Insurance for electric bike - looking for a recommendation and advice

SasaP

Just Joined
May 16, 2019
Hi Guys,

I am planning to buy electric bike in next few months, but considering that that is a quite an investment for me, I was thinking to insure it but not sure how and where.

Please, can you guys share some of yours experience regarding the insurance?..I found one that looks interesting but I am not sure..does anyone have any experience with this insurance?

Thanks a lot

mountaindweller

Finding my (electric) wheels
May 15, 2019
go into go compare, and the AA insurance is really good with cover at home, away and even abroad, i took out house and contents policy and got introduction offer all under 200

geoff967

Pedelecer
Jan 8, 2019
Hi,
I am looking at Lite lok £90 for my Gazelle c7 cost £2749.
if you purchase lite lok from them they will insure me for £40 per year.
Only stipulation is "suggested" photo of bike locked up each time.
No issue with camera phones really as picture is date and time stamped.
When as a Luddite I queried photo requirements was advised not mandatory but will be ensuring I have this in writing before purchasing.
Lock is flexible and gold rated.
Normal stand alone insurance is approx £140.
No connection but my local bike shop says go with it.

Reactions: SasaP

zoros

Pedelecer
May 15, 2019
I looked at standalone EBike insurance and it is obviously easy money for the insurance companies by the looks of the quotes! Best quote I got was £126/annum, so I rang my home insurance company and checked if bikes were on my policy. They said no.
I asked for a quote for my £2500 EBike for the remainder of the insurance period (5 months) and they came back with.....wait for it....... £2.30p ???!

TheBag

Pedelecer
Apr 25, 2019
I looked at standalone EBike insurance and it is obviously easy money for the insurance companies by the looks of the quotes! Best quote I got was £126/annum, so I rang my home insurance company and checked if bikes were on my policy. They said no.
I asked for a quote for my £2500 EBike for the remainder of the insurance period (5 months) and they came back with.....wait for it....... £2.30p ???!
If you do add it to your home insurance, remember that this will not cover liability i.e. if you hit a car, you will still be liable to pay damages if it's your fault.

For cheap liability cover, you can sign up for the commuter membership here (https://britishcycling.org.uk) and if you are a HSBC account holder or want to dishonestly :rolleyes: use the numbers "465945", you can get the membership for £24 off making it £13 for the year which also gives you 10% off at a bunch of big retailers like Evans and Halfords.

Last edited:

SasaP

Just Joined
May 16, 2019
Thanks ! Unbelivable!..only 2.30p?!..well it's a no brainer..you just go with them and extend your insurance to bike.

SasaP

Just Joined
May 16, 2019
If you do add it to your home insurance, remember that this will not cover liability i.e. if you hit a car, you will still be liable to pay damages if it's your fault.

For cheap liability cover, you can sign up for the commuter membership here and if you are a HSBC account holder or want to dishonestly :rolleyes: use the numbers "465945", you can get the membership for £24 off making it £13 for the year which also gives you 10% off at a bunch of big retailers like Evans and Halfords.
Hi Is this something that would be smart to consider?

Is that the model that you guys would recommend?..home and bike insurance?

zoros

Pedelecer
May 15, 2019
Rang my home cover insurers this afternoon (Halifax(Lloyds)) and specifically asked them if I was covered for Public Liability Insurance in case I was responsible for damage etc whilst cycling and they said............yes I was, my home insurance covers me for £1,000,000 PLI across the board including me on my EBike.

So I got cover to the value of £2500 and PLI for the princely sum of £2.30 for the remaining 5 months of my insurance.

Worth checking......

Reactions: Stanebike

Stanebike

Pedelecer
Jan 5, 2020
When I bought my ebike earlier in January I checked my home insurance (LV) and for a nominal sum, can’t remember how much, got the ebike added. The PLI also covers similar to Zoros' above. Had the bike cost less than £2000 it would of been automatically covered. When renewal time came for the home including cover for the ebike it was only 8p dearer than the previous year. Bargain.

mountaindweller

Finding my (electric) wheels
May 15, 2019
I am not sure if it's worth buying an insurance for an electric bike
i have an R&M Supercharger, not a cheap bike as you can appreciate and asked my Home insurance company M & S if i could put in on my contents insurance , no problem !

Gavin

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 11, 2020
The PLI also covers similar to Zoros' above.
I'm intrigued by this. Have you actually checked your policy wording around PLI away from the home? Or just asked over the 'phone?

I ask because both Direct Line (my insurer) and I recently got our knickers in a huge knot around a seperate PLI issue (nothing to do with ebikes), and it left me feeling that they disn't fully understand the implications of PLI "away from the insured address"...

Stanebike

Pedelecer
Jan 5, 2020
I'm intrigued by this. Have you actually checked your policy wording around PLI away from the home? Or just asked over the 'phone?

I ask because both Direct Line (my insurer) and I recently got our knickers in a huge knot around a seperate PLI issue (nothing to do with ebikes), and it left me feeling that they disn't fully understand the implications of PLI "away from the insured address"...
Very interesting point. I obviously need to clearly read the small print. When I asked about adding PLI for bike accidents away from home I was told it was already covered.

Gavin

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 11, 2020
Yes, dedinitely worth being sure. Thankfully bike accidents are rare, but there have been a few bicycle/ pedestrian horror stories in the news recently.

I'll be interested to hear the outcome. I'm the riskiest person in the world, but even I'm starting to think that PLI might be a good idea....

RossG

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 12, 2019
The subject of insurance often pops up here unsurprisingly as it's a bike forum. I have a 20in wheel bike and it's on my house insurance so covered should anyone break in and help themselves, however I don't have insurance for use on the road. The problem is this, like many others my bike has been modified with the addition of a throttle because I wanted precise speed control in heavy traffic, also It's been derestricted although it's not a fast bike by it's very design. All that means is in reality it is technically illegal so cannot be insured so what do others do under those circumstances ? It was discussed only recently on the forum the legality of changing parameters via the display on your bike thus taking it beyond spec, the view being if your machine allows you to make such adjustments you are clear to do so. If that's the case how does that cover you insurance wise?

Gavin

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 11, 2020
Without resurrecting the thread from the other night regarding legality, I think from an insurance perspective it would depend on what questions you were asked at the inception of the policy i.e. "does the insured bike comply with current law and is it roadworthy" or something like that.

What I don't know (because I haven't got as far as getting a PLI quote) is whether it's the bike or the rider that's insured. My gut feeling is that it is the rider, because pushbikes have no unique identifiers like reg number to have a policy tied to them. If this is the case then it would need to be a blanket PLI policy for any bike.

It's for those reasons that I was so surprised that people had been able to get this type of PLI as an add-on to their home insurance, when you consider the number of variables that would affect the insured risk

I'd welcome the views of anyone with experience of PLI in a cycling framework

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
I know someone who was knocked of their S- pedelecs by a car, without no complaint the rider received about 1k compo from the insurers

Gavin

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 11, 2020
I know someone who was knocked of their S- pedelecs by a car, without no complaint the rider received about 1k compo from the insurers
Do you know if that £1K was paid by the car insurer or did the rider have their own policy?