I wonder how often this happens?

Alan Quay

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 4, 2012
Devon
i half agree - when I started cycling again some years ago, back in the uk, ordinary cycling would have been too large an initial step, too difficult. it seems very strange now, but back then the rain and dark felt that it made ordinary cycling practically unbearable half the year. Ebikes are very helpful for getting one back into cycling, tiding one over that initial unfit, difficult period. Which for me lasted more than a year on several occasions I think. But, once one is fit, ordinary cycling offers a kind of zen, repetitive, rhythmic form of exercise/zoning out/meditation that can be very peaceful (if not the only peace on offer in an average day if hypothetically one has a demanding family at home and a not much less demanding situation at work)
I have to agree with this, a great stepping stone to regular cycling.

I too have become fit enough to ride a regular bike, and there are some great bargains to be had on eBay if you know what to look for.

A few weeks back I picked up a 1 year old Carrera Kraken for £80. It was cheap because the rear mech was 'knackered'. In fact, the biggest problem was the chain needed cleaning as some fidiot had covered it in god knows what. I don't expect it'd done more than 100 miles.

Last edited:
Reactions: derf and LeighPing

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
I just take the battery off and ride. The extra 3 kg of GSM slung down low don't affect the speed of an already heavy (14.1 kg + mudguards + Big Bens + stand + rack + lights) trekking bike much. I wouldn't try riding it to Hendaye and back because I would have to push it up the hills despite my increased fitness level, they are just too steep. And me too old for that kind of thing any more... :oops:

russmcp

Finding my (electric) wheels
Aug 6, 2016
Surrey
Well I am still loving mine. I decided to spend a fair bit on it mind but I actually look forward to riding it. Just back from a 22 hilly ride in the sun.

I know I've had a workout, I'm sweating, my heart rate was up however the extreme hills I got up without stopping would have made me grumpy on the old bike. Instead I now have a big grin on my face.

This isn't the busiest forum I guess which is why people go quiet, however I check up every couple of days.

Reactions: LeighPing

LeighPing

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 27, 2016
The Red Ditch
Switching through the various settings of both power assistance levels and the gears, allows me to do as much or as little as I require to achieve fitness nirvana. :)

Or not, as the case may be. :p

Reactions: Kudoscycles
D

Deleted member 17694

I've known one person who abandoned his cycle commute after week or two and a few weeks after their initial purchase. I don't think it was a fitness issue, I think it was more to do with riding in all weathers.

Riding on a clear day is wonderful, riding in a rain storm on a windy and dark evening can be a grim experience (unless you have the proper kit and togs). In my view, that particular person was a tad 'delicate', certainly not a wimp, but someone who just didn't like to get grubby or splattered with mud etc. Personally, I'll cycle under most conditions apart from heavy snow or ice. But then again, I'm lucky enough to work somewhere that has a shower and a drying cupboard for wet clothes, a lot of people don't have access to one or other.

• Agree
Reactions: trex and LeighPing

Trevormonty

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 18, 2016
NZ
I've known one person who abandoned his cycle commute after week or two and a few weeks after their initial purchase. I don't think it was a fitness issue, I think it was more to do with riding in all weathers.

Riding on a clear day is wonderful, riding in a rain storm on a windy and dark evening can be a grim experience (unless you have the proper kit and togs). In my view, that particular person was a tad 'delicate', certainly not a wimp, but someone who just didn't like to get grubby or splattered with mud etc. Personally, I'll cycle under most conditions apart from heavy snow or ice. But then again, I'm lucky enough to work somewhere that has a shower and a drying cupboard for wet clothes, a lot of people don't have access to one or other.
I tended to be fair weather commuter but having access to wife's ebike means I ride in all weather. Use ebike with raincoat leggings and gumboots ( wellies) on wet days and my MTB on dry days.

• Agree

KeithMac

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 20, 2016
York
I ride all weather, Tesco waterproof jacket has been going strong for 5 years now coupled with a pair of waterproof trousers.

Ice is the only real problem, I usually walk the bike out to the main road when it's iced over.

• Informative

Alan Quay

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 4, 2012
Devon
I have to agree with this, a great stepping stone to regular cycling.

I too have become fit enough to ride a regular bike, and there are some great bargains to be had on eBay if you know what to look for.

A few weeks back I picked up a 1 year old Carrera Kraken for £80. It was cheap because the rear mech was 'knackered'. In fact, the biggest problem was the chain needed cleaning as some fidiot had covered it in god knows what. I don't expect it'd done more than 100 miles.
I'm not quite sure what KeithMac disagrees with about this post as he doesn't say. Perhaps he disagrees that I am now fit enough ride a regular bike, or that it was a pedelec that got me to this point. Perhaps he could expand?

• Agree

KeithMac

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 20, 2016
York
I honestly wondered what you were talking about then!.

I use my smartphone to view the boards, phone sat in my right hand and use my right thumb to scroll up and down.

It's become aparent if the page stops in certain places I randomly select options from the post lists..

Sorry for any confusion, it wasn't an intentional "disagree"!.

I'll have to check back through my posts now..

Croxden

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2013
North Staffs

I use my smartphone to view the boards, phone sat in my right hand and use my right thumb to scroll up and down.

It's become aparent if the page stops in certain places I randomly select options from the post lists..

I've missed my aim a few times, it's a man thing.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I also recorded an accidental "Disagree" a couple of days after highlighting a few words from the post and copying them, I feel sure not going anywhere near the "tag" line.

Worrying if it can happen so easily, since in my case it needlessly upset the recipient so much he deleted his post, the last thing I would ever want to happen.

Alan Quay

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 4, 2012
Devon

No harm done, thanks for the explanation.

KeithMac

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 20, 2016
York
I also recorded an accidental "Disagree" a couple of days after highlighting a few words from the post and copying them, I feel sure not going anywhere near the "tag" line.

Worrying if it can happen so easily, since in my case it needlessly upset the recipient so much he deleted his post, the last thing I would ever want to happen.
It is very easily done!.

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
I have an "offensive language" on a post and no matter how hard I twisted my nasty little mind even at the third or fourth degree I couldn't find anything offensive so I put it down to "bad aim, a man thing"... :D

• Agree
Reactions: Croxden

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
:p

• :D
Reactions: anotherkiwi

Croxden

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2013
North Staffs
I have an "offensive language" on a post and no matter how hard I twisted my nasty little mind even at the third or fourth degree I couldn't find anything offensive so I put it down to "bad aim, a man thing"... :D
Someone has a sense of humour, look who gave a bad spelling rating.

• :D
Reactions: mw1 and LeighPing