Importing bikes from Europe after a no deal Brexit

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
I don't think anything will change until 2023.
No deal brexit still compatible with negotiated transition.
then there is the 2022 general election.
After that, maybe things will change.
Bikes made in the UK may be subject to 6% third country tariff if exported to the EU.

Kudoscycles

Official Trade Member
Apr 15, 2011
www.kudoscycles.com
Just guessing.....initially,we would work on WTO tariffs,from memory that is 14%....we could buy from China on same tariff.
But it won’t be long before the EU think of us as a satellite of China and put all anti dumping duties China to EU onto U.K. to EU trade....it would be illogical to do otherwise,because we would become the weak link in the EU protectionist wall.
The EU are not going to allow us to sell into the EU at 14%,when EU importers from China are paying 84%.
KudosDave

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Wisper Bikes

mike killay

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 17, 2011
Just guessing.....initially,we would work on WTO tariffs,from memory that is 14%....we could buy from China on same tariff.
But it won’t be long before the EU think of us as a satellite of China and put all anti dumping duties China to EU onto U.K. to EU trade....it would be illogical to do otherwise,because we would become the weak link in the EU protectionist wall.
The EU are not going to allow us to sell into the EU at 14%,when EU importers from China are paying 84%.
KudosDave
Unless there is an open border with the RoI

• :D
Reactions: flecc

Kudoscycles

Official Trade Member
Apr 15, 2011
www.kudoscycles.com
Unless there is an open border with the RoI
The only way that there will be an open border in Ireland is if we agree to harmonise tariffs and duties with the EU,which I assume is what the common rule book is all about.
E-bikes going into either the north or the south will be subject to the same anti dumping duties....if not the EU will have to have a trade border between the north and south,which nobody wants.
KudosDave

• Agree

gray198

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 4, 2012
KudosDave
I may be totally wrong in my assumptions here,please correct me if i'm wrong. Would we not reciprocate and slap the same tariffs on, say Bosch bikes etc.?

Crockers

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 19, 2014
I may be totally wrong in my assumptions here,please correct me if i'm wrong. Would we not reciprocate and slap the same tariffs on, say Bosch bikes etc.?
Don't think they would care as we are a small player in the global scheme of things.

• Agree
Reactions: Kudoscycles

Kudoscycles

Official Trade Member
Apr 15, 2011
www.kudoscycles.com
Yes we could,but the number of German bikes into the UK,across all suppliers I bet it is less than 5000 units.
Dont forget there is also 54% anti dumping duty on normal bikes...imagine what that would do to the price of a Pinarello imported into the UK.
But we voted for brexit,now we have to pay for it.!!!
KudosDave

gray198

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 4, 2012
No-deal Brexit: EU warns its citizens to prepare for the worst
Bloc issues 16-page document and leaves open possibility of visa requirement for Britons
https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2018/jul/19/no-deal-brexit-eu-warns-citizens-prepare-for-worst
personally I would not be surprised if this outcome was what the EU have wanted all along to try and panic us at the last minute into accepting a bad deal rather than no deal. I hope our politicians are not gullible enough to fall for that, but then again they may be in on it

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
personally I would not be surprised if this outcome was what the EU have wanted all along to try and panic us at the last minute into accepting a bad deal rather than no deal. I hope our politicians are not gullible enough to fall for that, but then again they may be in on it
I strongly suspect the EU actually wanted us not to trigger A50.

• Agree
Reactions: Wicky

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
The EU don't want anything. You voted to leave it is you who wants things...

• Agree

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Personally I was suprised Theresa May was still Prime Minister at 20.22 last night.
I'm surprised she's still PM at 20.22 every night :D
In fact she's probably in a very safe position. Boris Johnson is very concerned not to get her out now and the same goes for other contenders. None of them are ready and well placed enough at present, nor do they want to inherit the Brexit mess as it stands.

I think she's cast iron until March next year, and if surviving that transitional phase, quite possibly until the run up to the 2022 election. Then she'll definitely be ditched.

• Agree
Reactions: mike killay

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
of course we'd charge them the same, 6% though, 14% are for push bikes.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
the EU would lose just as much as we would in that scenario - apparently about 200 billions a year. It's lose-lose, I reckon Raab will do a far better job than lazy DD.