In Danger of going over to Dark Side

Cabo

Pedelecer
Sep 6, 2012
Belfast
Bought a Marin Larkspur from a friend of mine. He only used it a few times. The 'hairs' are still on the tyres.
Love the 24 gears - wish there were 30.
12kg. for £100.
Have done 100 miles so far - mostly on fairly flat with 27 miles the best ride. Must admit the first few runs left me gasping - missed that wee on/off button.

Reactions: jerrysimon

jerrysimon

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 27, 2009
Cambridge, UK
Looks like you got a good deal there.

I too picked up another non converted bike recently :)

I wanted a weekend town bike to go into town with my wife on a her Pashley. These old handbuilt 531 frames can be picked up for a song and in my view ride more comfortably than many newer bikes that I tried in my local bike shops. I am in the process of building a rear wheel with a three speed sturmey archer AW hub in it. Perfect for flat Cambridge. Obviously those drops are going (passed those days years ago) being replaced with a taller stem and flat bars. The bike as shown weighs around 10.5kg. I may try a small Keyde motor on the front just for a bit of fun.

More details later.

Jerry

Attachments

Last edited:

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
Looks like you got a good deal there.

I too picked up another non converted bike recently :)

Initially I wanted a weekend town bike to go into town with my wife on a her Pashley. These old handbuilt 531 frames and be picked up for a song and in my view ride more comfortably than many newer bikes that I tried in lmy ocal bike shops. I am in the process of building a rear wheel with a three speed sturmey archer AW hub in it. Perfect for flat Cambridge. Obviously those drops are going (passed those days years ago) being replaced with a taller stem and flat bars. The bike as shown weighs around 10.5kg. I may try a small Keyde motor on the front just for a bit of fun.
Jerry
My brother had something similar when we were kids.

I think his was badged just as an "Eagle".

Very sound bikes, as you know.

We all had what we called in those days "racers".

The Eagle was the nicest and fastest, leading to sibling squabbles over who could ride it.

Jonah

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 23, 2010
EX38
I must say the Marin Larkspur was my favourite hybrid when I was looking for a bike 4 or 5 years ago. I'd certainly buy one at that price, you got a bargain.

Cabo

Pedelecer
Sep 6, 2012
Belfast
Must admit very comfy and easy to cycle. Did a 35 mile cycle today over a fairly hilly route.
Had thought of adding a motor but enjoy it too much as is.

Reactions: D C