Help! Improve Bbshd range ASAP

Abzy

Pedelecer
Mar 16, 2021
Hi i currently bought a bbshd 1000w with 52V20AH battery and on the dpc18 display it says on pedal assist 1 it will only give me 21 miles? Is there any way I could up make the battery last more longer than 21 miles also if I get the bbshd programming cable would that help to improve the range of miles or would it still stay the same? Let me know thanks

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
The PAS level settings 1 to 9 of the DPC18 display are set at the controller, but can be programmed so that you know exactly what amps you are using at what level. Increasing range would be about lowering the PAS level, current limit, or getting a bigger battery. I use very high assistance levels on my bbs01b for instance, but if I want more than 45-ish miles from my 36V 19.2Ah battery, I know that selecting level 4 uses 40% of 15A for more miles. Your Bafang HD programming screens would probably be different, but here's mine before I changed them slightly - there's also an Android app by the way which I haven't tried but others have reported good feedback about, so you don't have to use a PC (unless your phone or tablet is very old, and sometimes PCs can be too old). Programming isn't without risk, but I haven't seen that anyone here has "Bricked" their Bafang BBSXX by reprogramming. Higher pedalling cadence uses less battery power.

Last edited:

trevor brooker

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 11, 2018
maidstone
Hi i currently bought a bbshd 1000w with 52V20AH battery and on the dpc18 display it says on pedal assist 1 it will only give me 21 miles? Is there any way I could up make the battery last more longer than 21 miles also if I get the bbshd programming cable would that help to improve the range of miles or would it still stay the same? Let me know thanks
Search this site for BBS & cables & you will find lots of posts that will help.
Getting increased range is easy if you change the controller to work with your bike & your riding style, as the factory settings are just generic. I was amazed at the difference when I did mine, but it took several changes to get it right.

I found that I did not need all those amps at high speed as most of the work was being done by my legs, but having the motor kick in on slight inclines to maintain my speed makes all the difference.

I instead used higher amps at low speeds for hill climbs, which is when I most want the help.

matthewslack

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2021
If that is a static range estimate, before you ride, then I would want to know how the controller gets that number.

Have you configured the Ah of the battery into the controller? If not, it does not know, and it may be defaulting to it's own internal assumption of rather fewer Ah.

I would go ride 20.9 miles and see how much battery is left. Start fully charged, and after riding and turning off, measure battery voltage. That will give a rough idea of battery remaining.