Interpretation of the Highway Code changes

I893469365902345609348566

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 20, 2021
It's foolish to not wear helmets, while badgers do not adhere to the Highway Code. It isn't even in their Badger Library :rolleyes:

Last edited:

AndyBike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 8, 2020
He never wore a helmet either until the nanny state media started nagging so much about it that in the end he gave in and put one on just to shut them up.
Then picked the most fugly one he could find. Probably one of his many children now doesn't have a lid.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Then picked the most fugly one he could find.
Like me he hates cycle helmets so woudn't have even considered style or efficacy.

No problem now of course, he doesn't have to wear one in the chauffeur driven Jag.

PC2017

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 19, 2017
Scunthorpe
It's foolish to not wear helmets
I'd wear a helmet in London just to protect against muggings. As for I893469365902345609348566 I can only imagine your bike is post apocalyptically strewn with badger skulls... Another one for the collection....

Sep 13, 2020
I have always given way to pedestrians waiting to cross - if it seems safe

not so much to be nice to them - more just in case they do something dumb

a head can make a really bad dent in a bonnet!!!

When I have done so since the 'changes' people have reacted exactly the same as before - check if I mean it or look confused generally!

As far as cycling is concerned - there have been some points where I feel drivers have seem to have been expecting me to 'take the lane' at a narrow point such as a central refuge - so there may be more awareness.
It has worked quite well as I always move back to the side immediately after if I can
I've experienced three occasions now where somebody has stepped straight out into the road as I'm approaching. In each case I've quite easily and safely gone round them, either to the left or right, but it's still potentially dangerous. I'm not sure whether they just weren't looking, or so full of their own self important arrogance, they automatically expected me to dodge them.

No other vehicles on the roads at the time. All relatively quiet estate roads.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
No other vehicles on the roads at the time. All relatively quiet estate roads.
I think that quiet of bicycles is the problem. It's astonishing how many rely upon their hearing to cross roads.

I think this arose during the decades when cycling was at a very low ebb but cars had increased enormously in number, so their ears became a pretty good indicator of the road being clear to cross.

They are going to get a shock soon though with all the quiet electric cars coming onto the roads now. Already there's three quarters of a million of them on Britains roads.

Sep 13, 2020
I think that quiet of bicycles is the problem. It's astonishing how many rely upon their hearing to cross roads.

I think this arose during the decades when cycling was at a very low ebb but cars had increased enormously in number, so their ears became a pretty good indicator of the road being clear to cross.

They are going to get a shock soon though with all the quiet electric cars coming onto the roads now. Already there's three quarters of a million of them on Britains roads.
Great point and something I've been wondering about for a time.

I remember watching a TV programme about electric trams and trolleybuses back in the 1940's/50's/60's sort of time, and how they were known as "the silent death" due to the number of people who stepped into their path and were killed or badly injured.

You're probably right about the pedestrians. They just don't look.

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
They do look; but it's their phones they are looking at.

Maybe the answer is an app that warns people of approaching traffic?

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 20, 2021

4g/5G connected Car LIDAR sometimes can't see cyclists but if it could, maybe everyone could be forced by law to wear LIDAR helmets? Or phone GPS accurate to 1cm like the military have, warning of phones approaching on a collision trajectory? The privacy lot wouldn't like it. Bald people might prefer discreet and stylish LIDAR toupees.

Last edited:

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 20, 2021
Great point and something I've been wondering about for a time.

I remember watching a TV programme about electric trams and trolleybuses back in the 1940's/50's/60's sort of time, and how they were known as "the silent death" due to the number of people who stepped into their path and were killed or badly injured.

"Stop! Look! Listen!" is for kids, apparently. The Green Cross Man's message died with David Prowse.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006

"Stop! Look! Listen!" is for kids, apparently. The Green Cross Man's message died with David Prowse.
We just need bicycles to make a noise.

As kids long, long ago, we used to use a bit of a cigarette packet stuck to a chainstay or seatstay and butting into the spokes.

That made a sort of motorcycle like sound as the passing spokes flipped the cardboard.

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 20, 2021
We just need bicycles to make a noise.

As kids long, long ago, we used to use a bit of a cigarette packet stuck to a chainstay or seatstay and butting into the spokes.

That made a sort of motorcycle like sound as the passing spokes flipped the cardboard.
That's a good solution! How many packs did you get through a day? Was there a preferred brand? Were the Benson and Hedges packets better than Marlboro, or did they all use the same cardboard and design? Could you discern by noise what brand of fake motorbike was approaching?

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
That's a good solution! How many packs did you get through a day? Was there a preferred brand? Were the Benson and Hedges packets better than Marlboro, or did they all use the same cardboard and design? Could you discern by noise what brand of fake motorbike was approaching?
We didn't care much but most fags then were Woodbines made by Wills. They were cheap. B & H and Marlboro were much later, in the Woodbines days the other brands were such things as Players Navy Cut, Senior Service, Craven A and Capstan Full Strength. Craven A had a sort of semi filter and were mostly smoked by women. Real men didn't use filtered cigarettes, they took their smoke neat. Capstan Full Strength packets were brown printed to illustrate the colour of their users lungs.

The cardboard lasted well in the dry weather we used to enjoy before we wrecked the climate. Now the weather is just grey and soggy nearly all the time.

Last edited:

Jodel

Pedelecer
Oct 9, 2020
I found it better to mount a strip of Meccano on the seat tube, pivoted so that it could be moved to click against the chain ring as required. Not only was this louder and more durable than the cigarette packet method, it also meant that changing gear altered the sound. This gave a much more 'realistic' engine noise :)

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 20, 2021
Reactions: flecc

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 20, 2021
If I can bear the loss of peace and quiet, I might simply try adding a couple of thick zipties to the forks instead, because that particular noise maker adds drag:

The product advert -