independent e bike technician

falmouthtony

Esteemed Pedelecer
Replacing the bearing is a VERY simple job that any competent bike shop should be able to do. I know a good number of eBike riders who do it themselves to save bothering the shop. Its just a bearing.

Is that a simple enough answer?

As has been said above very clearly, the only reason shops don't do it when its within warranty, is because its covered by warranty and opening them up voids the warranty. Once the warranty is out anyway, its an easy job that can be done by anyone.
Well, I guess I must be a bit of a hopeless case not being competent enough to repair a motor that I haven't a clue about, which needs special tools I don't have, and bearings that many posts on this forum indicate are quite difficult to source.

However, rather than feel guilty about spending my money on a hobby I enjoy, without having the knowledge to sort Bosch Ebike specific problems out myself, I shall take comfort in the knowledge that replacement bearings my Bosch engine will be stocked and competently replaced by my Bosch trained LBS.

Or even by almost anyone ... except me.

Benjahmin

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 10, 2014
West Wales
Just by way of comparison;

I have an Ezee hub. About 18 months ago the bearing in the motor casing starting grinding horribly, out of warrenty. Spoke to Cyclezee, he sent me a motor casing laced into a 700 rim for the princely sum of £26. It arrived the next day, I stripped down the motor and replaced the case and I still got to go on holiday. Wonderful service.

Point here though is that I am not a bike mechanic. I am, however, a pretty handy bloke with a van full of tools. I fixed it myself. Which, to me, is what a bike should be. A piece of sturdy, basic technology capable of being kept going by an owner with a bit of everyday noddle power. There are of course 'black box' items, such as the controller. That goes wrong, you buy a new one - but that's not a £600 job!

The most important thing about a bike is that it's there to ride. It's bloody useless otherwise.
Guess I'm just a Casio watch kinda guy.

D

Deleted member 4366

As more and more motors go out of warranty, more and more "how to" videos
will appear on youtube.
Good point. I've repaired many very complicated devices by following Youtube video guides. Luckily, there's lots of people that like to share what they did to sort out their own problems, but you won't get those videos until those people have the problems to sort out.

BazP

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 8, 2017
Sheffield
If you think that a bearing has gone too early then get a report saying this from an engineer or a bike shop and tell Bosch that it is unfit for use and you either want it fixing for free or you will take them to the small claims court.
Actually, your contract is with the supplier so let them deal with Bosch.

If you think that a bearing has gone too early then get a report saying this from an engineer or a bike shop and tell Bosch that it is unfit for use and you either want it fixing for free or you will take them to the small claims court.
Actually, your contract is with the supplier so let them deal with Bosch.
Bosch are replacing them no question asked, so there really is nothing to worry about if this does happen to you. You certainly don't need to go to an "engineer", to get a statement, or threaten court, being nice gets you a lot further in this industry.

But yes, your correct. Your contract is with the shop... Bosch won't deal with the public.

Wander

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 8, 2013
Bosch are replacing them no question asked, so there really is nothing to worry about if this does happen to you. You certainly don't need to go to an "engineer", to get a statement, or threaten court, being nice gets you a lot further in this industry.

But yes, your correct. Your contract is with the shop... Bosch won't deal with the public.
I've clashed with Col on here before & often don't agree with him but on this occasion he's 100% correct.

Don't go in all guns blazing, I know my rights, court, blah de blah. It will generally get you much further being nice. These are real people you are dealing with & many bike shops struggle to make a living. Approaching with a pack of biscuits, a few cans or a friendly approach is much more likely to achieve the desired outcome, not sour relationships & burn bridges for that time in the future when you 'need a favour'.

• Agree
Reactions: EddiePJ and flecc

BazP

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 8, 2017
Sheffield

The OP seemed to be at a sort of impasse as to what to do re: failed bearings so my suggestion was as a last resort, if all else fails. This would certainly not be my first port of call.
If it came to this, I would do the job myself and never deal with the offending company again.

footpump

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 19, 2014
I spoke to a dealer who had just been on the bosch training course there were 40 people doing the course, only one person could be described as inderpendant the rest lbs, or ebike shops.
it appears the majority of time was spent on the software side of things, rather less on moter removal etc

I spoke to a dealer who had just been on the bosch training course there were 40 people doing the course, only one person could be described as inderpendant the rest lbs, or ebike shops.
it appears the majority of time was spent on the software side of things, rather less on moter removal etc
I've been on a large number of these courses, and they are all slightly different depending on the audience, as it can be a mix between shop owners, warranty guys, sales guys, mechanics etc etc.

and yes the software side of things does take more time than taking off a motor, because taking of a motor isn't hard. It's only basically 3 bolts and a couple of wires that need unplugging.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
so these guys are taught how to remove the three bolts?
how much are they charged to attend?

so these guys are taught how to remove the three bolts?
how much are they charged to attend?
Yup, its £600.00 and takes about 30 seconds to teach bike shop mechanics which end of the allen key they need to use. They all have a coffee and then go home with their certificate.

I'm amazed so many bike shops keep doing it.

* Just in case the sarcasm is missed by Woosh.... the only part of that that is true, is that there is usually coffee consumed, and they do get a certificate for the workshop wall.

Reactions: Wisper Bikes

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
I used to attend Intel IPI conferences - death by powerpoints we called them.
We have to attend to keep our accreditation but only go for the gossip and free meals.

I used to attend Intel IPI conferences - death by powerpoints we called them.
We have to attend to keep our accreditation but only go for the gossip and free meals.
Well there is no powerpoint involved in the Bosch training that I've been on.

There is a 210 page eBike manual given to the attendees that the course helps explain.

Its very useful, and I've had 20+ years working in the bike trade and I still make the effort to attend every year to find out what's new about the motors, so top tips for working with them.

Reactions: Woosh

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
D

Deleted member 4366

That's an interesting document. Clearly, Bosch must have had a lot to do with its preparation. I think they're barking up the wrong tree. Shimano are taking over more of their market share than Bafang, or are the proposed measures aimed at restricting Chinese made bikes with Shimano motors.