Is it just me.........

NRG

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 6, 2009
When I joined the forum it was the Alien Gents Special that was all the rage....heck I even bought one and created a mammoth thread :D ;) These 'fave-of-the-day' bikes go around and around, Kudos could well be next...

Willin'

Pedelecer
Apr 2, 2011
I feel the same way about the Nissan Juke as Indalo feels about the Tonaro. I hate the ugly horrible thing yet it's extremely popular and I see lots of them all the time.

Now marmite......mmmm

eddieo

Banned
Jul 7, 2008
Yes I agree, and think there is something not quite right going on here. Far to much attention and repetitive posting from the same old protagonists about these truly horrible creations .....

every time a hill is climbed, up pops a new thread! I mean, if every time I used our bikes on our summer trip in Croatia I had started a fresh thread on the subject, I would have been jumped on.... I posted one long thread/travelogue, complete with pictures, and at times I get accused of being partisan with regards Wisper bikes! Simply astonishing......

While I kinda understand that beauty is in the eye of the beholder, there are limits!lol I have never seen a bike (moped?) get such bad reviews as this one over on German website, and the new yellow one looks even worse if that is at all possible.

As long as some of us are around to add some balance, then that is all we can do..... But for heavens sake try a selection of bikes before going for something like this. When I joined this forum nearly 4 years ago people used to discuss a decent selection of bikes, now threads seem to be dominated by the budget end of the market:confused:

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
When I joined the forum it was the Alien Gents Special that was all the rage....heck I even bought one and created a mammoth thread :D ;) These 'fave-of-the-day' bikes go around and around, Kudos could well be next...
And when the forum first started back in October 2006 it was the eZee Torq that was all the rage, the biggest selling high priced bike at that time, £1195, mainly because it powered to 22 mph. In those earlier forum days, 38% of the bikes owned by members were the eZee brand.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I feel the same way about the Nissan Juke as Indalo feels about the Tonaro. I hate the ugly horrible thing yet it's extremely popular and I see lots of them all the time.

Now marmite......mmmm
Me too, goodness knows what Nissan were thinking of. They wanted to emulate the huge success of the Qashqai but somehow got it hopelessly wrong with the Juke. Once the novelty has passed they are going to be murder to sell on the second hand market.

The original TV ad for the Juke was great though, before they messed that up too.

Mitch1960

Finding my (electric) wheels
Oct 3, 2011
Its not 'just you' Indalo. The eccentric woman always puts Tonaro in CAPITOLS, lol :
I too thought it was blatent advertising, ....M

Jimod

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 9, 2010
Polmont
This thread is taking a turn for the worse. It would be best locked. If people don't want to read about others exploits they don't need to open a thread. It looks like it is starting to get personal. Some of you need to get over yourselves.

DJH

Pedelecer
Nov 8, 2011
North Yorkshire
Life is too short to spend it trading insults. If people want to talk about their biking experiences then fair enough, but perhaps we should have a 'Biking experiences' section so that those who object to reading about people enjoying their bikes need never venture into that section!
Alternatively, if your post expresses enjoyment you could precede it with ' This post exhibits enjoyment' which would then stop certain members of this forum reading further!!!

Last edited:

tillson

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 29, 2008
Life is too short to spend it trading insults. If people want to talk about their biking experiences then fair enough, but perhaps we should have a 'Biking experiences' section so that those who object to reading about people enjoying their bikes need never venture into that section!
I don't think that a new section is needed, reading about people's outings on their bikes can give an insight into a particular model.

I can't say that I feel as though the Tonaro is being promoted by means of some clandestine campaign. I quite like it and can see why it appeals to some. It would be on my, to consider, list if i were on the lookout for a new bike. There is no denying that it is an ugly beast, particularly the new yellow one. I would have thought that they may have gone for hearing-aid beige or ear-wax brown to make it look even more repulsive. That is what they are trying to achieve, isn't it?

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I can't say that I feel as though the Tonaro is being promoted by means of some clandestine campaign. I quite like it and can see why it appeals to some. It would be on my, to consider, list if i were on the lookout for a new bike. There is no denying that it is an ugly beast, particularly the new yellow one. I would have thought that they may have gone for hearing-aid beige or ear-wax brown to make it look even more repulsive. That is what they are trying to achieve, isn't it?
Being especially suitable for off-road, maybe they took their cue from the colour of construction site vehicles. It would certainly stand out flying through woodland tracks!

steveindenmark

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 10, 2011
I have just seen this thread after coming in from a 28km ride over the Danish countryside. I try and not to use the roads and so my ride is over farmers track and forest tracks mainly. It is very wet at the moment but the bike takes it all in it`s stride.

Did I mention it is a TONARO Enduro.

Unfortunately I don`t get commission from Phil at Powerpedals for saying how good my TONARO Enduro is or Jannies TONARO Compy for that matter. I plug them at every opportunity because they really are that good and I feel that new riders asking about electric bikes should know about them so they can seek them out.

I also promote Powerpedals because Phil supplies wonderful aftercare service. Bearing in mind I am in Denmark. Phil has jumped through hoops to make sure Jannie and I are happy with our bikes. We have had a couple of problems but he has sorted them out in double quick time. Phil also offered to send me a bike completely free of charge when I was having a problem fixing my TONARO Enduro.

There is not a conspiracy going on here just very happy TONARO owners.

Thank you for the opportunity of plugging the TONARO again.

Steve

eddieo

Banned
Jul 7, 2008
Denmark (a bit like your contributions) is flat, repetitive and boring..... By the way the welds on that frame are disgusting!lol

eTim

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 19, 2009
Andover, Hants.
Denmark (a bit like your contributions) is flat, repetitive and boring..... By the way the welds on that frame are disgusting!lol
Pidgeon **** welding I think is the term you were looking for, looks like it was welded by an apprentice, I hope whoever did the welding improves before they move onto nuclear subs :D

Now Donkeyhole, that's a new one on me :scratcheshead: :rolleyes:

bode

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 14, 2008
Hertfordshire and Bath
By the way, today I came across a word for someone who loves their bike to excess. I make no judgements; I am neutral in this debate, and just pass it on for what it's worth: "velocipedophile".

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
By the way, today I came across a word for someone who loves their bike to excess. I make no judgements; I am neutral in this debate, and just pass it on for what it's worth: "velocipedophile".
Making a bicycle mechanic a velocipediatrician.

lemmy

Esteemed Pedelecer
here just very happy TONARO owners
Just as ramming Shakespeare down kids' throats at age 11 tends to turn them off it, so people who push too hard for a marque, constantly feel the need to try top browbeat others into agreement and justify their choice loudly damage the marque they attempt to help. It starts to look like that's the only way to sell it.

There are plenty of good bikes out there and I'll assume that Tonaro is one of them in spite of the evangelists. But, as Dr Johnson remarked of one of the guests at a dinner party, 'the more he talks of honesty, the faster I count the spoons'.