Is an Electric Bike suitable for me?

AgentGinger

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jul 30, 2008
Ipswich
I'm new to this forum after many months of lurking, so hello to everyone!

I think I'm now ready to take the plunge...but having never tried an electric bike or known anyone with one I would just like the go-ahead from you guys :)

Basically I have M.E so have very little energy to be able to walk places. The bus gets expensive and is irregular where I am, and I cannot afford a car, so electric bike seems like an ideal solution.

However, with an electric bike I would only be able to provide very little pedalling input, so it would mainly be throttle only.:rolleyes:

I live in Suffolk so the terrain is very flat, weight 9st and would only need to do round trips of up to 15miles....and have a budget limitation of £550!!! :eek:

I have a shortlist of three bikes and would really appreciate your input as to whether they would be a realistic choice or not!

PowaCycle Salisbury LPX - POWACYCLE SALISBURY ELECTRIC BIKE BICYCLE LPX- Lithium on eBay, also, Bikes, Cycling, Sporting Goods (end time 07-Aug-08 20:04:33 BST)

Unkown Folder - Electric Folding Bicycle Bike 36V 10Ah Lithium Ion NEW on eBay, also, Bikes, Cycling, Sporting Goods (end time 07-Aug-08 11:22:14 BST)

Synergie Mistral -
SYNERGIE MISTRAL LITHIUM E-Bike Electric Bike Bicycle on eBay, also, Bikes, Cycling, Sporting Goods (end time 08-Aug-08 13:50:17 BST)

All very similar prices, but which do you think suits my needs best? Is the Lithium Polymer battery on the LPX necessarily better than Li-Ion on the others?

Sorry for such a long post, thanks for reading!

Agent Ginger

Last edited:

AgentGinger

Jul 30, 2008
Ipswich
I'm so excited and can't wait to order one, if you think its a good idea after the information posted above! It would give me so much freedom :) Which of those three bikes would you buy and why?

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
In your area the first and third bike would be fine, but best to ignore the folder, always very much second best if a folder isn't essential.

The Synergie is slightly more powerful but there's not much in it, so it's very much a matter of personal preference.

The Li-polymer is the newer technology and saves a little weight, but otherwise there's not much in it.

I think these two are by far the best available in the price range you mention, so you've obviously done your homework well.

AgentGinger

Jul 30, 2008
Ipswich
Thankyou! Your comments are really appreciated, Flecc. How much range do you think they would have with very little peddling?

PS the homework was mainly done on this forum hehe ;)

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
The Powacycle should give you the best part of 20 miles in your flat area, though with normal pedalling they can get to as much as 27 miles on LPX.

The Mistral range I don't know, but it should quite easily do the same 20 miles on mostly throttle only.

These hub motors are at their most efficient when running at near to their maximum speed, so a flat area suits them well. Hills drag down the speed and that loses efficiency and shortens the range a lot.

AgentGinger

Jul 30, 2008
Ipswich
Thankyou once again for your response :) I think I will order the PowaCycle...my reasoning being if there isn't much between the two then it may be easier to source parts for the Salisbury than the Mistral.

Next to save for one for my partner too so we can ride together and he can cycle to work!

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
That's true. Powacycle do also have a few local dealers which can help.

UrbanPuma

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 11, 2007
Hi AgentGinger,

I think you have made the right choice with the powacycle sailsbury. Powacycle are a UK based company who have a long history in the technology field, which is evident in the reliability of the electric system on their bikes.

It will give you so much freedom and is very enjoyable. :)

AgentGinger

Jul 30, 2008
Ipswich
Thankyou :) We've ordered the Salisbury and it will be arriving tomorrow! Its so exciting. Which bikes do you have? I think there should be a bit where our usernames are to include bike type in addition to name and location:D

Its going to be hard to resist the temptation to take my house rabbit for a ride with me when it arrives! *laughs*

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I've put you into the map AgentGinger, and if you go to on your name there in the alphabetical list, you'll see your entry which notes your Powacycle Salisbury.

All the best with your new bike.