I think I have my alien conversion just about right now

Old Timer

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 5, 2009
The recent additions of a quil handlebar stem extender, a decent comfortable seat, a more modern up to date set of index gear front and rear changers and some changes to the front triple chainrings from biopace to normal rings giving me a small granny biopace, a 48 tooth circular middle and a 52 tooth outer plus new cables and upgraded brake blocks have made this bike a real treat to ride. With the mod to the pedelec ring I can now get down to some serious training or poodle along in a high gear with assistance( wind and terrain permitting) There is more noticeable noise from the front hub but none more than most rears which is mainly because you are riding behind the hub and the noise is coming towards you rather than rear hubs where you leave the noise behind. Can`t really go much further with add ons etc and to be honest from thinking and saving up for a better bike (something like a wisper) I really do think that I wouldn`t gain anything from the layout of the extra cash and certainly wouldn`t get the weight down to the Evans equivalent for sure. I don`t doubt that something might come along that will relieve me of my bank balance one day but doing the conversion has been great fun and certainly has taught me what I would want from a ready made e bike in the future. The Alien kit can`t compare with some of the Chinese import kits on price but it is a well sorted set up with a good battery, a Barfang motor and as others have found out there is a decent back up if needed.
If you have a decent bike that meets the criteria then it is one way at a non bank braking outlay to get into E bikes for sure.

Dave

jerrysimon

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 27, 2009
Cambridge, UK
If you have a decent bike that meets the criteria then it is one way at a non bank braking outlay to get into E bikes for sure.
Dave
As my first Ebike conversion I would agree that you probably can't beat the kit in terms of out the box functionality, plus the great backup support the company provides for problems or faults.

Regards

Jerry

Last edited:

onmebike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 3, 2010
West Essex
The recent additions of a quil handlebar stem extender, a decent comfortable seat, a more modern up to date set of index gear front and rear changers and some changes to the front triple chainrings from biopace to normal rings giving me a small granny biopace, a 48 tooth circular middle and a 52 tooth outer plus new cables and upgraded brake blocks have made this bike a real treat to ride. With the mod to the pedelec ring I can now get down to some serious training or poodle along in a high gear with assistance( wind and terrain permitting) There is more noticeable noise from the front hub but none more than most rears which is mainly because you are riding behind the hub and the noise is coming towards you rather than rear hubs where you leave the noise behind. Can`t really go much further with add ons etc and to be honest from thinking and saving up for a better bike (something like a wisper) I really do think that I wouldn`t gain anything from the layout of the extra cash and certainly wouldn`t get the weight down to the Evans equivalent for sure. I don`t doubt that something might come along that will relieve me of my bank balance one day but doing the conversion has been great fun and certainly has taught me what I would want from a ready made e bike in the future. The Alien kit can`t compare with some of the Chinese import kits on price but it is a well sorted set up with a good battery, a Barfang motor and as others have found out there is a decent back up if needed.

Dave

You hanen't got one of these yet Dave?

Foehn & Hirsch BikeMate 2GB MP3 Player/Speaker on eBay (end time 25-May-10 12:38:05 BST)