Illegal ebike crackdown Coventry

I893469365902345609348566

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 20, 2021
Yep.

Real sad is it not, a single 'reponsible (?) adult' sending a message to a school of children that its OK to use eScooters for transporting children.
I often see kids being transported on escooters. This fat mum wouldn't be as fat if she walked her kid to and from school.

• Dislike
Reactions: joelectric

StuartsProjects

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 9, 2021
If the Police really were interested in getting the message across about illegal eScooters then they could just turn up outside a school in the morning\afternoon and confiscate any illegal eScooters.

I893469365902345609348566

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 20, 2021
If the Police really were interested in getting the message across about illegal eScooters then they could just turn up outside a school in the morning\afternoon and confiscate any illegal eScooters.
PTAs wouldn't like that? I think it's too late and they're here to stay.

Reactions: FastFreddy2

Bonzo Banana

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2019
The procedure is that the Police of other authority apply to the magistrates for the order to crush, so the owner has plenty of opportunity to argue against it.

In practice owners rarely oppose, often because the vehicle cannot be type approved and therefore cannot be made legal.
I must admit I've followed news stories where ebikes/e-motorcycles have been confiscated and crushed and from what I've seen so far all have been e-motorcycles. Maybe others know of exceptions to this. As the department for transport statement has said featured on this site ebike kits do not have to go through the type approval process but need to meet the same spec. I remember the early legal ebikes which are still legal to ride today some of those were super heavy and over-built using large hub motors and nicad or nimh battery cells. I feel if the police start clamping down more severely under political or consumer pressure we could see the wrong ebikes being crushed but we shall see. I see so many car drivers who have one to two tonnes of metal around them act irresponsibly so often. So many car owners refuse to signal their intentions and overtake. They kill such huge numbers of people plus have victims with life changing injuries.

I feel a lot of ebike safety issues would be improved just by limiting bicycles and ebikes to something like a 8 mph speed when passing pedestrians on shared paths and areas and this would mean pedestrians would probably be far less upset when bikes are being ridden in areas where bikes aren't officially allowed. More importantly this would be easy to police with video evidence. I've been on a shared path walking and an unpowered ebike came past me at about 25-30mph. The ebike was unpowered I think (silent) and vigorously pedalled but was coming downhill so had very good speed and likely a long braking distance on a fairly narrow path. Completely irresponsible behaviour in my opinion.

jimriley

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 17, 2020
Where I live there is a cycle path in pedestrian area in city center. One can't ride there because pedestrians infiltrate from all directions. Somehow nobody orders them to stop and dismount their shoes. It is just another case of discrimination and unequal treatment ;)

I go to city center maybe once or twice per year. Just like you said, I buy things online and city I live in is literally the ugliest city I have seen.
The correct response to cyclepathic pedestrian meanderers should be "On yer Bike Pal!"

• :D
Reactions: Az.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I feel a lot of ebike safety issues would be improved just by limiting bicycles and ebikes to something like a 8 mph speed when passing pedestrians on shared paths and areas and this would mean pedestrians would probably be far less upset when bikes are being ridden in areas where bikes aren't officially allowed.
The Japanese have this clearly laid down in law. Cyclist can ride on pedestrian facilities and in some congested city areas have to by law. But when doing this the speed limit for them is 10kph, which is 6.25 mph. In practice their police are happy with up to 12kph (8mph) then.

Reactions: FastFreddy2

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
As he was building that, I was thinking that it was wheelying before anybody sat on it, then I was wondering how he's going to improve the brakes from that useless rod that rubs on one wheel, then I was wondering whether there was somebody he hates enough to put on it, then I saw the poor little kid trying to tame his bucking bronco. The only thing I don't get is why he showed it in a YouTube video.

• Agree
Reactions: Woosh

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
How to 1500W Electric Go kart Extreme Late Term Abortion at Home
I can recommend this book from Amazon. I've read it several times over the years and learnt many of my scientific skills from it. The section on home cloning to get more friends is particularly useful, and it's a lot simpler than you think. All you need to start it off is a some cubes of diced pork and a few other simple ingredients.

Scorpio

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 13, 2020
Portugal Algarve (temporary)
They talking about their enforcement in a pedestrian area. Remember, it's illegal to ride a bike in such an area. They seem to be quite kind if they let people ride bikes until ordered to dismount.

I was riding my bike in Southend pedestrian zone at walking speed in the middle. I thought it would be easier and safer than pushing it, but a policemen came running to me shouting for me to get off and walk. I could understand if if there were people around but the place was deserted. There are signs up saying that cyclists should dismount, but I thought nobody would care if they saw that I was going very slow and there was nobody about but I was wrong. I explained to the policeman that there was more chance of hitting a pedestrian when pushing the bike than riding it, which I could see that he agreed with; however, he was enforcing the rules.
I experienced similar "over enthusiastic" policing when I was riding at walking pace though a shopping street in North Shields (nr Sunderland).
It was just before 4pm on a cold, damp, dark Sunday in February with less than 10 pedestrians in the whole town.

I visited the police station afterwards to explain why - in my view - there was no need for the officers to stop me.
The desk sergeant confirmed to offices could have given me a ticket, and that I should be grateful that they had decided to offer advice instead.
Meanwhile I regularly see folk on bikes (delivery types on E-bikes, kids on E-scooters, yooths cycling furiously though the crowds in summer who are not stopped.

It's on my personal top-5 list of "Worst experiences I had when dealing with the Police"

chris_n

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 29, 2016
Niedeau, Austria
PTAs wouldn't like that? I think it's too late and they're here to stay.

Isn't that what they said about drugs 20 or 30 years ago, look where that has got us now. Innocent people being caught in the crossfire having a Christmas drink or killed because her mother heard a noise outside and looked to see what it was. Carry on like that with vehicles and there will be more illegal vehicles than legal very soon, it's already starting to get that way in certain areas ot some towns / cities.

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
Isn't that what they said about drugs 20 or 30 years ago, look where that has got us now. Innocent people being caught in the crossfire having a Christmas drink or killed because her mother heard a noise outside and looked to see what it was. Carry on like that with vehicles and there will be more illegal vehicles than legal very soon, it's already starting to get that way in certain areas ot some towns / cities.
During the riots in France last week, they burnt all the scooters - just saying.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
During the riots in France last week, they burnt all the scooters - just saying.
the frogs have been in riot mode since that twat put up the pension age and no debate or vote prices sky rocketing mass excess deaths from the stuff they put in the water there should be mass celebrations of joy and fire power :p

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
I was in Paris last week, just after the riots. Driving through Nanterre where it started. The danger is less the e-scooters, it's mainly the motorbikes. They squeeze themselves between cars with literally zero gap. It's only because you drive at 4mph in the centre of Paris that you avoid accidents.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
I was in Paris last week, just after the riots. Driving through Nanterre where it started. The danger is less the e-scooters, it's mainly the motorbikes. They squeeze themselves between cars with literally zero gap. It's only because you drive at 4mph in the centre of Paris that you avoid accidents.
do you go to germany much ?

pedalfettal

Pedelecer
Jan 3, 2022
I often see kids being transported on escooters. This fat mum wouldn't be as fat if she walked her kid to and from school.
I think escooters are great - they should be legalised. A great advantage is that you can scoot along whilst having a fag and be sociable all at the same time.

And I don't know why you are making a personal comment on someone else's weight, consider that they might be larger if they drove a motor vehicle instead.

Reactions: chris667

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015