Introduce myself

Sidl

Just Joined
Mar 24, 2012
Newcastle upon Tyne
Hi I'm Sid
68yrs old and a regular electric biker. I am on to my fourth bike at the moment.
Joined as I am wondering if anyone knows wether I can change the MH battery to lead acid? It is 16.8V and I was thinking of a 12V and a 6V in parallel. I am only getting ten miles range and cannot sourse a replacement.
Regards

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
That sounds like the SRAM Sparc motor unit? If so, the current obtainable battery for these is an 18 volt lithium one, so I think the pairing of a 12 v and 6 v in series should work fine.

BrianSmithers

Pedelecer
Apr 21, 2011
DA1
and I was thinking of a 12V and a 6V in parallel.
Regards
That would cause the 12v battery to overcharge the 6v. To add voltages you put batteries in series.

To double the current supply you would parallel identical batteries and the problem there is that they won't be identical, so usually you have to include substantially rated diodes in series with each battery so each doesn't try charge the other.

- Brian

stephenbeetleman

Finding my (electric) wheels
Apr 24, 2010
Hi Guys,

I've been on the site for a while but not yet introduced myself. You guys are a wealth of knowledge on here on electric bikes, its a great resource to have for sure. I will post seperately looking for advice re an ebike in a seperate thread. I am yet to take the plunge so hopefully your advice will come in handy.:)

Stephen
(Northern Ireland)