Invitation to all E bikers - why not have a go 23 June

Atmosphere

Pedelecer
Aug 2, 2008
Bristol
www.electricbikes.org.uk
As part of the Electric Bike Festival on 23rd June in Bristol we have an Open Race up Park Street which will be open to all

The race is straight up the hill as quick as you can and see how you get on. It is done to show people just how good electric bikes are these days so taking part is the main aim - though winning would be nice

There are 2 categories 1) Road legal pedelecs 2) Larger motored electric bicycles

It will be great fun to show off your bike and see what it can do. there will be prizes for winners but have to confirm what they are yet

You WILL need to register before the day and we will send out more details before the event to all registered (if that makes sense :rolleyes: )

So why not stick your names down - Middle button at the top of the page
Electric Sunday

Last edited:

mountainsport

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 6, 2012
Good morning Atmosphere,

When you say that there are two types of catergories,road legal pedelecs and electric bikes with larger motors,do you mean from 250watt and upwards?

Mountainsport

funkylyn

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 22, 2011
South Shields, Tyne & Wear
Not knowing Bristol, are there any parking arrangements made for entrants?
Plenty parking around Mike, its held on Cathedral green, I got parked on the street not 100 mtrs away, but there was a large carpark very near too, no doubt Alistair will be able to give more info.
It was a really good day out, thats for sure :)

Lynda :)

Atmosphere

Pedelecer
Aug 2, 2008
Bristol
www.electricbikes.org.uk
mountainsport - yep anything with more than a 250w motor in that category

Mike - lots of parking around the area with a large carpark just behind College Green for bigger vehicles

Lots of things going on for the day so bring family and friends

103Alex1

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2012
Great idea and looks like a great day.

mountainsport - yep anything with more than a 250w motor in that category
I'd imagine many people will think twice and consider it only wearing a hood, dark glasses, and a getaway car for riders in the wings after the recent hubris on here and open threats from certain high profile dealers about making reports to the cops concerning certain bikes in that category. Or presumably it's expected that they'll all have number plates and tax discs ?

Knowing there are people with those attitudes around and an openly stated desire to cause trouble hardly inspires any sort of participation of >250W bikes in anything, even in contained and regulated circumstances with H&S on tap.

mike killay

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 17, 2011
Well, that's me entered with my Tonaro, thanks Funklyn and Atmosphere for parking info, probably bring my campervan.
Mike

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I'd imagine many people will think twice and consider it only wearing a hood, dark glasses, and a getaway car for riders in the wings after the recent hubris on here and open threats from certain high profile dealers about making reports to the cops concerning certain bikes in that category. Or presumably it's expected that they'll all have number plates and tax discs ?

Knowing there are people with those attitudes around and an openly stated desire to cause trouble hardly inspires any sort of participation of >250W bikes in anything, even in contained and regulated circumstances with H&S on tap.
I don't see any problem, the road is closed for the event, so those with higher power bikes have nothing to fear. It's not unlike the situation that existed at the Presteigne e-bike rallies where all sorts of strictly illegal bikes participated and entered the races.

Martin1

Finding my (electric) wheels
Aug 29, 2012
TW13
Great idea and looks like a great day.

Could this just be an elaborate ploy by Kudos Dave to draw us riders of the Devils Spawn out into the open and face the devine retribution of VOSA and Bristol Plod!

D

Deleted member 4366

The road is closed for the race, so it counts as private property with the owners permission. Probably the only chance to ride your bike legally.

103Alex1

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2012
flecc - exactly
We have most of the City centre closed off for this day and especially Park Street which is why we can open it for non road legal bikes
Ah - I see. So the fact that the public have access to the area so could potentially do what someone did to the Oxford & Cambridge boat race last year has no relevance in terms of the Road Traffic Act then ? Just trying to be clear on this as none of it actually adds up in my head.

D

Deleted member 4366

The public don't have access to the road during the races.

103Alex1

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2012
So it's in every sense the same as operating a motor vehicle on private land (i.e. anyone can ride one of these bikes in that race) - or are there exceptions people should be aware of which might potentially land them in the poo.

50 Hertz

Pedelecer
Mar 6, 2013
The public don't have access to the road during the races.
I don't wish to be a kill joy but.....

If the bike sits outside the definition of an electrically assisted bike, in law it becomes something else, probably a moped or mechanically propelled vehicle. Road closures are permitted for cycling events but as far as I know, you can't close a road for motor sport events. On this occaision, a road closure has been obtained for cycling purposes, but mopeds and mechanically propelled vehicles will be taking part (bikes with motors exceeding 250 Watts). The organisers know this and are actively promoting the participation of motor vehicles. Was this fact disclosed at the time the application to close the road was made? I'm not sure that what is being promoted is legal.

Last edited:

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
you can't close a road for motor sport events.
It's not a sport event, there can be no winners and no prizes are on offer. The closed road is being used solely for demonstration purposes, so it's a commercially sponsored event.

103Alex1

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2012
So they'll only be looking out for anyone riding their bikes home then ? ;)

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
So they'll only be looking out for anyone riding their bikes home then ? ;)
Exactly the same way that the police look out for drivers after Saturday night parties?

Seriously, I very much doubt illegal e-bikes would cross the police mind.

50 Hertz

Pedelecer
Mar 6, 2013
It's not a sport event, there can be no winners and no prizes are on offer. The closed road is being used solely for demonstration purposes, so it's a commercially sponsored event.
"As part of the Electric Bike Festival on 23rd June in Bristol we have an Open Race up Park Street which will be open to all."

"The race is straight up the hill as quick as you can and see how you get on. There will be prizes for winners but have to confirm what they are yet."

This sounds pretty much like a competitive event with prizes on offer to me. It also sounds like a competative event in which motor vehicles will be competing on closed roads. I'm still not convinced that this is legal.

In truth, I'm not really bothered either way, but this could back-fire and do more harm than good. Why not just keep it legal? If you are promoting ebikes and their virtues, limit it to ebikes. Why include the moped boys? It's daft.

Last edited: