Insurance advice wanted

John F

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 3, 2013
I'm thinking of a new ebike but my Home Insurance provider isn't interested. Bike will probably be around £1,200 ish.

Advice on good and cheap ebike insurers please!

Michael Price

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2018
shop around for different insurance - I was with tesco and they just refused any type of ebike - switched to Direct Line and they are fine with it as long as the ebike is properly secured

Still - I have insured it with Yellow Jersey as well to cover for anything outside the house - plus 3rd party claims etc etc

Michael Price

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2018
Direct Line web site doesn't do bikes?!
Not as far as I can see - if you want bike insurance that covers 3rd party and theft outside the house then you seem to have to get something specific - especially with an ebike which tends to be valuable

jarob10

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 22, 2017
Uk
Lv= just paid out on an ebike theft claim. They paid out within a few days - highly recommend

Reactions: MikeS

MikeS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 29, 2018
Lv= just paid out on an ebike theft claim. They paid out within a few days - highly recommend
That's good to know. I too asked LV whether they covered the bike and they said yes. I don't think they covered 3rd part liability though so I joined the British cycling thing which covers you included in your membership.
Mike

John F

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 3, 2013
All I really want is theft insurance. Cheapest I've found so far is Eversure at £52. Others tend to be £70 to over £100!

Laser Man

Pedelecer
Jul 1, 2018
Michelmersh SO51
Halifax home insurance with the pedal cycle extension covers theft at home, when out and also public liability.
Adding two Woosh converted bikes to the policy only increased the premium by a few pounds per year.
Note that they won't touch an ebike if it isn't UK legal.

Reactions: Michael Price

John F

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 3, 2013
It's seperate insurance I want not added to home insurance as I said

jarob10

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 22, 2017
Uk
Following my £1500 ebike theft payout under home & contents policy last year, Lv= have increased my premium from £220 per year to £305.

Pretty reasonable I think.

Michael Price

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2018
I agree - check the exact terms

Also - check the exact terms for how they expect the bikes to be secured
My bike specific policy needs them to be locked to the frame of the shed and by a 'Sold Secure' Gold standard lock
a slightly cheaper ebike would only use silver
The house insurance is actually more reasonable and seems to just say that as long as the shed is locked and the bike locked inside it then it is covered for theft from home
Not sure they would be so reasonable if they were stolen and I claimed for 2 ebikes!!
Hence - I stick to the more extreme requirements and lock the bikes to the frame via a Kryptonite gold lock