Interpretation of the Highway Code changes

I893469365902345609348566

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 20, 2021
For the edification of any young flibbertigibbet kno' nowts, the original.

Depite my recent wrist breakage incident, I was saddened to see this dead badger about an hour ago. No, I don't recognise it. I'll see if the Council will collect this unfortunate animal for safe disposal, BE AWARE OF BADGERS! :(

Sep 13, 2020
Just going back to this topic - and with emphasis on that case of the driver who was fined for being slightly over the white line and too close to a cyclist coming in the opposite direction, who was nearly in the middle of the road while going past a stationary vehicle.

One thing which is not legislated for on any level, as far as I can see, is the situation I've been in several times recently, where I'm going down a road with many cars parked on both sides, thus narrowing the total available road space. As a consequence there is only a very narrow gap between me and a car coming in the opposite direction. That situation is not the fault of either of us, but the net effect is identical to the one where the driver got a fine.

I will say I've not felt in any danger on any of the occasions, as both me and the cars have passed in straight line parallel, with sufficient space to avoid a collision. Obviously the speeds were not very fast, but the situation effectively identical and could be repeated several times on the same stretch, and over many days.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: flecc

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 20, 2021
Just going back to this topic - and with emphasis on that case of the driver who was fined for being slightly over the white line and too close to a cyclist coming in the opposite direction, who was nearly in the middle of the road while going past a stationary vehicle.

One thing which is not legislated for on any level, as far as I can see, is the situation I've been in several times recently, where I'm going down a road with many cars parked on both sides, thus narrowing the total available road space. As a consequence there is only a very narrow gap between me and a car coming in the opposite direction. That situation is not the fault of either of us, but the net effect is identical to the one where the driver got a fine.

I will say I've not felt in any danger on any of the occasions, as both me and the cars have passed in straight line parallel, with sufficient space to avoid a collision. Obviously the speeds were not very fast, but the situation effectively identical and could be repeated several times on the same stretch, and over many days.
Could this driver be fined? I thought we were all going to end up colliding. I have his number plate in a second video

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Could this driver be fined? I thought we were all going to end up colliding. I have his number plate in a second video

Definitely yes. Not ensuring there was adequate space to pass is Driving without Due Care and Attention, and your video is a clear cut case of that happening to you.

It's pity the number plate is in a second video, since that weakens the identification evidence.

• Agree
Reactions: PC2017

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 20, 2021
Definitely yes. Not ensuring there was adequate space to pass is Driving without Due Care and Attention, and your video is a clear cut case of that happening to you.

It's pity the number plate is in a second video, since that weakens the identification evidence.
How do I get this driver fined?

That video on youtube was brightened a bit, but I have the original stored on my computer. It's 3.5gb in size and far too long to email. It also contains footage of me stopping to pee.

My camera doesn't record correct date and time info, would that matter? All videos files have a listed creation date in 2018 or something.

On the original footage his number plate is clearly visible as he passes by. The truck driver had to avoid a parked car, which is why there was very little room on my side of the road.

This video is also edited, but has a screenshot of the original video which clearly shows that driver's number plate, at the end of the video

PC2017

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 19, 2017
Scunthorpe
I think is was more possible "carelessness" and due care and attention, The driver should because of the hierarchy, give way to you as a cyclist.

How do I get this driver fined?
You might not be able to "fine" per se, but you should check with your local constabulary, to see if they have a video evidence route for possible prosecution, email address and email the a link to YT - Be aware you may be called upon to testify in extreme cases so make sure you (& your bike) is above reproach.

• Agree

PC2017

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 19, 2017
Scunthorpe
I believe some police forces have adopted a "Rat on a dangerous driver" policy with the aim to address the increased number of "caught on cam" incidents. With the uptake & accessibility to HD video equipment, it also acts as a self fulfilling prophecy, drivers who feel they could be caught doing misdeeds may be less inclined to drive recklessly or with more due care and attention.

• Agree
Sep 13, 2020

Yeah, that was obviously extremely dangerous. Especially to the car driver ironically enough. If his gamble hadn't worked out, I reckon that in the split millisecond where it became obvious that they were going to collide, you might well have been able to take evasive action by virtue of lower speed and nimbleness. Hopefully you would have avoided the high speed pushback of the car in your direction.

Don't know. Just a theory as it plays out in my mind's eye. Probably completely wrong.

Reactions: PC2017

richtea99

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 8, 2020
One second elapses (tops) from overtake to brake and then into what would have been your area. There's absolutely no room for error by any of the 3 vehicles involved. It wasn't skillful - it was luck that nobody got hurt.

The driver needs educating - not necessarily punishing, and a 'driver aware' course or similar would achieve that, so it's worth pursuing if you have the patience.

• Agree
Reactions: PC2017 and flecc