Inner tube for a rim with a triangular cross-section

The Maestro

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2008
Hi,

I've got a wheel rim that rather than being 'flat' where the spokes connect to it has a triangular cross section. This means that when you push the inflation value through from the inside of the rim it has to reach a lot further.

At first I put in a 700x38c with a Presta valve and the end of the presta would not even reach the outside of the rim so I had to discard that idea and decided that it must only take the longer and wider car type valves. I've got one of those in at the moment and it does emerge by about a centimeter or so. The problem is that my bike pump will not grip it because there is not enough length for it to get hold of. I managed to inflate it a bit with a car foot pump which gripped it a bit better.

The only solution seems to be an inner tube with an extra long car type valve, does anyone know if these exist?

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
In Presta valves yes, here's a link for a suitable one:

SJS

I'm sure they exist for Schrader as well, but not apparent anywhere at the moment.

The Maestro

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2008
In Presta valves yes, here's a link for a suitable one:

SJS

I'm sure they exist for Schrader as well, but not apparent anywhere at the moment.
Thanks, I'll check that out. Can you see what I mean here? The end doesn't protrude out enough to get a pump over it properly. Is this the reason the longer presta valves exist or is the rim in the picture strange? I don't think even those extra long ones look long enough.

http://www.simplegift.co.uk/images/alien2.jpg

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
The deep V section rims are popular on some race bikes and are the reason for those long Presta valves, but I can't say for any particular rim depth.

60 mm / nearly 2.5" should cope with quite a deep V, but I can't tell from your link what the internal depth is of course.