If you happen to hear a chainsaw when you are out on your bike...

John doncaster dn6

Pedelecer
Sep 9, 2018
That guy is a complete fool. I genuinely believe a lengthy prison sentence should be served.

2 seconds away from manslaughter.

I'm sure they would have been full of remorse and lessons learned etc.

No cordon or consideration for other people's lives.

wheeler

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 4, 2016
Scotland
There's no way that's a qualified arborist. No professional would attempt a straight fell onto an open road.

It looks like he was trying to put the tree down along the footway to the left, there is a rope on the tree running down and left and he's made the notch facing left. Going by the tree's lean it was never going to go in that direction.

The uncontrolled way it came down would indicate that either the hinge broke or he cut through it.

Utter stupidity and incompetence and he deserves prosecution to the furthest extent of the law.

wheeler

GLJoe

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 21, 2017
UK
It's a good job that she was wearing a helmet. :oops:
Indeed.
If the rider had NOT been wearing one, then the increased perception of potential danger would probably have caused them to be riding in a generally slower manner, not miss the falling tree, and they would then have been crushed to a pulp.
Conclusive evidence that using a helmet is far safer than not wearing one ....

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Indeed.
If the rider had NOT been wearing one, then the increased perception of potential danger would probably have caused them to be riding in a generally slower manner, not miss the falling tree, and they would then have been crushed to a pulp.
Conclusive evidence that using a helmet is far safer than not wearing one ....
Not so, riding more slowly with far greater awareness of the surrounding environment, she'd have time to perceive the impending danger and stop to watch the tree fall.

Much safer then the false idea that a helmet might protect against falling two ton tree trunks, encouraging riding headlong at speed into dangerous situations.

• Agree
Reactions: LeighPing

Fat Rat

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 7, 2018
UK
Not so, riding more slowly with far greater awareness of the surrounding environment, she'd have time to perceive the impending danger and stop to watch the tree fall.

Much safer then the false idea that a helmet might protect against falling two ton tree trunks, encouraging riding headlong at speed into dangerous situations.
It was a joke lol

She could have worn full armour and that wouldn’t have massively helped

But as for riding with more awareness of your surroundings really
You couldn’t of predicted that at all

I’m all for awareness while getting about in any form but please don’t tell me if put in the very same position you would have predicted that chain of events and stopped to watch the tree fall before it happened
Unless of course you can predict the future .

• Agree
Reactions: Eagle

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I’m all for awareness while getting about in any form but please don’t tell me if put in the very same position you would have predicted that chain of events and stopped to watch the tree fall before it happened
I know it was a joke and responded likewise.

However, that could easily have been seen as dodgy when ambling along at a moderate speed, given how much noise the guy was making with the chainsaw and the trunk visibly leaning outwards.

Cutting any large tree trunk at the side of an open road is about as obviously dangerous as any act can be and at the very least I'd have been right over to the far side of the road and being cautious.

Eagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 31, 2012

Who claimed that a cycle helmet would offer protection against a falling 2 ton tree trunk?

I suppose if the cyclist had decided to walk instead, then he/she would have had an even greater time to carry out a full risk assessment and act accordingly.

Paul smith

Pedelecer
Mar 26, 2016
If the geezer hadn,t wasted 20-30 seconds putting the lid on he/she would of ridden past none the wiser..if he/she had decided to pull her/his socks up an wasted one more second he/she woulda been squished..all a matter of timeing..wrong place..wrong time...also don,t leave arseholes in charge of chainsaws.

• Agree
Reactions: LeighPing

Benjahmin

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 10, 2014
West Wales
It just goes to show that all the certificates of competency, and inspections of such, in the world will never stop a dipstick being a dipstick. 'Cos it's a state of mind and heart.
A solo man working without even traffic lights or lookouts on an obviously busy road? Oh but he had the keep right sign so he'd obviously done his risk assesment - right?
The pressure to get the job done at a price is a terrible thing. As an electrician I see the results of this all the time.

• Agree
Reactions: flecc and LeighPing

jeff St.Clair

Pedelecer
Sep 5, 2018
Crete
Yeah what I don't get is , it was clearly a rotten tree see the cloud of wood dust as it hit the deck , so very little useful timber , he went up the tree to de-limb it, so why not as you climb down take off a metre at a time until you are left with the stumpy trunk of three or four metres then take that down ...much safer that's how we did it when working next to a road .....

• Agree
Reactions: flecc and LeighPing