard braking and comfortable- pitty the motor And customer service lets it down so Badly
8F02141B-761B-4A89-A4A0-46823A74327A.jpeg8F02141B-761B-4A89-A4A0-46823A74327A.jpeg

Reactions: hairyneville

hairyneville

Pedelecer
Feb 24, 2020
I had an impulse 2 motor fail (Making clacking noise) and Bought an exchange Impulse 2.2 motor from www.pro-cycling- golla.de Germany with Speed Derestriction ( Done by changing wheel size within Motor software) .(You send your motor to them and they send new one with 12 months warranty)
But then that failed !(Clacking noise started)And they sent another under warranty .it seems these dont last more than 2000 miles before they start making noises of distress and doomed to failure (maybe unless we service them with new bearings and regrease regularly?)
I think peter collard at performance line bearings as mentioned is our saving grace! What a find! Thanks who mentioned it here!
And woosh 3d printing a bb so as to use standard bb would be great! So we can go use something better like bafang bbshd!
and yes i hang onto this kalkhoff ergo bike because the frame, geometry,magura brakes and all Components are bomb proof and solid Under hard braking and comfortable- pitty the motor And customer service lets it down so Badly
View attachment 38008View attachment 38008
What an absolute nightmare! This is precisely why I don't want to let the shop replace my Kalkhoff Pro Connect i9's motor under warranty - I'll be stuck in a never-ending horror show of taking my bike into the shop to have the motor replaced every 3 months, resulting in having no reliable form of transport for a couple of months of the year anyway.

I'm still planning on making a small claim at court against the shop - rather than against Kalkhoff. The argument is that they had a responsibility to know about the issues with the Impulse range of motors before I bought the bike (and I have evidence to show that these issues were well known pre-2017) but they still recommended it to me for the precise level of usage that results in regular motor failure in the first place! Sadly there's a backlog of claims thanks to Covid-19 so I'm not sure when best to make mine - I'm hoping the shop might settle before it gets to court, but the current backlog would mean they'd be able to sit and wait indefinitely before doing that anyway.

I hope your new setup proves more reliable. I've decided to get one of Woosh's rear hub motor bikes. They have a good reputation for durability and reliability and even if something does go wrong then replacing the motors and other electronic components will be less of a headache than dealing with a company's proprietary technology - ironically, this is the exact opposite of what that bike shop advised me all those years ago... :D