Is it dodgy to have a twist throttle?

Bigbee

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 12, 2008
I read some where that owners of bikes with pedal assist and twist throttle should only use the throttle " off road "? If the rider was in an accident on a road and the bike had a throttle on it it could be deemed responsible for the accident and the manufacturer sued?It appears the expensive quality bikes dont have throttles and the cheaper ones normally do.Also I think it wont be long until Brown decides to tax some thing else.Any bikes with a throttle could not be classed a pedal cycle and targeted ,and will need road tax and insurance.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
There are no problems with using a throttle independently without pedalling, these permitted in UK e-bike law. They can only be used in conjunction with pedalling in other EU countries and we are soon to comply with that as well for new bikes. However, existing bikes will not be affected according to the DoT.

Bigbee

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 12, 2008
Thanks flecc.As a newie on here( still to buy a bike!)I would of thought it an advantage to have a throttle?Im suprised that Kalkhoff and others over the £1000 havent done this?

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Thanks flecc.As a newie on here( still to buy a bike!)I would of thought it an advantage to have a throttle?Im suprised that Kalkhoff and others over the £1000 havent done this?
As they are EU area bikes the throttle would only vary the power while pedalling, so less useful. However, in effect these bikes with the Panasonic unit do have a "throttle", since they measure the rider effort and apply power accordingly. As the bike slows and the rider starts working harder, the motor input increases.

Basically it's a bionic system, working with the muscles.

MaryinScotland

Pedelecer
Dec 14, 2006
Dumfries, SW Scotland
As the bike slows and the rider starts working harder, the motor input increases.
As the bike slows, or as the pedals slow? From what I've read, I got the impression that, at least with some pedelecs, you need to slow down the pedals to get maximum help, so you have to change into a higher gear. I suppose you get used to it, but it sounds a bit cockeyed.

I use a throttle bike, because I like to choose how much help I want from the motor.

Mary

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Yes, it's as the pedal rotation slows Mary, but of course that's the same thing as the bike slowing in any given gear. It's probably what I've written earlier that you've read, and it's unique to the Panasonic system.

The working of the system is that the the motor sees the rider's pedalling slowing as an indication that they are struggling, the converse of seeing them spinning as the rider coping fine. That's perfectly logical on a utility bike where pedal cadences are generally much slower than on a sport bike.

Changing up when struggling to get more help makes it seem illogical, but that isn't part of the design spec since that emphasizes economy, it's just a user dodge which tends to subvert that, not in accordance with the handbook.

Last edited:

poppy

Pedelecer
Jun 9, 2008
Covas, Ferrol. La Coruña. Spain
Yes, it's as the pedal rotation slows Mary, but of course that's the same thing as the bike slowing in any given gear. It's probably what I've written earlier that you've read, and it's unique to the Panasonic system.

The working of the system is that the the motor sees the rider's pedalling slowing as an indication that they are struggling, the converse of seeing them spinning as the rider coping fine. That's perfectly logical on a utility bike where pedal cadences are generally much slower than on a sport bike.

Changing up when struggling to get more help makes it seem illogical, but that isn't part of the design spec since that emphasizes economy, it's just a user dodge which tends to subvert that, not in accordance with the handbook.
.[/QUOTE Sorry Tony, but my less than adequate English maybe prevents me from understanding correctly your last paragraph:Does it mean that the manual recommends for an increased help from the motor that you slow down your pedaling, BUT without changing to a higher gear, because that entails much more battery consumption?
Any way isn´t there a balance between higher gear (and more help from the motor) and, on the other hand, the superio effort in the pedaling that obviously implies? In other words, in the end, isn´t a weak rider more confortable pedaling in low gears even if he is getting less help from the motor?

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Panasonic have designed primarily for utility riding with good economy Vicente.

Therefore, when bike manufacturers say anything about it in the handbook they advise changing down on hills, that being better for longer range because it avoids high battery drain.

Riders know that by changing up a gear they can keep the pedal rate slow and retain maximum input from the motor to maintain a good speed, but of course that reduces the range. Not what Panasonic intended.

It works very much as you describe it.

Last edited:

Stephen-Gately

Finding my (electric) wheels
Oct 1, 2008
I think throttles are very dodgy indeed.......I mean all that power at the flick of a throttle, it's a wonder how people manage to control it.

john

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 1, 2007
Manchester
I think throttles are very dodgy indeed.......I mean all that power at the flick of a throttle, it's a wonder how people manage to control it.
The only time I have found control a problem is on mud or ice, particularly with front wheel drive, where you need to be careful not to spin the front wheel and loose traction.

tenderbehind

Pedelecer
Oct 31, 2008
I love the throttle, even with assistance from the motor when pedalling, pedelec, it's nice to relax completely and be able to just sail along doing nothing but having your wrist twist the throttle, e biking would lose a lot of the appeal for me , indeed wouldn't have had too much going for it in the first place if I could'nt use a throttle, glad I've bought my new bike before any legislation comes into force thus spoilng things.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I love the throttle, even with assistance from the motor when pedalling, pedelec, it's nice to relax completely and be able to just sail along doing nothing but having your wrist twist the throttle, e biking would lose a lot of the appeal for me , indeed wouldn't have had too much going for it in the first place if I could'nt use a throttle, glad I've bought my new bike before any legislation comes into force thus spoilng things.
Throttles will still be permitted on new bikes after the change to EU law conformity, but they will only operate while pedalling, so you will still be able to cruise with little effort. That's how current models from such as eZee and Wisper operate in Europe.

tenderbehind

Pedelecer
Oct 31, 2008
Throttles will still be permitted on new bikes after the change to EU law conformity, but they will only operate while pedalling, so you will still be able to cruise with little effort. That's how current models from such as eZee and Wisper operate in Europe.
Thanks for that info flecc, Tony.

Mandy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 23, 2007
I read some where that owners of bikes with pedal assist and twist throttle should only use the throttle " off road "? If the rider was in an accident on a road and the bike had a throttle on it it could be deemed responsible for the accident and the manufacturer sued?It appears the expensive quality bikes dont have throttles and the cheaper ones normally do.Also I think it wont be long until Brown decides to tax some thing else.Any bikes with a throttle could not be classed a pedal cycle and targeted ,and will need road tax and insurance.
Hi Bigbee
I think you will find that having a throttle is fine and as long as you are pedaling whilst using it won't cause a problem at all.
I have a throttle with my Wisper which is certainly not deemed as a cheaper inferior bike and wouldn't be without it and at the end of the day if you require a rest on your jaunt who is going to know that you are not just coasting, as in already built up enough speed to not have to pedal :D
As the government are trying to get more people into cycling I wouldn't worry about changes in the foreseeable future :)
I would have a throttle any day and wouldn't be without it :D

Regards