Info needed - how smart is this charger?

PaulC

Pedelecer
Sep 12, 2007
Info needed from IZip / Currie owners - SLA charger info?

Hi,
I have a 24V Currie charger for the 2x12V=24v SLA batteries on my electric bike. Its model number is 3A-501DA24.
It has 1 green LED. When the charger is actively charging this LED flashes green; when the battery is fully charged, the LED shows a solid green light.

Would someone be able to tell me what the charging behaviour of this charger is from the IZiP / Currie ProDrive manual?
I am hoping that it is the following:
LED flashing - charger has a high output voltage that results in an intensive charge current into the batteries.
LED solid light - charger has recognised the batteries are charged and dropped its output voltage down to a trickle or float voltage.

I am hoping to avoid doing an experiment where I measure the voltages over the charging cycle myself as I don't have a data logger and would have to do this by manual measurements.
Thanks
Paul
New Zealand

Last edited:

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I don't know that particular charger Paul, but the pattern you describe is a normal behaviour on many charger designs, flashing while charging, stationary light when charged, since the LED also performs the function of charger "on" indicator.

Posting this will jump your query to the top again where hopefully a current Currie user will see it and confirm.

PaulC

Pedelecer
Sep 12, 2007
Flecc,
thanks for the reply. I think I'll be there doing measurements judging by the lack of replies. Oh well, them's the breaks.
Paul