I rode a hog and I liked it :)

Fordulike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 26, 2010
Ha ha, before you all start complaining to the administrator or RSPCA, it's actually an electric bike. This one in fact:

Powerhog Electric Bike

My friend bought one last month and I persuaded him to come out on part of the C2C, mainly so I could have a go actually :cool:

Considering it's at the cheaper end of the electric bike scale (hate to think how much I've spent on mine o_O), it was quite a nice ride.
Didn't ride too badly over the shale sections of the C2C, although I did avoid any large potholes due to the smaller wheels than my bike.

Power delivery was smooth, but nothing to set the world alight. Again I'm comparing to my bike (Bafang BBS02 750w), so a bit unfair to make a direct comparison.
Brakes were ok and stopped the bike safely. Shifted through the 6 gears nicely.

The geometry isn't for me as a general leisure bike on the trails and C2C, but as a commuter, this wouldn't be a bad bike at all.

Anyone else got one and agree with me?

kangooroo

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 24, 2015
Wye Valley
I have the Basis Finch with a very similar design and spec - no complaints at all.

• Informative
Reactions: Fordulike

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Good price and free delivery, fully equipped to with mudguards, carrier and lights of sorts.

Last edited:

kangooroo

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 24, 2015
Wye Valley
Mechanical disc brakes front and rear to both bikes. Mine has covered several thousand miles and neither troublesome nor noisy.

My budget doesn't stretch to expensive bikes but I've had no problems at all on the (relative) 'cheapies' and cycle on a range of surfaces doing anything but commuting.

Fordulike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 26, 2010
Mechanical disc brakes front and rear to both bikes. Mine has covered several thousand miles and neither troublesome nor noisy.
How'd you find the mechanical brakes. Do you find they fade or require regular adjustments?

richtea99

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 8, 2020
How'd you find the mechanical brakes. Do you find they fade or require regular adjustments?
Mine (cheap Shimano mechanical discs on an Orbea Gain) don't fade until the pads are mostly worn out, at which point they slowly become useless.

However, they do need a lot more adjustment than rim brakes. I probably change the cable adjusters roughly every 100-150 miles, the static pad maybe every 400 miles, and I've had to replace the pads at around 800-1000 miles.

On the other hand they work a lot better than rim brakes, and at £8 a pair it's no big deal.
I wouldn't go back.

• Informative
Reactions: Fordulike

Andy-Mat

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 26, 2018
Ha ha, before you all start complaining to the administrator or RSPCA, it's actually an electric bike. This one in fact:

Powerhog Electric Bike

My friend bought one last month and I persuaded him to come out on part of the C2C, mainly so I could have a go actually :cool:

Considering it's at the cheaper end of the electric bike scale (hate to think how much I've spent on mine o_O), it was quite a nice ride.
Didn't ride too badly over the shale sections of the C2C, although I did avoid any large potholes due to the smaller wheels than my bike.

Power delivery was smooth, but nothing to set the world alight. Again I'm comparing to my bike (Bafang BBS02 750w), so a bit unfair to make a direct comparison.
Brakes were ok and stopped the bike safely. Shifted through the 6 gears nicely.

The geometry isn't for me as a general leisure bike on the trails and C2C, but as a commuter, this wouldn't be a bad bike at all.

Anyone else got one and agree with me?
Looks great, and anyone could buy two and have every spare part, and a second battery, right to hand!!!
It will probably attract a lot of sensible buyers I feel, as well as cutting into the sales of almost every other e-bike!
regards
Andy
PS. They appear to have several larger modely, up to around 1,000 UK Pounds, on offer as well.

Fordulike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 26, 2010
I had another cheeky go. Bit longer this time. I had forgotten how much more relaxing a hub motor is, compared to a mid drive. Cyclamatic and MAC rear hub, before my BBS02.

As much as I love a mid drive for the ability to power up most hills, a hub motor is literally fire and forget, until you get to a very steep hill, then it's perspire and sweat :D

Reactions: Andy-Mat