Is a 28 mile round commute too far?

C

Cyclezee

Hi there,

I'm looking into getting my first electric bike. I have a standard dutch style schwinn bicycle which haven't used in years, I bought this with intentions to ditch the car and cycle to work but then moved house and I feel it's too far to commute on standard bike.

I've popped my address into google maps and done a cycle route and It calculates the route at 14 miles each way, as an unfit (I'm very overweight) newbie, in all honestly will an electric bike be do-able over that distance?

Back to my weight, as I am well over 100kg, I'm aware I will probably require a more hefty battery than the standard ones as the quote of 30miles in a charge will be a lot less for me I'm guessing?

I'm after a sit up and beg dutch style bike, with a low step through. I like the Juicy bikes but don't know if I'll be too heavy.

Looking forward to hearing your opinions,
Thanks! :)
Hi KellyBear,

One of our customers is over 150Kg or 25 stone so I am confident that an eZee bike or conversion kit for your Schwinn would give the performance and range that you are looking for............unless you are heavier than that?
There is also the option of larger capacity batteries to give even greater range.

jackhandy

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 20, 2012
the Cornish Alps
Bear in mind that if you are using a tow path for 85% of the journey you will not be able to do the journey at the same speed you would on the road. It may be flat but you will probably encounter walkers, fisherfolk and other cyclists necessitating slower speeds which means that you would be looking at a commute of nearer 2 hours than 1 hour.
That's a good point.

My Ezee kit has the 14ah battery & I'd expect to get 40 miles range using that much towpath, but whereas I use power level 3 on the road, I'm in level 2 on trails & paths where there are likely to be pedestrians, dogs etc. Much slower.

KellyBear

Pedelecer
Mar 18, 2014
Greater Manchester
I think I'm about 125kg - 130kg so that should be fine.

Do you have any more pictures of the ezee sprint 8 (the one with the black and red tyres and flowers)?

It is a bit more than I was hoping to pay but it sounds like it has the power I need so that's good.

If I was to go down the bike conversion route, can most local bike shops fit one of the ezee ones?

Thank you everyone for all your help, suggestions and advice.... Very much appreciated :)

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
I think zero to 14 miles each way could prove too much.

Rather than part car/part bike, consider cycling in, public transport back and back in next morning and then cycle home.

Or cycle both ways, but only aim for two or three days a week to start with.

I can't see the point of messing around with a kit if you can afford a new bike.

A competent bike shop should be able to fit a kit, but in reality few will want/be able to.

Also there is bound to be wear on the bike parts of your Schwinn, so you are less likely to break down with the new components on a new bike.

Reactions: SRS and peerjay56
C

Cyclezee

I think I'm about 125kg - 130kg so that should be fine.

Do you have any more pictures of the ezee sprint 8 (the one with the black and red tyres and flowers)?

It is a bit more than I was hoping to pay but it sounds like it has the power I need so that's good.

If I was to go down the bike conversion route, can most local bike shops fit one of the ezee ones?

Thank you everyone for all your help, suggestions and advice.... Very much appreciated :)
Hi KellyBear,
We only have one photo of that particular model and one in stock right now without the basket.
Here below is a view of the same model without the Anne Rosat graphics showing the other side and handle bar console.IMG_7648-e1369984139598-900x400.jpg

KK console.JPG

As for a local bike shop doing a conversion for you, it would be advisable to ask them first and perhaps take copy of the installation guide that can be downloaded from this page of our website http://cyclezee.com/ezee-downloads.html

D

Deleted member 4366

With a full charge I can get 12-13 miles on full power (20+mph flat riding) )without pedalling.
That seems very low. I guess that's with a 10aH battery, not the standard 15aH Ezee one. Even when I was unfit, I was getting over 30 miles out of a crappy 9aH battery, and I'm 100kg, but that was with light pedalling and a 15mph motor. I'm sure that OP should be able to do the return journey with a 15aH battery, especially as it sounds like it's fairly flat. My 30 miles includes moderate hills.

C

Cyclezee

That seems very low. I guess that's with a 10aH battery, not the standard 15aH Ezee one. Even when I was unfit, I was getting over 30 miles out of a crappy 9aH battery, and I'm 100kg, but that was with light pedalling and a 15mph motor. I'm sure that OP should be able to do the return journey with a 15aH battery, especially as it sounds like it's fairly flat. My 30 miles includes moderate hills.
Wehey isn't using an eZee battery, he has a 3rd party 48v 10Ah battery and to be honest I wouldn't expect much more than the range he is getting when not pedalling and giving it full power on the throttle.

JuicyBike

Trade Member
Jan 26, 2009
Derbyshire
Either our new Grande or Classic will be fine for completing that journey and will cope with the hills up to 125kgs. Not sure that you will though KB.

Why are you converting to two wheels - for fitness or to save money?

If it's to save money and you'd like to travel quickly then make sure you get a bike designed for high speed.

Take a look at our fully legal and crash tested Retro Scooter with 3000watt motor running at 60 volts. That will do your journey at 30mph quite safely and legally.

http://www.juicybike.info/electric-bikes/electric-bikes/product/116-retro-li-electric-scooter

In all honesty you would be hard pushed to complete your commute on a pedelec, even one as beautiful as a Juicy.

Take up a challenge that is realistically achievable, perhaps cycling part way to a railway station as suggested.
Incidently, the Retro costs around 20p to charge and has a
range of 30 miles - so you'd save a fortune. All our bikes are also available on interest free credit.

Last edited:

KellyBear

Pedelecer
Mar 18, 2014
Greater Manchester
Thank you everyone for your help, recommendations and advice. I've relooked into my route, and I could cycle 4 miles to the tram stop and then catch a tram from there to work, which I think is a lot more do-able isn't it?

The cost of the tram would be about the same as my parking, but would therefore be saving on fuel as my overall aim is to cut back on the car parking costs at work and to get fitter.

I was hoping to maybe use the cycle to work scheme, but having looked into that, I don't think i would be eligible through my work but would like to look at ideally getting a bike on interest free credit.

Last edited:

Clockwise

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 28, 2013
Thank you everyone for your help, recommendations and advice. I've relooked into my route, and I could cycle 4 miles to the tram stop and then catch a tram from there to work, which I think is a lot more do-able isn't it?
4 miles is about 20-30mins cycle for most people, 12mph average speed(15mph ebike, stopping for and things) is 1mile each 5min. I think it's a reasonable starting point, after a month or so once you are doing the 4 miles without any issues you can always go to the next tram stop and then add a stop each time you can until the whole journey is by bike, if the motivation is fitness along with the money then that could give you a nice goal to help spur you on.

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
very stylish - very good brakes.
the motor looks like a 3kg 8-Fun SWX type, not good for your weight, no suspension: not very comfortable on long rides. Also the standard battery size is not enough, you'll need the upgraded battery.

D

Deleted member 4366

If you park your bike in the same spot in a public place every day, the chances are that one day soon when you come back to it, you'll find that something is missing, if not the whole bike. I don't like the idea of riding to the tram stop at all for that reason. The same applies if you don't have anywhere secure to park at work.

If the tram stop is only four miles away, you should consider a non-electric bike. You can get good used ones from Ebay for less than £100.

The Pedego is a nice bike. It would be very desireable for our light-fingered friends. They could have the battery away in seconds. I'm pretty sure that the motor is a Dapu like the Oxygen and Wisper. Thy're made also for the USA market, so should have 20mph capability, but at that speed, you can expect less than 20 miles with the 10ah battery.

Reactions: RobF

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
if you only ride 4 miles there and 4 miles back to/from the tram stop, then the Pedego will do it in style.
But something like this £675 folding Zephyr CD may be more suitable.
It is slightly ugly but does not attract attention.
The crank drive on small 20" wheels will take your weight easily, full suspension makes riding on small wheels comfortable enough for the distance and they may let you take it inside the tram.

Last edited:

KellyBear

Pedelecer
Mar 18, 2014
Greater Manchester
Excellent - thank you will look at these now. And thanks for your opinions on the other bike.

Out of interest how did you know it was that motor and what do I need to look for?

A folding bike would be a good option as I could then take it on the tram with me, but the idea would be to build up to a further distance if possible - not saying a folding bike can't go further but you know what I mean.

In terms of security, the tram stop has it's usual bike stands but also bike lockers, I am going to look into these next week to see if there are any actually available.

Leaving my bike locked up at work would be slightly safer, I'd say well over 100 people commute to my workplace on a bike and all the bike stands are covered by CCTV and security fellas on segways zoom round the site too.

There's propositions for a new 'cycle hub' to be opened at my workplace, it's £10 a month but offers indoor security.
http://cycling.tfgm.com/join-a-hub-media-city.htm

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
The Pedego is a nice bike. It would be very desireable for our light-fingered friends. They could have the battery away in seconds. I'm pretty sure that the motor is a Dapu like the Oxygen and Wisper. Thy're made also for the USA market, so should have 20mph capability, but at that speed, you can expect less than 20 miles with the 10ah battery.
the US model has a much bigger direct drive motor:

JuicyBike

Trade Member
Jan 26, 2009
Derbyshire

The cost of the tram would be about the same as my parking, but would therefore be saving on fuel as my overall aim is to cut back on the car parking costs at work and to get fitter.

I was hoping to maybe use the cycle to work scheme, but having looked into that, I don't think i would be eligible through my work but would like to look at ideally getting a bike on interest free credit.
Much more doable KB and I'd go for looking at the next tram stop too - 5 or 6 miles each way per day is an ideal start.

As for Cyclescheme, we recently arranged a demo day at Media City to encourage people to take up the scheme. But you're right, not everyone is on the right contract of employment for the scheme - most unfair in my opinion.

You may like to know that you can catch a train from Manchester to New Mills, Newtown (30mins) and be 300 Metres from our Trade Centre, where we can easily offer demo rides... Even if you didn't like our bikes in the flesh an e-bike demo ride explains such a great deal and will inform your eventual purchase.

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
Excellent - thank you will look at these now. And thanks for your opinions on the other bike.

Out of interest how did you know it was that motor and what do I need to look for?
http://cycling.tfgm.com/join-a-hub-media-city.htm
By googling.
There are typically only 3 types of rear hub motors: 3kg units like 8-Fun SWX , 4.5kg units like the 8-Fun BPM (Big Powerful Motor) and 6.5kg units direct drive like the Magic Pie. The maximum power you can get out of each motor depends on the battery voltage, the maximum continuous current that you can pull from the battery and the size of the motor magnets. The size of the motor is a giveaway.
The manufacturers are of course obliged to make the bikes legal by limiting their speed but not so much their motor power.
In e-bikes, if you need more power because of hills or headwinds, there is no substitute for brute force.