Is a 28 mile round commute too far?

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
The Pedego has a steel frame, forks, and balloon tyres.

It will probably ride better than most aluminum/cheapo suspension forks ebikes.

It is likely to be heavy, even for an ebike, which is worth bearing in mind if you have to (wo)manhandle it through any restrictor gates found on some paths.

I agree with d8veh about parking it, although I suppose a bike locker ought to be OK.

KellyBear

Pedelecer
Mar 18, 2014
Greater Manchester
Much more doable KB and I'd go for looking at the next tram stop too - 5 or 6 miles each way per day is an ideal start.

As for Cyclescheme, we recently arranged a demo day at Media City to encourage people to take up the scheme. But you're right, not everyone is on the right contract of employment for the scheme - most unfair in my opinion.

You may like to know that you can catch a train from Manchester to New Mills, Newtown (30mins) and be 300 Metres from our Trade Centre, where we can easily offer demo rides... Even if you didn't like our bikes in the flesh an e-bike demo ride explains such a great deal and will inform your eventual purchase.
I've been working there for 2.5 years on continuous fixed term contracts but this means I'm not eligible and as you know, this is the case for most. It's just seen as the 'norm' in that industry... I work in an online dept so my job is secure (as apposed to someone who works on my TV show) but still only have a FTC.

Are you open today? I might come down and have a look today or tomorrow (I'm off work this week you see).

D

Deleted member 4366

By googling.
There are typically only 3 types of rear hub motors: 3kg units like 8-Fun SWX , 4.5kg units like the 8-Fun BPM (Big Powerful Motor) and 6.5kg units direct drive like the Magic Pie.
What about Dapu, MXUS, Ananda, Aikema and Xofo?

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
there are differences of course between models of the same type but it's mostly down to choice of winding - the better quality magnets may help a bit but I rode a bike with the Dapu motor two years ago, compared it against the SWXK, there was no perceptible difference. But if you optimize the controller and the battery, then you can possibly see some difference.

D

Deleted member 4366

KB referred to the step thru comfort cruiser

All the US step thru comfort cruisers have DD motor
The point was that these motors are used by Pedego in both the USA and European markets. Therefore it's probable that they use the same system, which has the same speed and power potential. You can see that the batteries are the same as well as the motor. I can't believe that they use a different controller. Which bike they're in is irrelevant.

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
The point was that these motors are used by Pedego in both the USA and European markets. Therefore it's probable that they use the same system, which has the same speed and power potential. You can see that the batteries are the same as well as the motor. I can't believe that they use a different controller. Which bike they're in is irrelevant.
The battery pack may be the same, the controller may not.

you can spot the difference:

UK model:

US model:

JuicyBike

Trade Member
Jan 26, 2009
Derbyshire
I've been working there for 2.5 years on continuous fixed term contracts but this means I'm not eligible and as you know, this is the case for most. It's just seen as the 'norm' in that industry... I work in an online dept so my job is secure (as apposed to someone who works on my TV show) but still only have a FTC.

Are you open today? I might come down and have a look today or tomorrow (I'm off work this week you see).
Yes, we're open Thursdays, Fridays and Saturdays at the trade centre in New Mills and everyday in Buxton, which is the next nearest shop to you.

If you give us a little notice I can make sure you get some of our time set aside especially for you. Might be more likely to rain Friday and Saturday than today, according to the latest forecast...
:)

benjy_a

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 25, 2009
28 miles a day on an electric bike is easy with average fitness. I've been doing 35 a day on an electrified Brompton for 2 years.

Don't think about it too much, buy a good powerful bike and a second charger to leave at work. Start off once or twice a week and work up from there. You'll soon be fit enough.

Geebee

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 26, 2010
Australia
28 miles a day on an electric bike is easy with average fitness. I've been doing 35 a day on an electrified Brompton for 2 years.

Don't think about it too much, buy a good powerful bike and a second charger to leave at work. Start off once or twice a week and work up from there. You'll soon be fit enough.
Maybe do some weekend riding until you are comfortable with a 14 mile ride and then follow the above?

D

Deleted member 4366

The battery pack may be the same, the controller may not.

you can spot the difference:
Sorry, I forgot the link:
'UK model:
http://pedegoeurope.com/wp-content/uploads/ST-Olive-Cr.jpg

USA model
http://www.pedegoelectricbikes.com/shop/step-thru-interceptor-black-with-black-rims/

You see that they show the same motor and battery. In USA, the 48v battery is standard, while as in Europe, it's optional.

The whole argument is pointless anyway. That Dapu motor is very powerful. It's the one they use on the BH Emotion Neos, which are also used in USA Neos at 48v for the extra speed, so we know its capability.

KellyBear

Pedelecer
Mar 18, 2014
Greater Manchester
Sorry, I forgot the link:
'UK model:
http://pedegoeurope.com/wp-content/uploads/ST-Olive-Cr.jpg

USA model
http://www.pedegoelectricbikes.com/shop/step-thru-interceptor-black-with-black-rims/

You see that they show the same motor and battery. In USA, the 48v battery is standard, while as in Europe, it's optional.

The whole argument is pointless anyway. That Dapu motor is very powerful. It's the one they use on the BH Emotion Neos, which are also used in USA Neos at 48v for the extra speed, so we know its capability.
Sorry I'm a bit confused - are you saying that the Euro Pedego bike is a good spec?

I'm feeling bewildered with my options.... :)

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
KB - don't pay any attention to d8veh's and my comments, we are arguing about motors. I say that the £1,495 comfort cruiser has a less powerful motor than the £1900 interceptor. Both are good bikes, I wouldn't buy any of them because I am a miserable old git who counts each penny. Mind you, d8veh is not much better.

Last edited:
Reactions: Cyclezee
D

Deleted member 4366

You need to confirm with them the speed capability, and whether they can be de-restricted. I can find out in a few weeks, when I should be able to get a bit more inside info. A 48v battery will not only give a higher potential top speed, but also more power. They offer that as an option. The only question is whether they restrict the speed by fixed software in the controller, which I doubt they do. Torque (climbing power) shouldn't be a problem.

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
d8veh,
it seems that the comfort cruiser is similar to the Oxygen Diva.
The Interceptor is much of a challenge to the Neo extreme.

comfort cruiser:

Motor
Brushless Geared Hub Motor on Rear wheel

Power Rating
250 Watt

Gears & Speeds
7 Speed Shimano Gears and Shimano Chain with matching chain guard

Batteries
Lithium ion in a Removable Pack

Shifter
Left hand twist grip shifter

Bell
Mounted on the handlebar

Charger
Smart Charger Included

Amps
10Ah / 15Ah

Volts
36 Volt

Tyres
Kenda 26″ x 2.30″ K-RAD Urban Tires

Speed
15 MPH using motor power only

Distance
30-50 miles per charge (depending on rider weight & terrain)

Throttle Type
Twist Throttle Variable Speed Control (restricted to 6kph on the continent)

Frame Type
6061 Light Weight Aluminum

Handlebars
Cruiser Style with Promax Stem

Braking System
Avid BB-7 Front & Rear Disc Brakes

Drive System
Rear Hub Motor (Motor is in rear wheel)

Measurements
Frame Size 17″ Axle to Axle 46″ Handlebars 28″

Seat
Pedego Padded Adjustable Seat

Bicycle Warranty
2 Year

Battery Warranty
2 Year Full, 3 Year Limited Warranty

Weight
Bicycle Only – 22KG Battery Pack – 3KG Total Weight – 25KG

Tyre Package
Upgraded Creme Balloon Package, Upgraded Brown Balloon Package, Upgraded Black Balloon Package, Upgraded Grey Balloon Package, Standard White Wall Tires

Battery Options
Upgraded 36V 15AMP Hour Lithium Ion Battery, Standard 36V 10 AMP Hour Lithium Ion Battery, Upgraded 48V 10 AMP Hour Lithium Ion Battery

interceptor:

Motor
Brushless Geared Hub Motor on Rear wheel

Power Rating
500 Watt

Gears & Speeds
7 Speed Shimano Gears and Shimano Chain

Batteries
Lithium in a Removable Pack

Shifter
Shimano SIS Index Shifter

Bell
Standard

Charger
Smart Charger Included

Amps
10 Ah (480 Watt Hours)

Volts
48 Volt

Tires
Schwalbe Fat Frank Balloon Suspension Tires with Kevlar 26″ x 2.35″

Speed
20 MPH using motor power only

Distance
30-50 miles per charge(depending on rider weight & terrain)

Throttle Type
Twist Throttle Variable Speed Control with quick connect fittings

Frame Type
6061 Light Weight Aluminum

Handlebars
Cruiser Style with Promax Stem

Braking System
Avid BB-7 Front Disc Brakes and Dia-Compe Locking Rear Band Brake

Drive System
Rear Hub Motor (Motor is in rear wheel)

Measurements
Frame Size 18″ Axle to Axle 47″ Handlebars 28″

Seat
Pedego Premium Padded Adjustable Suspension Seat with Matching Stitched Handgrips and adjustable Suspension Seat Post

Bicycle Warranty
1 Year

Battery Warranty
3 Year Limited Warranty

Weight
Bicycle Only – 51 lbs Battery Pack – 8 lbs Total Weight – 59 lbs

Tyre Package
Upgraded Creme Balloon Package, Upgraded Brown Balloon Package, Upgraded Black Balloon Package, Upgraded Grey Balloon Package

C

Cyclezee

I had customer who recently bought an eZee Torq visit me this morning with his brothers one year old Pedego Comfort Cruiser, 250w European version.
Basically it can't keep up with the Torq and he wanted me to check if it could be modified to give it a bit more go.
The throttle was restricted to 6 Km/h to comply with EU mainland regulations, but it is a simple enough task de-restrict that.
He is still not satisfied with the performance, so options are to sell it on and buy another Torq or fit an eZee conversion kit.

This one is bright Orange and has Schwalbe Fat Frank Tyres.......cool;)

Clockwise

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 28, 2013
If they are beach cruisers like my electra(not electric just a beach cruiser) then the handlebars could be too wide for normal doors. The pic with the girl doesn't do them justice but often it's a case of them being 2ft across. Very easy and nice to ride but practical wouldn't be that.

KellyBear

Pedelecer
Mar 18, 2014
Greater Manchester
Last edited:

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
Electrically, the Tasman Classic is excellent.
But for 28 miles a day I would buy a model with suspension fork to save my wrists and back.
Not too keen on the colour though.