In my 60s and not ridden for decades

Born to be mild

Finding my (electric) wheels
Oct 2, 2021
I'd like to buy an electric bike. My budget is small - definitely below £1000, preferably less than around £700. I'm looking at step-thru, probably small wheeled ones, with gears, and that's as far as I've got. I bought a bike on ebay - a Juicy Sport. It's a lovely bike, but my feet didn't touch the ground and it was way too heavy for me - I fell off when I tried it. I've sold it for the same price I paid, and now have a bit more idea of what won't work for me! I'm 5'4".

It's for going maybe 5 miles to the shops, mostly not hilly. I hope I'll ride it for leisure too, but again probably no more than a couple of hours maximum.

Any suggestions please?

Born to be mild

Oct 2, 2021
I can't justify that amount of money, and would struggle to find it.

Basis and Dalingridge folding bikes from Decathlon both look interesting. I think they're new, as I can't find any reviews for them.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I can't justify that amount of money, and would struggle to find it.

Basis and Dalingridge folding bikes from Decathlon both look interesting. I think they're new, as I can't find any reviews for them.
There's a world of difference, Chinese buy ins, often with quickly invented brand names, which may only be briefly on the market, hence no reviews. They have small capacity 24 volt systems, limited performance and short range.

The Woosh bikes I linked to are 36 volt, much higher capacity and performance and at the bottom of the price market for good pedelecs from a reliable and lasting source. It's a market that extends to over £3000 for the best small e-bikes and folders.

Swordfishtrombone

Sep 7, 2021
There's a world of difference, Chinese buy ins, often with quickly invented brand names, which may only be briefly on the market, hence no reviews. They have small capacity 24 volt systems, limited performance and short range.

The Woosh bikes I linked to are 36 volt, much higher capacity and performance and at the bottom of the price market for good pedelecs from a reliable and lasting source. It's a market that extends to over £3000 for the best small e-bikes and folders.
I'm new to ebikes but everything I've read about Woosh has been positive. Worth the extra money if you can. If not, I think there are couple of Wisper 806,s for sale on Gumtree. Where are you based? If they are still available I reckon you'd get one for your price range.

Born to be mild

Oct 2, 2021
I'm new to ebikes but everything I've read about Woosh has been positive. Worth the extra money if you can. If not, I think there are couple of Wisper 806,s for sale on Gumtree. Where are you based? If they are still available I reckon you'd get one for your price range.
I'm in Shropshire.

Born to be mild

Oct 2, 2021
I've found a Wisper 705SE about an hour away from me. 24" wheels - as a complete novice, does this sound okay for someone 5'4", 162cm? It's on ebay so might go out of my price range, but I'm keeping an eye on it.

Swordfishtrombone

Sep 7, 2021
I've found a Wisper 705SE about an hour away from me. 24" wheels - as a complete novice, does this sound okay for someone 5'4", 162cm? It's on ebay so might go out of my price range, but I'm keeping an eye on it.
My advice would be ask the seller for a test ride. And check if they have the original receipt - not a deal breaker, but good to know exactly how old it is. Bike batteries do deteriorate over time so get the newest bike you can find / afford. You could also call Wisper and ask them for a bit of advice. They are very helpful.

Reactions: Born to be mild

Swordfishtrombone

Sep 7, 2021
My advice would be ask the seller for a test ride. And check if they have the original receipt - not a deal breaker, but good to know exactly how old it is. Bike batteries do deteriorate over time so get the newest bike you can find / afford. You could also call Wisper and ask them for a bit of advice. They are very helpful.
Take your time and you'll find a good one. If you can get one with one of their larger batteries, even better.

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
I bought a second hand bike on Gumtree for £100 and added a Bafang BBS01b kit for £709, but the same kit is £819 now:

The result is marvellous, I couldn't do without it. Only took a couple of hours to convert the old bike. I've spent hundreds on it since with accessories for myself and the bike, but I could have done without nearly all of the extra bells and whistles.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
All ebikes are fairly heavy but are a bit easier to handle with the battery removed, for less then £700 there is only one bike that will be pretty damn good and that is the kudo safari. For that money one has to make sacrifices and the weight is the main one with this bike, it does have the heavier lifepo4 battery but that battery should manage 2000 cycles.

Swordfishtrombone

Sep 7, 2021
All ebikes are fairly heavy but are a bit easier to handle with the battery removed, for less then £700 there is only one bike that will be pretty damn good and that is the kudo safari. For that money one has to make sacrifices and the weight is the main one with this bike, it does have the heavier lifepo4 battery but that battery should manage 2000 cycles.
Good call! These look like terrific value. I'd not come across them before. Thanks for the tip.

Stanebike

Pedelecer
Jan 5, 2020
Just noticed there is a Woosh Rambletta secondhand in the For Sale section of this forum. At £500 it might be just what you’re looking for. It’s in Sheffield but being a folder you could even collect it by train. Don’t know the seller but may be worth checking out.

shed

Pedelecer
Mar 6, 2021
What about having a look at the Fiido D4S 20" wheel folder at around £700 on Amazon (or better the Fiido D11 although thats just under the £1000).

Also there is the Himo Z20 folder at around £800. My neighbours (both in their 60s) bought a couple and have been very pleased with them and have put a far few miles on them. Seem pretty well specced for the money

KILLERDOG

Pedelecer
Aug 21, 2021
The problem in buying a cheap ebike is that they dont last. Always things break on them. Buy one about £1500, you can always sell it and get your money back if needed. Cheap ebikes break too easily.

• Disagree
Reactions: Nealh