Is a removeable motor possible?

Nixtoo

Pedelecer
Jan 30, 2016
id really like to convert my second bike but be able to put it back easily. My original has a gsm mid drive which is fab (most of the time).

If I went for a front hub motor could I swap the wheel for a non motorised one easily?

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
yes, it's a 15 minute job if it's my XF07 kit..
you loosen the axle bolts, unplug the motor cable, put the old wheel back on.
To remove the battery, undo the 3 M5 allen bolts and unplug the data cable, the pedal sensor and the speed sensor.

grazie

Pedelecer
May 21, 2016
nr Canterbury, UK
The most elegant/easy solution is the Copenhagen Wheel, in case you didn't already know about it, but it's quite heavy and costly.

Last edited:

Nixtoo

Pedelecer
Jan 30, 2016
The Copenhagen wheels is very pricey, it wouldn’t be easy to remove as the chain length would need to be altered and shifters removed?

Nixtoo

Pedelecer
Jan 30, 2016
Thanks for the replies. I’m now thinking a front hub would probably be the easiest option as I could change the wheel back over.
I’m thinking I will need to build the wheel (or have it built) as it’s 27.5”.

I want it to be road legal so a 250w motor. There seem to be loads on eBay but all built into wheels (mainly 26”). Can anyone recommend somewhere I could buy a (cheapish) light weight front hub motor?

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
although the risk of failures in the hub kits is lower than crank motors,.a plug and play system where each functional block can be easily replaced should still be a worthwhile consideration. Such as (in order of decreasing risk): pedal sensor, brake sensors, speed sensor, LCD, controller, motor wheel. When you put for example a controller inside the motor, you actually increase the failure risk of the controller (because of higher ambient temperature) on top of losing the easy replacement feature.

Nixtoo

Pedelecer
Jan 30, 2016
Very cheap and they give excellent support.
The price is good. Forgot to get them to add a speed sensor, but they can do brake sensors instead of levers.
They’ve quoted for a sensor and a sensorless controller, which one would be best?

D

Deleted member 4366

Definitely the sensored motor with the KT controller.

Nixtoo

Pedelecer
Jan 30, 2016
Definitely the sensored motor with the KT controller.
These are the options she sent
Price:

YTW-06------------75USD

Sensorless Controller------25USD

Sensores Controller-------25USD

Display-----------------------25USD

Pedal Sensor----------------3USD

Throttle---------------------------5USD

Brake Levers-------------------5USD

Brake sensors-----------------6USD

My knowledge level is not high, only built one bike and converted another. I do like learning though. Are there two versions of the YTW-06? One with sensors and one without? I assume if so the one with sensors would be quieter etc.

D

Deleted member 4366

Yes. Two versions. The sensorless one is still pretty smooth and quiet, but you get an annoying delay from the controller while it tries to work out the position of the motor before it gives power, and you get a crappy Li Shui controller.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
and you get a crappy Li Shui controller.
Lishui controllers are best!
If you check the technical questions on the forum, virtually no Lishui, 99% KT.
Why? You don't have silly things like 15 exposed registers to mess with.

Nixtoo

Pedelecer
Jan 30, 2016
I’m hoping it’s all fairly plug and play, with maybe a bit of cable shortening needed?

Nixtoo

Pedelecer
Jan 30, 2016
Can the controller be hidden in the battery box (rack battery)? My current mid drive has an inbuild controller.
The xiondga looks like it may be a safer buy than the keyde, but would leave me with a controller to mount somewhere.
The bike is a Marin Stinson step through, so not many good attachment points.