I think I may have talked myself out of buying an electric bike………for now anyway.

AMcG

Just Joined
Apr 6, 2022
I haven’t ridden a bike in over fifteen years, but having recently retired from an office job I fancy the idea of getting an e-bike. The reason primarily is for the sheer fun of it, but also to improve my general health and hopefully help me lose some weight.

I’m 58, weigh 115kg, in good health but unfit. I want something that can fit in the back of the car and that I can take to parks and bike routes away from traffic, with modest off-road capability such as dirt paths. My budget is £1000 and as the idea is to mostly use it with little or no assist, the motor would help me on inclines, so I need something that’s not too heavy to ride without assistance but doesn’t need to have an outstanding range.

In my internet search, the one bike that I feel would match my needs is the Rambletta by Woosh, but unfortunately, I’m a stone over the maximum load weight and they would, therefore, not be able to guarantee the frame.

This got me thinking about the overall design of folding bikes and it occurs to me that because they fold and have no top bar to create a triangle, their inherent strength is therefore compromised. UK sellers like Woosh value their reputation and have to sell reliable bikes and be able to honour their warranty commitments. Chinese brands, which I have considered, sell cheaper bikes and publish weight limits of 120kg which seems optimistic to me.

One other bike which could be a contender is the Mycle Compact, but there is very little review information available about the bike or the after-sales service.

Sadly, I’ve come to the conclusion that, given my current weight, a reliable e-bike that meets my needs probably doesn’t exist but I would like to hear your views and experiences and I would be grateful for any advice you can offer.

matthewslack

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2021
I haven’t ridden a bike in over fifteen years, but having recently retired from an office job I fancy the idea of getting an e-bike. The reason primarily is for the sheer fun of it, but also to improve my general health and hopefully help me lose some weight.

I’m 58, weigh 115kg, in good health but unfit. I want something that can fit in the back of the car and that I can take to parks and bike routes away from traffic, with modest off-road capability such as dirt paths. My budget is £1000 and as the idea is to mostly use it with little or no assist, the motor would help me on inclines, so I need something that’s not too heavy to ride without assistance but doesn’t need to have an outstanding range.

In my internet search, the one bike that I feel would match my needs is the Rambletta by Woosh, but unfortunately, I’m a stone over the maximum load weight and they would, therefore, not be able to guarantee the frame.

This got me thinking about the overall design of folding bikes and it occurs to me that because they fold and have no top bar to create a triangle, their inherent strength is therefore compromised. UK sellers like Woosh value their reputation and have to sell reliable bikes and be able to honour their warranty commitments. Chinese brands, which I have considered, sell cheaper bikes and publish weight limits of 120kg which seems optimistic to me.

One other bike which could be a contender is the Mycle Compact, but there is very little review information available about the bike or the after-sales service.

Sadly, I’ve come to the conclusion that, given my current weight, a reliable e-bike that meets my needs probably doesn’t exist but I would like to hear your views and experiences and I would be grateful for any advice you can offer.
One stone over, which as you start riding, you may lose quite quickly, is certainly to be properly thought about, but I don't think it needs to be a red line. The limit takes into account more than just rider weight: it also has to consider terrain loading, I.e. bumps and potholes and so on.

Ridden gently on smooth surfaces to start with, it might well be fine.

Plan B would be a first bike that is fine for weight, but not folding, to get you going until you are ready for the Rambletta. This could be either secondhand, or sold when you no longer need it to minimise the costs of a two bike program.

The physical and mental well being benefits of being able to get out and gently exercise in the fresh air are huge. I'm a few years older than you, not yet retired, and very conscious that the active years ahead may not be as numerous as I would like. Don't let them go to waste!

Last edited:

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
One will be fine don't forget a lot of folks use panniers on a bike as well loaded with shopping.

Bonzo Banana

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2019
Also bear in mind how aluminium fails. It fatigues over time. I think the certification is done to give a realistic lifespan of 7-10 years of reasonable use but if you overload the frame or ride very frequently this will reduce. Frames don't fail immediately. 10% over stated load is not a huge issue. You can also fit larger tyres and make sure they are inflated to give a good suspension effect with your weight. You can use a spring saddle or suspension seat post etc to mean your weight doesn't jolt the frame. Riding carefully avoid potholes and other issues that will cause a larger fatigue impact to the frame. Frames can fail at various points, a common failure point is around the bottom bracket and this is typical of more powerful cyclists rather than heavier cyclists. You can see from below aluminium starts off very strong but it has no endurance limit so always gets weaker with use. When first bought you have 100% of its strength but end of life the frame may only be 1/3rd as strong and that is the time where it will fail. Maybe the frame will fail in 4 or 5 years or maybe it won't fail at all.

Lots of things you can do to reduce fatigue and you should get years out of the frame before its a factor. Also if its a bike that is non-proprietary you may be able to move the parts onto a replacement frame at low cost if there was an issue. Some high end ebikes cost many thousands to replace frames but others you could just buy a secondhand frame cheap and in an afternoon replace your frame.

I've overloaded bikes by as much as 30% of their stated maximum load and they are still going but that was a mountain bike used on the road so I was using the additional strength of the mountain bike as a way of cycling on the road. I didn't need the additional strength of that bike for off-road use. So that is another option choose a e-mountain bike doesn't have to be a high end one just a model with a strong frame and decent mountain bike style wheels with a high spoke count.

Reactions: AMcG

cyclebuddy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 2, 2016
Beds & Norfolk
I agree with what's been said above...

Chinese brands, which I have considered, sell cheaper bikes and publish weight limits of 120kg which seems optimistic to me.
Nearly all folding e-bikes at the £1000 level are made from parts sourced from the far-east, even if some brands like Woosh and Mycle are screwing them together here in the UK.

The 120kg quoted weight limit isn't optimistic. I've regularly had 130kg+ on my £800 Chinese Fiido D11 folding e-bike (me plus luggage). When you're at the upper weight limits, you don't want to be kerbing the bike or hitting enlarged potholes with gusto, but ridden and maintained with care, you'll soon see your weight drop and fitness improve to a level where you're well within those stated limits.

From my own experience, I think you're being far too cautious. You'll wake up in 5 years time being 5 years older, more unfit than you feel you already are, and likely a good few kg's heavier, regretting having not taken this opportunity to start e-biking now.

AndyBike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 8, 2020
Also bear in mind how aluminum fails. It fatigues over time. I think the certification is done to give a realistic lifespan of 7-10 years of reasonable use but if you overload the frame or ride very frequently this will reduce.
I'm also on retrobike, and there we have people who ride daily on and offroad alloy bikes that are 30+ years old. So im not really sure a lifespan of 10 or even 20 is a realistic number.

Bonzo Banana

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2019
I'm also on retrobike, and there we have people who ride daily on and offroad alloy bikes that are 30+ years old. So im not really sure a lifespan of 10 or even 20 is a realistic number.
Oh I wasn't saying that all frames will fail at 7-10 years I'm saying the certification is based around a minimum lifespan of that time. There has been Decathlon frames fail within only a couple of weeks with the Rockrider recalls and other frames in their range collapsed but other frames seem to last a very long time. The certification tests use a jig to accelerate frame fatigue by rapidly flexing the frame repeatedly for hours or days but it cannot be as 100% accurate. Many people are well under the maximum load ratings of bikes as well so will get much longer lifespans out of their frames. So many variables.

I'm a very heavy chap and using a Saracen Pylon. I bought it secondhand and much abused from a cycle shop for £30 who couldn't be bothered to sort it out to sell on due to its tatty condition so I bought it as is. It looks like its had a hard life and that is from 2006. It's a bit of a tank though and very overbuilt.

If you personally import a bike or frame from outside the EU or US you can bypass the necessary certification and the supplier can make any random claim they want on load capacity as its uncertified. I.e. aliexpress.

• Agree
Reactions: AndyBike and AMcG

AMcG

Just Joined
Apr 6, 2022
Thank you to everyone who was kind enough to reply to my post. I'm a little overwhelmed by the amount of positive encouragement I have received from you all and this has given me renewed confidence to get back into cycling. I'm not so worried now about being a little over the weight limit and think I will go ahead with purchasing a folding e-bike. First, though, I'm going to get my old mountain bike out of the shed, fit some new tyres, inner tubes, and brakes and take it out locally to get me back in the saddle.

GLJoe

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 21, 2017
UK
... I will go ahead with purchasing a folding e-bike. First, though, I'm going to get my old mountain bike out of the shed, fit some new tyres, inner tubes, and brakes and take it out locally to get me back in the saddle.
Folding bikes have their place, however small wheels etc can give a very unpleasant ride off smooth tarmac, so for your "modest off-road capability " use, your old mountain bike is almost certainly going to be a better bet there.
Getting that back on the road first and building some fitness up on a normal bike is a good idea - just spend a bit of cash on a bike carrier for the car and head for interesting, flat-ish routes while you're getting back into the swing of things and see how you get on.

cyclebuddy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 2, 2016
Beds & Norfolk
First, though, I'm going to get my old mountain bike out of the shed, fit some new tyres, inner tubes, and brakes and take it out locally to get me back in the saddle.
I tried that approach, and found it a thoroughly demoralising experience. Whereas in the early 2000's when I last rode my then quite expensive and newish manual hybrid bike, I could quite easily and enjoyably cycle 20 or 25 miles. Here I was 16 years later, and even 5 miles winded and crippled me. It left me thoroughly depressed about how unfit I really had become.

My idea back then in 2016 was to buy a cheap electric bike to get me back into the swing of cycling, and with cardio and fitness improved, sell the e-bike and get back on the saddle of the manual bike.

It didn't work out like that. I now have 3 e-bikes and would never go back. It isn't that you get less excercise on an e-bike, it just means you have far more scope in where and how far you can travel. It really broadens the horizons.

I hope your self determination and dedication to the cause is a lot stronger than mine!

Good luck, whatever route you choose.

GLJoe

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 21, 2017
UK
I tried that approach, and found it a thoroughly demoralising experience. Whereas in the early 2000's when I last rode my then quite expensive and newish manual hybrid bike, I could quite easily and enjoyably cycle 20 or 25 miles. Here I was 16 years later, and even 5 miles winded and crippled me. It left me thoroughly depressed about how unfit I really had become.
As a followup to my earlier post where I said getting the old mountain bike back on the road was a good idea - to clarify:
I do actually agree with cyclebuddy here, in that it MIGHT indeed be a "demoralising experience". This will indeed probably be the case if you start to tackle gradients - and this is why I specifically suggested driving to flat places to start off with. If this isn't an option, then yea ... bite the bullet and get an ebike, you'll love it (but I'd personally make sure the bike is going to be suitable for gravel and light off road, as many small folders aren't)

My idea back then in 2016 was to buy a cheap electric bike to get me back into the swing of cycling, and with cardio and fitness improved, sell the e-bike and get back on the saddle of the manual bike.
It didn't work out like that. I now have 3 e-bikes and would never go back.
My idea was very similar. Except that I also now have 3 ebikes (and yes ... I also would never now be without them!), but I also ended up buying non electric equivalents AS WELL, and I do my utmost to cycle on these wherever its practical. Why? well because ...

It isn't that you get less excercise on an e-bike, it just means you have far more scope in where and how far you can travel. It really broadens the horizons.
While I totally agree with the second sentence, and I really WANT to believe the first is true, in reality, I've found that I simply do not gain/retain fitness in the same way when I exclusively use my ebikes. I'm sure in theory one can manage it, but for me, in practice, using a non electric (when its possible) forces me to push myself harder, and that's better for my overall health.

• Agree
Reactions: flecc

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I've found that I simply do not gain/retain fitness in the same way when I exclusively use my ebikes. I'm sure in theory one can manage it, but for me, in practice, using a non electric (when its possible) forces me to push myself harder, and that's better for my overall health.
I've found something similar. In a hilly area and a very fit cyclist, I resisted getting a pedelec until I was in my late 60s and then mainly bought one to help with pulling a trailer. However, the unfortunate side effect it had was that it progressively ruined my unpowered cycling fitness, to the point where three years later I was struggling to manage hills I use to storm up on my unpowered bike.

So in my 70s I ended up with more powerful legal pedelecs only and now in my late 80s can't even manage on any legal pedelec so it's an e-car only now.

• Informative
Reactions: GLJoe

Stanebike

Pedelecer
Jan 5, 2020
Hi AMcG

I’m another who returned to cycling after trying an Ebike.

Have you cocidered secondhand? The Wisper 806SE folder can take 115Kg but sadly is £1500, but you occasionally find them on eBay within your budget. They have a good reputation on this forum but of course you need to be careful when buying secondhand, especially the condition of the battery as new ones can be expensive. They got a good review in a Which review of folding ebikes.

Another alternative within budget would be to consider if your existing bike could be converted to an ebike. Look at Woosh's kits and use the forums search facility to see what others have done.

Last edited:

AMcG

Just Joined
Apr 6, 2022
Hi AMcG

I’m another who returned to cycling after trying an Ebike.

Have you cocidered secondhand? The Wisper 806SE folder can take 115Kg but sadly is £1500, but you occasionally find them on eBay within your budget. They have a good reputation on this forum but of course you need to be careful when buying secondhand, especially the condition of the battery as new ones can be expensive. They got a good review in a Which review of folding ebikes.

Another alternative within budget would be to consider if your existing bike could be converted to an ebike. Look at Woosh's kits and use the forums search facility to see what others have done.
Hi Stanebike,

Many thanks for your suggestions. I have read that the Wisper bikes are very well regarded, but new they are slightly outside my budget. I've just been looking at the Ancheer 26-inch folding MTB which has alloy wheels and looks pretty good with good reviews. Does anyone have any experience or opinions about this bike?

stargazer30

Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2020
Op check out the Fazua motor ebikes. They are both an ebike and a regular bike as you can use them without the motor and battery if you want to. Plus they are light for an ebike, about 16kg. They are minimal assist though so you do need to pedal some. If you put them on full power it’s effortless but the range will be very poor.

egroover

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 12, 2016
UK
Op check out the Fazua motor ebikes. They are both an ebike and a regular bike as you can use them without the motor and battery if you want to. Plus they are light for an ebike, about 16kg. They are minimal assist though so you do need to pedal some. If you put them on full power it’s effortless but the range will be very poor.
He's got a budget of a grand

• :D
Reactions: Nealh

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
For 1k he could have the front wheel of a forza bike to make a uni cycle.

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
I considered the Ancheer over a year ago, but the battery was too small, it was too heavy at about 50lbs/22.68kg, and I was put off by the reviews. Check out the review by "Sue":

...lucklily I already has a decent bike, and the total cost including the bike and conversion kit was £918, and that's with a with a 19.2ah battery. Overall, (I think) it's a better and more customisable and repairable bike. It's also lighter, despite the larger battery... or it was until I added all kinds of other bits and pieces to the bike. Which reminds me, I must weigh it again.

Last edited: