Impulse 1.0 drive feels a bit rough and grainy going up hill

lordvincent

Pedelecer
Jan 23, 2015
Along the flat it's very smooth but when going up hill, particularly a steep hill, there is a definite rough 'grainy' feel from the cranks. It is not accompanied by a horrible noise - just the normal noise but louder and more noticeable since the motor is working harder.

I'm not sure when it started. It might have been when the firmware was updated last summer, but I think it has become more noticeable. Or maybe I am thinking about it now since the warranty period is coming to an end in about a month. In any case, I wanted to establish whether this is normal operation or a fault of some kind.

Any other impulse 1.0 users experience something similar?

I have contacted 50cycles but they do not answer their phones anymore. Instead, the call is answered by a service who take your name and number and promise a call back..then no one calls back. The live chat is sales-oriented and manned by people who are not able to answer questions of a technical nature. This is a shame as 50cycles used to offer great after sales service and support.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 4366

Have you oiled your chain recently? If not, it might be time.

lordvincent

Pedelecer
Jan 23, 2015
I have oiled the chain recently, but the grainy feel is not present when the power is off, which makes me think it's related to the motor.

D

Deleted member 4366

With the motor on, there's a lot more tension in the chain. How many miles has the present chain done?

JohnCade

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 16, 2014
I replaced my chain at 1500 miles on my Impulse 1. I live in a hilly area and it was worn by then. I’ve always believed in replacing chains in good time and saving on more expensive cassettes and sprockets before the chain wear does them in too.

Reactions: VictoryV

lordvincent

Pedelecer
Jan 23, 2015
Chain ordered. When the chain and hub puller arrive I will replace chain and check sprockets and motor mounting bolts..and see what happens.

SteveRuss

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 12, 2015
Bristol, Uk
Chain ordered. When the chain and hub puller arrive I will replace chain and check sprockets and motor mounting bolts..and see what happens.
If you don't know how to ascertain whether your front and rear sprockets are worn, then I highly recommend getting them checked and replacing as need be, before fitting the chain. They're not that expensive from 50Cycles.

Tim

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 1, 2006
London
I have contacted 50cycles but they do not answer their phones anymore. Instead, the call is answered by a service who take your name and number and promise a call back..then no one calls back. The live chat is sales-oriented and manned by people who are not able to answer questions of a technical nature. This is a shame as 50cycles used to offer great after sales service and support.
Hello, we still do! But I take on board what you're saying about the live chat - some technical things most of the operators can handle, but not everything.

However, it seems our chat software provide now offers an upgrade that helps direct after sales/technical enquiries to the right group of people, so that's something we can improve in the very near future.