Help! I'd like to get Fiido D4S

Itamar

Just Joined
Jan 16, 2021
hello I'm living in London and I commute to Central everyday.
There's some up hill point on the way back.

I'm weight around 64 kg.

What do you guys think about Fiido d4s ?

Best regards

peem

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jan 16, 2021
Can't say about the d4s, I have the d2s and it's good. Best bet is to go onto the Fiido website, good advice on there.

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
It's a good basic Chinese bike. At only 64kg, you won't find it short of power. It has all standard parts, so maintaining and repairing it is easy if you do it yourself. If, however, you haven't a clue how to fix things, it's going to become a garden trellis some time in the future sooner or later. If you need to rely on someone else fixing your ebike, you'd be better off buying one from an ebike shop, where you can take it in whenever you have problems.

Unfortunately, no matter how much you pay, an ebike is not like a TV, where you buy it and it works for ever after. Price doesn't normally play any part in how likely or how frequently an ebike will need to be fixed.

Reactions: pentiumofborg

Mike1871

Apr 13, 2020
Hey did you ever manage to get one? I’m searching and because of Brexit it seems I cannot get one at the moment

D

Deleted member 33385

Amazon any good?

I was very very tempted by the Fiido M1, but the UK illegal throttle was my worry - I did write to Fiido asking why they couldn't restrict the throttle to 6km/h for UK legality but suprise surprise, they never responded.

It's so frustrating that decent Chinese bikes like that are not configured for the UK market! It woudn't take much effort at all - just one variable change in the controller program.

Last edited:

Mike1871

Apr 13, 2020
Amazon has them but they have long lead times and the prices seem inflated.
i like the look of the m1 but those tyres are just too chunky! Haha

cyclebuddy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 2, 2016
Beds & Norfolk
Hey did you ever manage to get one? I’m searching and because of Brexit it seems I cannot get one at the moment
Fiido used to ship to the UK from a warehouse in Poland, but since Brexit they can't do that anymore without a lot of faff. What has happened since Brexit is Fiido newly showing a sales/service centre being set up in Bath for the UK... so it seems you may just need to wait a little longer?

D

Deleted member 33385

Fiido used to ship to the UK from a warehouse in Poland, but since Brexit they can't do that anymore without a lot of faff. What has happened since Brexit is Fiido newly showing a sales/service centre being set up in Bath for the UK... so it seems you may just need to wait a little longer?

If you want to go fetch a Fiido, there's a shop in Dublin:

...because there's no UK delivery option on their website:

The M1 Pro looks very interesting:

I may take a ferry...

Mike1871

Apr 13, 2020
Yeah I did speak to them they will deliver to mainland U.K. just have to message them through WhatsApp. They asked for bank transfer though which made me nervous in the end I’ve gone and found a local guy selling one and bought a d4s from him

cyclebuddy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 2, 2016
Beds & Norfolk
If you want to go fetch a Fiido, there's a shop in Dublin:
Fiido warn that only fiido.com is a genuine supplier (Dec 2020 they were trying to close unofficial suppliers down - see notice on their website). Having said that, they have just appointed a handful of "official" sales/service centres in NI, UK, Spain and Italy, so you'd need to check on their web-site to see who is "official". The one you link is official, but check their absurd pricing!

As I understand it, it matters mostly if you need to make a warranty claim, since fiido in China need to pre-approve the repair before giving you a certificate to exchange at one of their new official dealers.

I know this because I tried to order a D11 last December, foiled by the French closing the boarders early due to Covid worries, and then Brexit. Fiido communication I found good... they said to be patient, but no hint as to when UK stocks would be available. Being impatient, I got a full refund just this week. Even so, the D11 price delivered direct from Fiido's European Warehouse was £715 - that Dublin shop show it at £1099!

D

Deleted member 33385

Yeah I did speak to them they will deliver to mainland U.K. just have to message them through WhatsApp. They asked for bank transfer though which made me nervous in the end I’ve gone and found a local guy selling one and bought a d4s from him

Have you got it? Is it good? While not wishing any ill on your new bike, I'm looking forward to finding out how user-serviceable Fiidos are, after fetching things for a few months.

D

Deleted member 33385

Fiido warn that only fiido.com is a genuine supplier (Dec 2020 they were trying to close unofficial suppliers down - see notice on their website). Having said that, they have just appointed a handful of "official" sales/service centres in NI, UK, Spain and Italy, so you'd need to check on their web-site to see who is "official". The one you link is official, but check their absurd pricing!

As I understand it, it matters mostly if you need to make a warranty claim, since fiido in China need to pre-approve the repair before giving you a certificate to exchange at one of their new official dealers.

I know this because I tried to order a D11 last December, foiled by the French closing the boarders early due to Covid worries, and then Brexit. Fiido communication I found good... they said to be patient, but no hint as to when UK stocks would be available. Being impatient, I got a full refund just this week. Even so, the D11 price delivered direct from Fiido's European Warehouse was £715 - that Dublin shop show it at £1099!

Horrible pollava, this ordering and refund business... That high markeup suggests that the Dublin shop might be an official reseller, not Fiido themselves.

Mike1871

Apr 13, 2020
Have you got it? Is it good? While not wishing any ill on your new bike, I'm looking forward to finding out how user-serviceable Fiidos are, after fetching things for a few months.
yeah I have it and it feels good so far! You certainly feel the bumps as you would expect on a little folder bike as I’ve had a manual folding bike before and it feels the same as that. There’s a brilliant user forum for fiido bikes on Facebook that’s why I went for it. I wanted a cheap introduction to electric bikes with a big following, I expect there to be teething issues but I hope the following allows me to easily obtain advice on any issues that arise. It’s easily unlockable and when unlocked will cruise at about 18-20mph which I feel safer at. 15 would be too slow but that’s my opinion. Most of London is 20 and doing 20 means big busses don’t seem to try to overtake you which is a lot more reassuring.
im a trainee multi-skilled engineer so I hope to learn and be able to work on the bicycle myself without too much trouble. I don’t think I would have bought if I wasn’t hands on

D

Deleted member 33385

yeah I have it and it feels good so far! You certainly feel the bumps as you would expect on a little folder bike as I’ve had a manual folding bike before and it feels the same as that. There’s a brilliant user forum for fiido bikes on Facebook that’s why I went for it. I wanted a cheap introduction to electric bikes with a big following, I expect there to be teething issues but I hope the following allows me to easily obtain advice on any issues that arise. It’s easily unlockable and when unlocked will cruise at about 18-20mph which I feel safer at. 15 would be too slow but that’s my opinion. Most of London is 20 and doing 20 means big busses don’t seem to try to overtake you which is a lot more reassuring.
im a trainee multi-skilled engineer so I hope to learn and be able to work on the bicycle myself without too much trouble. I don’t think I would have bought if I wasn’t hands on

I've also go a little folder, a Dahon Helios P8 with Bafang BBS01b kit - it's brilliant! I found that changing to a thicker tyre on the front, and a sprung seat really helps reduce bump jolts. The M1 Pro is pretty much a light motorbike frame, with it's front and rear suspension plus fat tyres to ease away the bumps. Plus it only weighs 24kg, even with all that metal. My bike plus kit is a bit lighter at 22.7kg, but there's no way I can add front and rear suspension to it. The Fiidos seem to be decent ebikes, I may get one. Can't have too many ebikes.

Last edited:

Jan b

Just Joined
Mar 13, 2021
Do you know any more about this new warehouse? I ordered a Fiido from Banggood on 4th January and since then nothing... I contact customer service once a week and they keep asking me to wait until they're back in stock. When I check the same bike (D4S) with an EU VPN it shows as "in stock" but when I connect with my own IP it's constantly "restocking". I wonder how much longer it'll take them to get set up to ship to the UK... Other websites seem to have the same issue and don't offer shipping to the UK for the time being... Any advice on how to speed things up will be much appreciated, can't wait for this bike! I heard lots of good things about it.

cyclebuddy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 2, 2016
Beds & Norfolk
Do you know any more about this new warehouse?
Hi Jan. Welcome to the site!

No, I don't know any more I'm afraid. This is my understanding:

Fiido used to ship e-bikes in bulk from China into Poland, and distribute throughout the EU (inc UK) from there. Obviously, Fiido pay import duties, levies and taxes when bulk-shipped into Poland. When someone then purchased a bike, onward transit into the UK incurred no further taxes, just delivery. That's how the bikes were priced. From Jan 1, HMRC now requires taxes to be paid at the point of sale i.e. in the UK. So to take a bike from Poland where Fiido had already paid EU taxes, and onward ship into the UK would from Jan 1 also incur paying additional UK taxes.

It means that NO internet sellers can ship from Fiido's Poland warehouse into the UK either - that is Banggood and Gearbest, who Fiido say are/were the only legitimate 3rd party sellers of Fiido ebikes. Of course, they are still able to ship bikes from Poland throughout the EU, which is why your VPN connection shows that.

As I understand it, Fiido's plan is to bulk ship bikes directly from China into the UK for sales made in the UK and avoid paying "double duty". In England, that distribution/processing will be done from Bath. The details given by Fiido are:

UK Service Center, 1 Miles Court, Bath, UK, BA2 4JN. Ph: +07436568327

Too much remains "up in the air", which is why I cancelled my own order and will review once Fiido are operating from their own UK base. I would ask Banggood for a refund (which I've found they are very good about in the past), and wait for Fiido to show on their own website shipping page when UK sales have re-commenced. At the moment, Fiido still show:

"Shipment for UK are not available currently due to BREXIT".

The reason I suggest this is that Fiido ebikes are priced in USD. Fiido adjust their prices on a daily basis to reflect changing currency exchange rates. GBP is generally strengthening as we exit COVID and get back to work, but Fiido's UK stock might cost them more and be priced to reflect that. Banggood or Gearbest may not be able to honour that sale anyway when UK stock becomes available unless Fiido allow it (and that's not clear).

I would go for the refund and wait for Fiido to get up and running in the UK, and then, if UK prices remain competitive, buy directly from them. That'll ensure you also get a full UK warranty, which resellers who aren't Fiido approved don't get.

Sorry it's such a long-winded explanation, but I hope it helps.

Jaxter

Pedelecer
Sep 13, 2020
Looks like i got my Fiido D4s at just the right time, tail end of last summer. I would just like to say as my first ebike, riding about 20 miles a week and it going through one Uk winter, my d4s hasn't give me any trouble at all.
I absolutely love it, the only thing i would like is some suspension, but of course your going up the tiers in price for that. I think if i saw an M1 Pro at a decent price i'd buy it as it has the 2 things id like a little boost to on my d4s, suspension and a little more power, perfect.

Jan b

Just Joined
Mar 13, 2021
Hi Jan. Welcome to the site!

No, I don't know any more I'm afraid. This is my understanding:

Fiido used to ship e-bikes in bulk from China into Poland, and distribute throughout the EU (inc UK) from there. Obviously, Fiido pay import duties, levies and taxes when bulk-shipped into Poland. When someone then purchased a bike, onward transit into the UK incurred no further taxes, just delivery. That's how the bikes were priced. From Jan 1, HMRC now requires taxes to be paid at the point of sale i.e. in the UK. So to take a bike from Poland where Fiido had already paid EU taxes, and onward ship into the UK would from Jan 1 also incur paying additional UK taxes.

It means that NO internet sellers can ship from Fiido's Poland warehouse into the UK either - that is Banggood and Gearbest, who Fiido say are/were the only legitimate 3rd party sellers of Fiido ebikes. Of course, they are still able to ship bikes from Poland throughout the EU, which is why your VPN connection shows that.

As I understand it, Fiido's plan is to bulk ship bikes directly from China into the UK for sales made in the UK and avoid paying "double duty". In England, that distribution/processing will be done from Bath. The details given by Fiido are:

UK Service Center, 1 Miles Court, Bath, UK, BA2 4JN. Ph: +07436568327

Too much remains "up in the air", which is why I cancelled my own order and will review once Fiido are operating from their own UK base. I would ask Banggood for a refund (which I've found they are very good about in the past), and wait for Fiido to show on their own website shipping page when UK sales have re-commenced. At the moment, Fiido still show:

"Shipment for UK are not available currently due to BREXIT".

The reason I suggest this is that Fiido ebikes are priced in USD. Fiido adjust their prices on a daily basis to reflect changing currency exchange rates. GBP is generally strengthening as we exit COVID and get back to work, but Fiido's UK stock might cost them more and be priced to reflect that. Banggood or Gearbest may not be able to honour that sale anyway when UK stock becomes available unless Fiido allow it (and that's not clear).

I would go for the refund and wait for Fiido to get up and running in the UK, and then, if UK prices remain competitive, buy directly from them. That'll ensure you also get a full UK warranty, which resellers who aren't Fiido approved don't get.

Sorry it's such a long-winded explanation, but I hope it helps.
Hi @cyclebuddy , thanks so much for all the really detailed info, I really appreciate this. Banggood haven't been very good at explaining what's going on and I was getting different information from them every time I contacted but this definitely makes sense. I'd ordered a bike previously (just before New year's) which got turned back at the border due to the Covid restrictions and now this, just bad luck I guess. I will ask for a refund and will reorder when they're up and running here, sounds like it might take a while... Thanks again & enjoy your weekend. Jan